Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 06-18-2019, 11:14 AM #1
Amateur

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
emilio168 is on a distinguished road
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,558.72
Default Any tips to fix tight trapezius and tension headache after sparring?

I have very tight upper traps from boxing and sparring any tips on how to stretch and release them?
Also how to warm the neck and traps up before sparring?

I often get a tension headache after sparring Iíve made sure itís from my tight neck and traps from a fysio and chiropractor but these guys donít really give me any tips other than a simple traps stretch

Tnx for any help guys! 🥊
emilio168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 06-19-2019, 12:23 AM #2

Quoted: 4041 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,251.62
Total Points: 56,846.06
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun I concur - jazluvr 

Any massage therapy? I usually go at least once a week.
OctoberRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:25 AM #3
Amateur

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
t.n has a reputation beyond reputet.n has a reputation beyond reputet.n has a reputation beyond reputet.n has a reputation beyond reputet.n has a reputation beyond reputet.n has a reputation beyond reputet.n has a reputation beyond reputet.n has a reputation beyond reputet.n has a reputation beyond reputet.n has a reputation beyond reputet.n has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,066.99
Total Points: 6,934.82

Do you have forward head posture and or do your shoulders roll forward?
If so you need work on your deep neck flexors, back and posterior shoulder muscles and strengthen them. Also strengthening your whole traps(upper,lower and middle) could help. Also stretching your anterior muscles, pecs, anterior deltoids, sternocleidomastoideus could help if your posture is causing your tension headaches.

Of course massage can help but it usually gives you temporary help.

Last edited by t.n; 06-19-2019 at 08:30 AM.
t.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:14 PM #4
Hittin' the heavy bag.

Quoted: 13045 Post(s)
Redd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,264.17
Total Points: 1,043,630.56
Merry Christmas and All The Best for 2015 - Freedom. Buy another heavy bag, dog. - punchr Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. No Message - stephenmc Cheers to a great poster - Sergey Kovalev 
Even though I often disagree with you, I still enjoy reading your posts.  Here's a beer. - j0zef sit on this, man. it will relax you. best wishes, punchr - punchr No Message - Scott. Weiland Great post, man. - anthonydavid11 Red's all about quality! - BoxingFan85 
No Message - Scott. Weiland Peace out, brother, I was just clowning around. - !! Anorak Happy Easter and sh*t. - DionysusX Cheers! - anthonydavid11 One Champion. One Face. One Name. - Deontay Wilder 
LOL - Tony Trick-Pony Because you're cool - jaded &quot;no more than 3 replies&quot; dumbass ) - Ogecca MaMa since you think negative of others. f*ck yourself with it - Ogecca MaMa Block this you queer. - denium 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Ogecca MaMa Gay and Lesbian Pride - Ogecca MaMa Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Ogecca MaMa Gay and Lesbian Pride - Ogecca MaMa 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio168 View Post
I have very tight upper traps from boxing and sparring any tips on how to stretch and release them?
Also how to warm the neck and traps up before sparring?

I often get a tension headache after sparring Iíve made sure itís from my tight neck and traps from a fysio and chiropractor but these guys donít really give me any tips other than a simple traps stretch

Tnx for any help guys! 🥊
Be careful with this. I often had a very tight neck and traps when working out. Docs couldn't help until I had an MRI and was later diagnosed with a cervical stenosis. The tightness was my body's way of protecting the spine from getting pinched. I'm actually getting PT for it now and they're having me do a lot of things to strengthen the supporting muscles, so my traps and neck don't have to over-work all the time.
-Rows (many types, get that scapular retraction going)
-Farmer's carries
-Apple pickers (these actually feel good on tight traps)
-Incline push-ups
-Planks
-Pull-ups
-Turkish get-ups
-Dead-lifts
-Weighted lunges
-Neck retractions
-Heavy bag work

Form is CRITICAL. Be sure to keep the chin tucked throughout.
Before I start a PT session, they have me rest my neck on a heating pad for 10 min and we might do some light arm lifts to get warmed up. Not much stretching though.
Redd Foxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:36 AM #5

OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Foxx View Post
Be careful with this. I often had a very tight neck and traps when working out. Docs couldn't help until I had an MRI and was later diagnosed with a cervical stenosis. The tightness was my body's way of protecting the spine from getting pinched. I'm actually getting PT for it now and they're having me do a lot of things to strengthen the supporting muscles, so my traps and neck don't have to over-work all the time.
-Rows (many types, get that scapular retraction going)
-Farmer's carries
-Apple pickers (these actually feel good on tight traps)
-Incline push-ups
-Planks
-Pull-ups
-Turkish get-ups
-Dead-lifts
-Weighted lunges
-Neck retractions
-Heavy bag work

Form is CRITICAL. Be sure to keep the chin tucked throughout.
Before I start a PT session, they have me rest my neck on a heating pad for 10 min and we might do some light arm lifts to get warmed up. Not much stretching though.
I had a pinched nerve, took years to shake off.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:48 AM #6
SRR by Triangle Theory

Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Rockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,257.88
Total Points: 21,345.97
Happy 10k darling! :kiss: - *Boss Lady* 10k posts - ??? Happy birthday Rockin' - dan_cov happy birthday - TBear You are one of the best posters here. - I'm so sorry 
Great post on crime statistics. It's truly a disturbing trend. - thuggery for keepin it real in the training lounge , your the man rockin. - HUGH JASS For beating the stuffing out of master chef - lparm how do u give someone a good rep? cant figure it out - bigpauly To a fighting Man - Weltz 
One of the great posters - jas Merry Cristmas Rockin' - TBear :) - Salim_Shady Thank you for bumping the Rockin' story thread, I would have otherwise never seen it and I really enjoyed reading it. - Tyler_Durden Icon says it all - jazluvr 
Happy hoidays - jazluvr Thanks for the green! - GhostofDempsey Cheers! - Shontae De'marc Thanks! - GhostofDempsey What a faggot, deleting your posts and snitching on users. Gtfo this forum btch - lfc19titles 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - mangler World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Talisayen AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ??? Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - TBear 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Childhood Cancer - bigpauly World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- 

So you have pain in the middle of your back right between your shoulder blades? …...Rockin'
Rockin' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:24 PM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin' View Post
So you have pain in the middle of your back right between your shoulder blades? Ö...Rockin'
That's what I was thinking.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:08 AM #8
Contender

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
tcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,239.20
Total Points: 14,695.04

I only have had headaches when my headgear was too tight around the forehead area. Wearing my headgear too tight for more than 10 minutes will give me a bit of a headache, so possibly loosen the tension in the area that goes around the forehead and tighten it lower in the back a bit more.

You can also work to strengthen your neck and traps. I can tell they are sore often after hard sparring or a fight, not as much from getting hit but I think moreso from the high forces and twisting motion from throwing hooks, etc.

Stretching and cool down could possibly help a bit as well, but it sort of depends on what the cause is.

If you are taking too many shots it could be from getting hit (as your neck would take a lot of trauma and getting hit too much also causes headaches and concussions).
tcbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:22 AM #9
Amateur

I do t get hit much. Itís just from all the tightness and flexing when punching and even just keeping my guard up. I need to find a way to stay relaxed in the shoulders and neck when boxing any tips?
Old 07-01-2019, 09:24 AM #10
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbender View Post
I only have had headaches when my headgear was too tight around the forehead area. Wearing my headgear too tight for more than 10 minutes will give me a bit of a headache, so possibly loosen the tension in the area that goes around the forehead and tighten it lower in the back a bit more.

You can also work to strengthen your neck and traps. I can tell they are sore often after hard sparring or a fight, not as much from getting hit but I think moreso from the high forces and twisting motion from throwing hooks, etc.

Stretching and cool down could possibly help a bit as well, but it sort of depends on what the cause is.

If you are taking too many shots it could be from getting hit (as your neck would take a lot of trauma and getting hit too much also causes headaches and concussions).
I do t get hit much. Itís just from all the tightness and flexing when punching and even just keeping my guard up. I need to find a way to stay relaxed in the shoulders and neck when boxing any tips?

Share This With Friends

Tags
headache, sparring, stiff neck, tension, trapezius, warm up

User Tag List