Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did 'Prime' Roy Jones Jr avoid the 6 biggest punchers of his divisions?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roy's chin is being seriously underrated, he wasn't ko'd until his 51st pro fight and after that it was never the same and he was in his mid-late 30s.

Comment

I'm seeing a lot of posts in here that have boxrec written all over em

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
        What the fcuk is with people and this ducking business?

Why didn't Chavez fight Aaron Pryor?

Why didn't Foreman fight Tyson?

Why didn't Vitali fight Lamon Brewster?

Why didn't Lewis fight Michael Moorer?

Why didn't Pryor fight Sweet P?

I can do this for days. Sometimes fights just don't happen. In Roy's case, he didn't duck not one soul. The only fight that could've happened that didn't was Roy-Dariusz, but that's only because Roy wasn't about to go all the way to Germany and get robbed like he did in Korea. And rightfully so, he shouldn't have too because he was the undisputed champ.

Oh yeah and Roy-Hopkins 2 in the early 2000's.

All these fighters people saying Roy should've fought (i.e. Collins, Lyles, Eubank, etc) is bullschit. If anyone followed the sport during the time, none of those fights were mentioned as potential fights wanted by mainstream fans. Back in the day, during the mid to late 90's, we didn't have these internet forums to check up on the statuses of potential fights. The only way you found out was either in a newspaper, ESPN highlights the next morning, or HBO post fight interviews. So all this schit about Roy ducked this fighter or ducked that fighter or should've fought this guy or that guy is bullschit.

Roy fought and beat everyone he was supposed to fight and beat. The man had like 13 belts all in different weight classes at the same damn time. He was the undisputed champ in several different weight classes yet he was ducking people.

This schit is crazy some of the stuff I read on this site
        All those fighter you mentioned at least fought multple tough fights
        foreman fought ali, frazier norton, evander, moorer,
        pernell fought fought chavez, mayweather, nelson, oscar, tito
        chavez fought camacho, pernell, rosado, taylor, oscar

Your right,, you could always name a fight that didnt happen,, lennox vs moorer never happened,, tito vs shane,,,,
        But for the most part all the guys you mentioned took on ALOT of big fights,,, especially when they were on top......

Roy is different he took one big fight vs toney,, won it and was king of the mountain, but then shied away from all the other threats and coasted for a decade,,,,,,

You say there was no demand for a G-man, benn, eubanks, michlewski, nunn, liles, collins fight,,,,,, All champs at the same time roy was,,,, but roy would rather chase fights with an ancient 154 champ in mccallum, and an old virgil hill who had already been beaten by Michlewski,,,,,,

So are you saying there was no demand for these big champion vs champion fights both foreign and domestic,,
        But there was demand for the vinny paz fight, lucas, brannon, sosa, frazier, del valle, hall, There was huge demand for those fights,,,, is that what you are saying,,,
        By the way you post, i think you think vinny paz and bryant brannon were huge mega fights, because that is why roy took them
        RIGHT????? Is that what your saying,,,

comparing roy's resume to pernel, oscar, or even floyd's is laughable,,,
        Roy took no chances for a decade,,,
        Hopkins wasnt a big name, and at the time was looked at as a b-level opponent,, it wasnt till years later that hopkins became viewed as a legit threat,,,,
        Toney in 94, then ruiz in 03,,, took roy a decade to take a big fight,,,, and he coasted by for a decade because their was idiots worshipping him because he had fast hands and could destroy b-level opponents like lucas, sosa, and brannon.......

Do you understand now

Comment

What the fcuk is with people and this ducking business?

Why didn't Chavez fight Aaron Pryor?

Why didn't Foreman fight Tyson?

Why didn't Vitali fight Lamon Brewster?

Why didn't Lewis fight Michael Moorer?

Why didn't Pryor fight Sweet P?

