No announcement yet.

Question about getting into amateur boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about getting into amateur boxing

Hey guys, I am no physically ready i believe to join my amateur boxing club here in northern ireland however i have a couple of questions i need answered. I would love to have some amateur fights however I wear glasses when on the computer and watching tv, I can still do these things without my glasses but its not as clear, well lets say this i can drive without glasses and have done for the last 4 years with no problems. I am just wondering if you think my eyesight will be good enough to pass the medical? I wouldnt want to build myself up and then get knocked back so to speak. I have another question over this last year I have diagnosed with Bipolar disorder however i am on medication and everything is fine now but would this also stop me getting past the medical? another thing about my eye is that my left is fantastic it is my right one that is not the best as when i was about 4 years old i had a astigmatism in it and had surgery i have never had any problems since. again will this affect me?

Please get back to me asap thanks

How old are you?

Comment

I think your bipolar maybe a problem in regards to passing a medical despite you being able bodied. The medicine has side effects.

It maybe different in N. Ireland but I am almost certain that under AIBA you will not pass a medical with your condition.

Nothing stopping you from still training though, if you're young and talented then who knows, maybe in a few years or whatever you could go abroad and get licensed.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Im actually 24 i know its abit old but ive always wanted to have amateur fights but i was working abroad for a good number of years and i was unable to. The medication i am on is just what people call a stable dosage. Its basically to stop my moods going from one extreme to another. I guess i just have to give it a go and see what happens. why would being bipolar have any effect on you getting a lenience? where are you from? The only side effect from the medication i am on from what ive noticed is it can leave you a little tired in the mornings other than that i have no side effects oh and i maybe gained a few pounds lol

Comment

I had a little look at the aiba medical requirements it doesnt say anything about bipolar it does however say a bit about drug dependence. With that being said i myself am currently dropping my medication down little by little with the help of my doctor and at some point he thinks i will be able to manage without medication.

I dunno i guess i will have to wait and see what happens lol

Comment

Way to old!

Comment

My eyesights bad and i pass my medical all the time, though one boy has surgery on his eye when he was little and failed the test so you might get failed sorry to let you down buddy

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                Way to old!

His goal is to have a few amateur fights. How is he too old to compete exactly?

He very likely is too old to be a successful professional but to have a few amateur fights? No way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  Way to old!
                  Not like he's trying to go pro, why put obstacles in the way? I know guys that started older than that and had amateur fights.

Comment

White collar boxing if they do it out there is also an option for older people getting into boxing.

Comment

Working...
                    X