No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Anthony Joshua-Charles Martin in Serious Talks, Says Hearn

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EmmaJ View Post
    Because 1) Martin has a belt and 2) it's a probable way to get Joshua a title. Picture a possible unification down the road with Fury should he beat Klitschko in the rematch. Martin should be compensated for essentially going over to England to drop the title.
    You don't compensate a guy to drop a belt by taking his highest purse and increasing it by a factor of 10!

You add that Anthony Joshua is already rated in the top 5 by three of the governing bodies (#2 by the WBC, likely #2 by the IBF, and likely #1 by the WBO), and such a move makes even less sense.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
      because they want a belt and martin is well....boxing challenged would be the politically correct way to say it. they know martin will lose soon and they may not be able to get a belt as easily. if they do win a belt they can hype joshua as heavy weight champ and make even more money so this investment in paying martin big money now will pay them back ten fold.
      Joshua, one everything is updated and Wilder-Povetkin is locked in, will be the top heavyweight challenger for the WBC, WBO, and IBF belts.

Joshua is already starting to be a big deal in the UK, still has marketable fights against Chisora, Haye, Price, a rematch with Whyte, and a possible Fury fight, and there's no need to rush him to a world title belt at this point.

$2m to fight Martin versus $400k to fight Chisora/Stiverne/Jennings has the same impacts on Joshua's career. lol

Comment

I think Joshua wins this fight. I feel he needs to have a few more learning fights before facing the real top guys that can be the norm when being a champion.
        But this could be too good of a chance to turn down.

Comment

Originally posted by DamonJJ View Post
          Not arguing just curious, AJ does 300k PPV alone in the UK? And I assume they would pay $2m to Martin because they are essentially buying a belt from a very beatable opponent in which they could make major major fights like Fury or Wilder and make that money back easily. So it's just a business move.
          Joshua-Whyte, I believe Joshua's first headlining PPV, apparently did 400k PPV buys, selling out the O2.

Paying Martin 1m gbp($1.5m) basically amount to 150k PPV buys; title or not, Martin doesn't move the needle that much in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by vitali1999 View Post
            Highest ranked biggest threat and the Prince is fighting him on his first title defense. What does that say about Wilder fighting un ranked bum Erik Molina his first title defense. It means BUM SQUAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            All it says is that Martin, without the machine building him to his shot, is trying to cash out before anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve plunger View Post
              It could easily be solved Joshua keeps the PPV in the uk and charles Martin gets the PPV for the states ....even if it was just the international tv rights Martin would still get 2 million at least.....if Joshua got 400k PPV against whyte ..I'm sure as hell a world heavyweight title fight will do 500k PPV ..that's 10 million right there ...Martin is worth 2 million easy and he is willing to come over here and risk it so he should be rewarded ...because in a years time if fury is still champion and then it's 2 heavyweight champions of the world fighting for the IBF AND WBA & WBO titles at Wembley stadium ...it will do a mil PPV plus the gate that's some big money down the line
              Charles Martin doesn't have the explicit backing of Showtime, with Showtime's only interest going as far as airing Anthony Joshua's US debut.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                Charles Martin doesn't have the explicit backing of Showtime, with Showtime's only interest going as far as airing Anthony Joshua's US debut.
                Television rights would still be sold to the states.....this a world heavyweight title fights and it's one of ur guys against this so called new behemoth uk Olympic heavyweight champion......showtime or HBO would show it for sure ....but it would do really well over here as well....Anthony Joshua done 400k PPV last fight and this is gonna be for a world title so I can see it selling 500k over here or even more so the fight will make money if Martin wants 2 or 3 million it's worth it because if Joshua wins then sometime next year a big summer unification between Joshua and fury would happen and then we are talking big and Wembley stadium ..so pay Martin well win the the title and then think big for next year ..that's what I would do if I was hearn...

Comment

Originally posted by fredhopple View Post
                  Boxing is only about money as money buys everything even love. Martin has no future in boxing so why not clean up losing in the UK to Joshua for some nice cash. It's not like Martin has a resume that is getting Martin a job not with a broom or a mop in his hands. Martin is a nothing an unknown a street kid from the hood going nowhere in life.
                  Wow, that's pretty harsh and unwarranted criticism or do I dare say - hate. Charles Martin hasn't proved himself, but he jumped at the opportunity to fight for a title, looked decent in that flukey win against Glaskov and is now facing one of the most dangerous and hyped contenders in the sport today. Martin deserves some credit for this and to call him a "street kid going nowhere in life" is just hateful and cynical.

I don't think Martin will beat AJ, but it wouldn't be the biggest upset if he did.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve plunger View Post
                    Television rights would still be sold to the states.....this a world heavyweight title fights and it's one of ur guys against this so called new behemoth uk Olympic heavyweight champion......showtime or HBO would show it for sure ....but it would do really well over here as well....Anthony Joshua done 400k PPV last fight and this is gonna be for a world title so I can see it selling 500k over here or even more so the fight will make money if Martin wants 2 or 3 million it's worth it because if Joshua wins then sometime next year a big summer unification between Joshua and fury would happen and then we are talking big and Wembley stadium ..so pay Martin well win the the title and then think big for next year ..that's what I would do if I was hearn...
                    Outside of "the US debut of Anthony Joshua", Martin doesn't have headliner value from any TV partner at this point, with/without the IBF title. Not sure why that point isn't getting through.

I have no doubt that Joshua does big business in the UK for his April fight, regardless of who he fights. Joshua is soon to be the top challenger for the WBC(Wilder), soon to be for the WBO(Fury), and soon to be for the IBF(Martin), once everything is updated.

Paying Martin $2m, at this point, makes absolutely no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                      Outside of "the US debut of Anthony Joshua", Martin doesn't have headliner value from any TV partner at this point, with/without the IBF title. Not sure why that point isn't getting through.

I have no doubt that Joshua does big business in the UK for his April fight, regardless of who he fights. Joshua is soon to be the top challenger for the WBC(Wilder), soon to be for the WBO(Fury), and soon to be for the IBF(Martin), once everything is updated.

Paying Martin $2m, at this point, makes absolutely no sense.
                      Of course it does its world title you mong lol......when you have two world champions from the same country and there big news and they both have world titles to put on the line....don't u think that's a bigger fight to sell....or am I not getting through to you.....tyson fury WBA & WBO vs Anthony Joshua IBF CHAMPION ...2 million dollars makes a lot of sense when you have a world title for it.....are you that brain dead

Comment

Working...
                      X