I can do this for days. Sometimes fights just don't happen. In Roy's case, he didn't duck not one soul. The only fight that could've happened that didn't was Roy-Dariusz, but that's only because Roy wasn't about to go all the way to Germany and get robbed like he did in Korea. And rightfully so, he shouldn't have too because he was the undisputed champ.

Oh yeah and Roy-Hopkins 2 in the early 2000's didn't happen because of negotiations, but that's about it.

All these people saying Roy should've fought (i.e. Collins, Lyles, Eubank, etc) is bullschit. If anyone followed the sport during the time, none of those fights were mentioned as potential fights wanted by mainstream fans. Back in the day, during the mid to late 90's, we didn't have these internet forums to check up on the statuses of potential fights. The only way you found out was either in a newspaper, ESPN highlights the next morning, or HBO post fight interviews. So all this schit about Roy ducked this fighter or ducked that fighter or should've fought this guy or that guy is bullschit.

Roy fought and beat everyone he was supposed to fight and beat. The man had like 13 belts all in different weight classes at the same damn time. He was the undisputed champ in several different weight classes yet he was ducking people.

This schit is crazy some of the stuff I read on this site
          Roy Jones was never the undisputed champion in any weight division

Comment

Benn sucked. Fun to watch, but would've been swiftly KO'd

Comment

Oh yeah and Euro fighters then are nothing what they are today.

If you mentioned fighting one of the european fighters (i.e Collins, Eubank, etc) instead of the top U.S fighters (i.e Johnson, McCallum, ect) you would've been crucified back then.

Up until Lennox Lewis, Euro fighters were considered a joke with the likes of Frank Bruno representing the entire country. Come on folks
              Yet lewis was the same era as jones was,,,, G-man fought a memorable fight vs benn,, So the fights could have happened,,

but lets forget about the euro's

nunn, liles and G-man were all american, champions,, big names,, liles and G-man both held wins over roy in the amateurs, and nunn was roy's mandatory at 168,,, but then roy vacated and moved up and fought the ancient 154 great mccallum... Yeah thats a way bigger fight than nunn-jones,,,,,

Its so funny to see people throw out every excuse in the book,,,
              euros werent nothing,,,
              none of the fights people demanded,,, like people demanded the vinny paz showdown and the brannon fight,,,,,,

SO FUNNY,

Comment

Roy wanted no part of DM's power jab.

The 88 olympic excuse is now null and void. Roy seems to have NO PROBLEM traveling around the globe these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                  All those fighter you mentioned at least fought multple tough fights
                  foreman fought ali, frazier norton, evander, moorer,
                  pernell fought fought chavez, mayweather, nelson, oscar, tito
                  chavez fought camacho, pernell, rosado, taylor, oscar

Your right,, you could always name a fight that didnt happen,, lennox vs moorer never happened,, tito vs shane,,,,
                  But for the most part all the guys you mentioned took on ALOT of big fights,,, especially when they were on top......

Roy is different he took one big fight vs toney,, won it and was king of the mountain, but then shied away from all the other threats and coasted for a decade,,,,,,

You say there was no demand for a G-man, benn, eubanks, michlewski, nunn, liles, collins fight,,,,,, All champs at the same time roy was,,,, but roy would rather chase fights with an ancient 154 champ in mccallum, and an old virgil hill who had already been beaten by Michlewski,,,,,,

So are you saying there was no demand for these big champion vs champion fights both foreign and domestic,,
                  But there was demand for the vinny paz fight, lucas, brannon, sosa, frazier, del valle, hall, There was huge demand for those fights,,,, is that what you are saying,,,

By the way you post, i think you think vinny paz and bryant brannon were huge mega fights, because that is why roy took them
                  RIGHT????? Is that what your saying,,,

comparing roy's resume to pernel, oscar, or even floyd's is laughable,,,
                  Roy took no chances for a decade,,,
                  Hopkins wasnt a big name, and at the time was looked at as a b-level opponent,, it wasnt till years later that hopkins became viewed as a legit threat,,,,
                  Toney in 94, then ruiz in 03,,, took roy a decade to take a big fight,,,, and he coasted by for a decade because their was idiots worshipping him because he had fast hands and could destroy b-level opponents like lucas, sosa, and brannon.......

