Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to avoid panic attacks on the phone in sales job?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
    Sales isn't for everybody. The best advice I can give you is to research the product you're selling. The more you know about the product the more confident you'll be in selling it. Would you buy something from someone who didn't know about the product they were selling?

the best advice i can give you is to forget about the product and sell yourself.

relationship, then sale.

the best salespeople on the planet can sell you something they know nothing about.

TS, my only advice at this point is to think about whether you really want this job or not. you'll get an idea of what it's like from week to week when you're there. from there you'll get an idea of how to get better at what you do.

selling is not for everybody. it's largely thankless work unless you count the money. you'll have headaches coming from angles that you didn't even know existed.

in the tradition of a salesman, show up at the door with a nice jacket on and introduce yourself. just be confident and try and have fun. that's how these things start.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaolin Sword View Post
      Have you had a sales job where you had to make a lot of calls? Did the valium help?
      I don't want to say what I do for fear of somebody trying to find out more, and get me in trouble or something. A few on here know what I do, and it's something I can't risk.

I've worked jobs where my ability to speak, and convey a point to another person was highly important. And there is A LOT at stake.

If I had something that was particularly stressful, or important that day, I would take a few xanax (or valium - my doctor has prescribed both to me - I prefer xanax), and I would be able to relax so much and take care of my business.

I know this is more of a "White people thing," as Asian culture places more value of herbal medicines and other forms of stress-management (and some are HIGHLY effective - like acupuncture works like a charm!)

But in some cases, I feel that good ole western medicine is the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
        Sales isn't for everybody. The best advice I can give you is to research the product you're selling. The more you know about the product the more confident you'll be in selling it. Would you buy something from someone who didn't know about the product they were selling?
        this^^^^

also,

1) make sure it's something useful, that actually has a demand...

2) it's all about the leads...if you're not calling the right people, it doesn't really matter how good of a salesperson you are. conversely, you can be a ****ty salesperson, and if you are reaching clients that actually have use for what you're selling, the product can sell itself.

Comment

I really dislike using the phones at work and every job i've had really to be honest but it has to be done, especially because i'm working in a helpdesk role currently.

I'm not great at it but I get by and do what I have to do. If you don't want to be in sales, do whatever you can to get the hell out of there asap IF you get it. Sales is literally the last job i'd like to ever do. You get better through practice, knowing what your product is and knowledge of your companies policies and procedures so you don't stutter and then also just put yourself in their shoes on the call...think about why they should buy the product.

Sales sucks, end of.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            the best advice i can give you is to forget about the product and sell yourself.

relationship, then sale.

the best salespeople on the planet can sell you something they know nothing about.

TS, my only advice at this point is to think about whether you really want this job or not. you'll get an idea of what it's like from week to week when you're there. from there you'll get an idea of how to get better at what you do.

selling is not for everybody. it's largely thankless work unless you count the money. you'll have headaches coming from angles that you didn't even know existed.

in the tradition of a salesman, show up at the door with a nice jacket on and introduce yourself. just be confident and try and have fun. that's how these things start.
            Great answer. It is about the relationship as much as it is about the product and price.

Establishing a good rapport with the client is the best way to go.

Comment

thanks guys.

im going to start reading this book my mom and sister bought for me at christmas, hopefully it gives me some insight.

Comment

Lmao I got 2 people cold call this month. One was saying I qualify for 75% discount for their hotel, I hang up right away. The 2nd called me and said if I can give 20 mins of my time so he can explain to me about financial planning. This I said sorry, not interested then hang up.

I rather work at McDonald's than doing sales like that but then I guess this just need some getting used to.

Don't know I just a have a huge and don't really like begging people to buy my product.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaolin Sword View Post
                  So I have an interview next week, it is a sales job with decent pay and commission. I was happy to get an interview but since looking deeper into the responsibilities I am beginning to get nervous about the phone calls.

My past work has been IT helpdesk and various office jobs, I used the phone a lot in them but it was mainly to help people with the systems and other technical issues which was right up my alley.

This job has a lot of cold calling and it's making me nervous. I had one brief intern role in college that was sales related and as much as I psyched myself up to be a proficient salesman, when push came to shove I get really nervous and think everyone in the office is watching me, I start to stutter a bit.

Does anyone have any tips for being a resilient alpha on the phone?

I wish to be an alpha salesman who can handle rejection, keep going no matter how much abuse, hate, admonishment or sales I get, just keep plugging away with no fear like the Wolf of Wall St guy: Is there any medication or supplements that will make me a fearless salesman? I relish the challenge but am petrified of having a panic attack on the phone and failing hard.

Don't you bingbongs have some kind of root you can eat that'll make your balls drop?

Comment

Originally posted by B.UTLER View Post
                    Lmao I got 2 people cold call this month. One was saying I qualify for 75% discount for their hotel, I hang up right away. The 2nd called me and said if I can give 20 mins of my time so he can explain to me about financial planning. This I said sorry, not interested then hang up.

I rather work at McDonald's than doing sales like that but then I guess this just need some getting used to.

Don't know I just a have a huge and don't really like begging people to buy my product.
                    this was my point when i mentioned that the product has to be useful and in-demand, and the leads have to be geared towards the right demographic to begin with.

as far as relationship building (with cold calling), that usually comes post-sale, and is important as it relates to ancillary products, repeat business, and referrals.

when it comes to cold-calling for **** like vacation sales and/or financial planning, people can usually buy on their own or they already have a "go to" person for, you're absolutely right....wendy's is better, especially if the majority of your income depends on how many sales you make.

Comment

Understand Law of Averages and get ready to hear "No" a lot. Only concentrate on the positives and ignore the negatives and you will succeed.

You can get so used to hearing "No" that it becomes just background noise.

Comment

Working...
                      X