No announcement yet.

Best P4P relative athletic attributes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best P4P relative athletic attributes

So the term Pound for Pound originated as a way to give credit to non-heavyweight fighters as being relatively as good of fighters to their weight class- as the heavyweight champ being the biggest was accepted as being the best fighter in the world.
    We all know this so I hope it doesnt become a point of semantic contention.Since then, P4P has evolved to mean more 'relative to ones weight class'.

So running with this second definition, I was wondering who everyone here felt were the best P4P fighters based on specific attributes? Who was the fastest p4p fighter of all time (was Ali's speed relative to the heavyweight division faster than say SRL relative to Welter)?

To keep it on point, I will narrow it down to only a few P4P criteria: Speed, Strength, Stamina, Hardest Hitting.

Speed? Meldrick Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by DeeMoney View Post
      So the term Pound for Pound originated as a way to give credit to non-heavyweight fighters as being relatively as good of fighters to their weight class- as the heavyweight champ being the biggest was accepted as being the best fighter in the world.
      We all know this so I hope it doesnt become a point of semantic contention.Since then, P4P has evolved to mean more 'relative to ones weight class'.

So running with this second definition, I was wondering who everyone here felt were the best P4P fighters based on specific attributes? Who was the fastest p4p fighter of all time (was Ali's speed relative to the heavyweight division faster than say SRL relative to Welter)?

To keep it on point, I will narrow it down to only a few P4P criteria: Speed, Strength, Stamina, Hardest Hitting.
      - -Originally p4p meant if weights were equalized, who be the best?

That would subjectively encapsulate who dominated the best fighters and showed the most elite skills and natural athletic attributes, ie SRRobby.

Now as to who is the traditional best athlete, ie the decathlete, that would be Wlad. Best stamina, Vitali in the mix along with Sal Sanchez.

Best strength would be Valuev.

Hardest hitting usually goes to Big George or Shavers, but none I mentioned woulda been thought as P4P save Wlad.

Young macho camacho so fast he made SRLeonard blush.

Manny fought, beat, and KOed the most Ring p4pers is your p4p answer.
      Last edited by QueensburyRules; 05-24-2019, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

How many do you figure?

Comment

What are you doing, Red, toying with our Queensbree?

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
            How many do you figure?
            - -Wrote an article June 11, 2011 about the history of the p4p concept as I looked at the p4p histories of Floyd and Manny to settle that controversy.

Using Rings annual ratings Manny was 6-1-1, 5 KO and Floyd 4-0, 2 KO. Moreover, Manny made his divisional debut against against the #1 twice and would've been Thrice but for Barrera turning down the rematch that they fought at a later date. Floyd never fought #1 for a divisional debut.

Manny has since doubled his p4p totals whereas Floyd barely moved.

The cherry is Manny consecutively ranked in Ring p4p ratings for 12+ years, a record that can't be broken since nobody is even close to it in the history of those ratings.

Manny still in boxrec p4p.

Comment

- -Wrote an article June 11, 2011 about the history of the p4p concept as I looked at the p4p histories of Floyd and Manny to settle that controversy.

Using Rings annual ratings Manny was 6-1-1, 5 KO and Floyd 4-0, 2 KO. Moreover, Manny made his divisional debut against against the #1 twice and would've been Thrice but for Barrera turning down the rematch that they fought at a later date. Floyd never fought #1 for a divisional debut.

Manny has since doubled his p4p totals whereas Floyd barely moved.

The cherry is Manny consecutively ranked in Ring p4p ratings for 12+ years, a record that can't be broken since nobody is even close to it in the history of those ratings.

Manny still in boxrec p4p.
              And, by Sneezy, here I am quoting your next article. You write a lot of "articles," do you?

Comment

- -Originally p4p meant if weights were equalized, who be the best?

That would subjectively encapsulate who dominated the best fighters and showed the most elite skills and natural athletic attributes, ie SRRobby.

Now as to who is the traditional best athlete, ie the decathlete, that would be Wlad. Best stamina, Vitali in the mix along with Sal Sanchez.

Best strength would be Valuev.

Hardest hitting usually goes to Big George or Shavers, but none I mentioned woulda been thought as P4P save Wlad.

Young macho camacho so fast he made SRLeonard blush.

Yes, as far as raw strength, but I am referring to P4P (or relative to their weight class). So is Valuev's strength, relative to the median or mean heavyweight, greater than that of say Sam Langford circa 1910 compared to the median/mean Lt Heavyweight?

Was Camacho's speed relative to Welterweight faster than Ali relative to heavy or RJJ relative to SMW?

Comment

Originally posted by DeeMoney View Post
                  Yes, as far as raw strength, but I am referring to P4P (or relative to their weight class). So is Valuev's strength, relative to the median or mean heavyweight, greater than that of say Sam Langford circa 1910 compared to the median/mean Lt Heavyweight?

Was Camacho's speed relative to Welterweight faster than Ali relative to heavy or RJJ relative to SMW?
                  Queensbree will never grasp it. But I can tell you Ali was the fastest fighter class4class. No blowed up featherweight could match him, by Jove. Any natural featherweight would be lucky to match him, even if he wasn't blowed up.

If Valuev is the strongest P4P boxer ever, I guess this hands down makes him flat the strongest man ever.

I'll give you a hint, son. Around here we do not engage the Queen in serious discussion, but stand back and guffaw with awe.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                    Queensbree will never grasp it. But I can tell you Ali was the fastest fighter class4class. No blowed up featherweight could match him, by Jove. Any natural featherweight would be lucky to match him, even if he wasn't blowed up.

If Valuev is the strongest P4P boxer ever, I guess this hands down makes him flat the strongest man ever.

I'll give you a hint, son. Around here we do not engage the Queen in serious discussion, but stand back and guffaw with awe.

So who do you think was the strongest P4P, maybe a Duran?

Comment

Working...
                    X