Do you understand now
                  I know for a fact you're on boxrec right now as we speak.

Liles didn't really step on the scene until like the late 90's right before he was KO'd by BYRON MITCHELL . Nunn was KO'd by Toney and really never did much after that. Roy went on to beat the guy that beat Nunn (i.e. Toney).

The Euro guys you're sittting here talking about were actually beaten by the guys Roy actually fought, but Roy ducked them and can't get credit for fighting them. If you're bashing the guys Roy beat, then I can only imagine what you would say if Roy fought the guys that lost to the guys he beat instead. This convo would be even worse with you saying "why didn't Roy fight McCallum when he beat Steve Collins", etc.....

Any way, that's EXACTLY what I'm saying. There was no demand for the fights you mentioned. NONE whatsoever. At the time, show me any outcry in post fight interviews, articles, ect supporting what you're talking about right now. It's all bullschit; you're bored on boxingscene so you wanna start trying to re-write schit. Going to boxrec and doing a time comparison of who was champion during that particular time then matching up the fighters saying they should've fought won't cut it with me because I was there.

LMAO at Old McCallum, Virgil Hill, Sosa, Paz, Reggie Johnson, etc

Vinnie Paz was actually on a pretty good streak heading into the Roy fight. If I'm not mistaken he broke his neck in a car accident and was making a damn good comeback similar to how Foreman made a comeback. Paz was on a roll and Roy toyed and demolished him.

Roy and McClellan were pretty good friends. Kind of like how Broner-Floyd are right now. I can understand that fight not happening. Eubanks, Collins and the other guy with the receeding hairline were stuck in europe. Hell, off the top of my head, Collins lost to the same guy who you said was old in McCallum. Euro fighters were bums back then and no one took them seriously like they do today.

This is comical dude. LMAO @ Roy never took on any challengers.

Virgil Hill was a beast when Roy beat him. This is really hilarious

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                    Yet lewis was the same era as jones was,,,, G-man fought a memorable fight vs benn,, So the fights could have happened,,

but lets forget about the euro's

nunn, liles and G-man were all american, champions,, big names,, liles and G-man both held wins over roy in the amateurs, and nunn was roy's mandatory at 168,,, but then roy vacated and moved up and fought the ancient 154 great mccallum... Yeah thats a way bigger fight than nunn-jones,,,,,

Its so funny to see people throw out every excuse in the book,,,
                    euros werent nothing,,,
                    none of the fights people demanded,,, like people demanded the vinny paz showdown and the brannon fight,,,,,,

SO FUNNY,
                    Dude, Nunn was KO'd by James Toney and did absolutely SCHIT after that.... Nothing!!!!! He was never really the same.

What's with all this schit about Liles? He didn't step on the scene and have a name for himself until the late 90's... not to long after finally becoming somebody he was KO'd!!!

What are you even talking about right now?

The Vinnie Paz fight was a fun fight. It was "free" on tv; nothing more nothing less. Paz had an excellent story and Roy was still on the come up. Roy did what he had to do.

Again, there were no AMERICANS around that you're talking about right now that ROy "ducked"........... NONE............. You're making yourself look really sill right now and a boxrec champ.

Then you're over here talking about Lennox Lewis?????? Bruh were you even around when ROy accomplished history????

Your posts have boxrec written all over them.

Andre Ward said he'd fight Mayweather at 160... If Floyd beats Daniel Geale at 160, you'll be up here saying Floyd ducked Ward. The size difference between Roy and Lewis was HUGE. Roy started out as a JMW... Why the fcuk would he be fighting with big ass Lennox Lewis.

I can't take you seriously in this conversation and you've proven to have no knowledge pre-2003

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
                      Roy Jones was never the undisputed champion in any weight division

Comment

Working...
                      X