No announcement yet.

Boxing should respect Miguel Cotto

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by egodfather View Post
    He loses a close-ish decision to Trout - a guy who has all the advantages - reach, height, strength & speed. Watching Cotto v Trout looked like a welter v middleweight. I don't think it's as bad as it first seemed.

If he can, Cotto should get back to 147lbs. How he can even talk about a move to 160lbs is beyond me. Or if he stays at 154lbs he needs to pick the right fights. Trout had all the advantages and was just too slippery.

Have 1 or 2 more and hang 'em up. He's a all-of-famer & one of the great fighters of the modern era.

I watch boxing because of champions like Cotto, how any neutral fan can dislike him is incomprehensible. That guy oozes class and he deserves a big win to go out on. A credit to boxing.

And congrats to Mr Trout!

Winning only three rounds (maybe four) isn't close. Miguel Cotto has BEEN IN great fights, but I don't think he IS a great fighter.

He's another Top Rank Promotions Illusion. I'm not calling him a bum, he's pretty overrated though.

Comment

I wouldn't call him overrated. He lost to Pac and Fraud. No shame in that. Infact he gave them both some of their toughest fights to date. You can say the same about Hatton except Hatton didn't give Fraud or Pac any challenge. Although I still regard Cotto in way higher standards than I ever would for Hatton. If you had a scale of reaching the highest point that let's say Pac and Fraud were at being 10, Cotto is like 9.5. It's like he's right there but just can't make it. Now this Trout loss is not Cotto at his best at all. He was 140lber and 147lbs. Going into 154lbs is not Cotto terroritory IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
        He's lost against Mayweather, Pacquiao, Clottey, Margarito, Mosley and Trout. (pretty much every major fight he was ever in) He's not great or even worthy of the HOF but he's definitely a solid gatekeeper. He deserves more respect than he's given. With that said he's an emotional guy. He has literally cried on every 24/7 he's ever been on and he even cried in his last All Access. I'm not surprised he would be deluded enough to think he won or to even walk off like he did against Mayweather and Trout.

I like him, he's entertaining and deserves all the respect a former multi division champ is entitled to. Sucks he gets hated on here alot.

As far as the bold.....no (obviously he got beat down by plasterito). But what about the guy who hasnt won anything significant since having no plasterr? Then, lets bring up all the undefeated fighters hes beaten, all the current and former champions hes beaten, etc.

As far as the thread, yes he should be respected. In fact, all fighters should be respected to a degree on the simple fact of them having the balls to get in the ring at a high level, the dedication and devotion it takes, etc.
        Last edited by ~AK49~; 12-03-2012, 10:29 AM.

Comment

trout has just the style and mental set to beat cotto, let alone his physical advantages, which i dont complained that much about. trout fought a very conservative southpaw stance and cotto has nothing to do about it.

cotto just fought like two guys who are very obvious bigger than him in his entire career and that's inexcusable.. if you are really better than the other guy no size is too much of a stretch especially if u just belong to same weight class.

duran-hearns size difference then you can complain. give trout his due. cotto is not gigantic MW. but he's not small MW either. He's medium.

Comment

I don't know what sort of boxing fan wouldn't give Cotto his just due. For even taking the fight with Trout, he deserves respect.

Comment

It was a good fight, cotto lost by 2-3 points at the most. trouts advantages were the difference in the fight. Trout is just a bigger, heavier man who's also faster than cotto. If trout was cottos size cotto could beat him.

Comment

I got nothing but respect for Cotto. Trout was just a terribly wrong style for Cotto. Not to mention Trout had every advantage possible, no excuses though. Trout earned my respect with his performance, he didn't run or got the victory as a gift, he earned the win.

Comment

Cotto deserves all the respect in the world. The contention that he isn't a great or HOF fighter is ridiculous. He will be one of the few fighters to define this generation.

Comment

Never lost respect for Miguel great family man incredible boxer, a little upset he didn't acknowledge the fans at the Garden but it is what it is, if he decides to get in the ring again I'll still be rooting for him.

Comment

Originally posted by jose830 View Post
                      Never lost respect for Miguel great family man incredible boxer, a little upset he didn't acknowledge the fans at the Garden but it is what it is, if he decides to get in the ring again I'll still be rooting for him.
                      Same here.

I dont blame Miguel for being disappointed and pissed off after losing, he gave it his all against a fighter that was all wrong for his style. I'm not like the rest of these ****s, lost in their "moral" high.

I understand why he didn't want to speak, he didn't owe me no explanation.

Comment

Working...
                      X