Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cotto: was confused why Manny wanted restrictions for Olympic style testing for Floyd

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cotto: was confused why Manny wanted restrictions for Olympic style testing for Floyd

Miguel Cotto says Manny Pacquiao's reluctance for random blood tests 'raises questions'

Miguel Cotto, who was stopped in the 12th round by Manny Pacquiao in November, says the Filipino boxer's request to avoid Olympic-style random blood testing for a potential March 13 fight against Floyd Mayweather "raises questions."

Cotto, who's 34-2 in his career and a three-time world champion, issued a statement Tuesday regarding “I am in complete awe with Manny's reaction to this matter.”

“He has always been a great athlete and gentleman. Why in the world would he require restrictions or conditions for the tests? It is a golden opportunity for him to (dispel) all world-wide rumors surrounding his figure and use of enhancement drugs. His refusal to commit to the tests without conditions raises questions."

Oscar De La Hoya, president of Golden Boy Promotions and a Pacquiao knockout victim in December of 2008, writing "I have to wonder about him." Cotto, said boxing should adapt Olympic-style testing for all of its fights.

"Olympic type drug testing is the most efficient tool for the sport to secure fair play," Cotto said. "My recommendation to all boxing authorities in the world is to implement it across the board. I would agree to it without hesitation or reservations. It is the only way to ensure that the outcome of a bout is the strict result of conditioning and ability. To magnify your talent with drugs is repulsive."

Mayweather's camp has maintained the Grand Rapids native . Bob Arum, Pacquiao's promoter, has offered a fight to Paulie Malignaggi if Mayweather doesn't budge off his requests.
Working...
X