Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was RJJ too fast at MW to be beaten by anyone?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Monzon has the best chance, as he would really befuddle Jones in a way no fighter ever did. Toney in absolute top shape should not be discounted either. A Prime Nunn would have been an interesting fight.

Comment

You got he likes of Langford, Greb, SRR, Monzon, Fitzsimmons, Charley Burley, Jake Lamotta, and Ezzard Charles to contend with. Are people in this thread really thinking he could beat all these guys? I have my doubts.

In fact, I think Burley takes this match EASILY based upon his style in itself. He wasted to motion, and wasted motions are what RJJ capitalized on. Also, Harry Greb is apparently the toughest son of a ***** to ever fight. He fought Heavyweights who couldn't knock him out and they had more weight and some of them were pretty damn powerful punchers themselves.
      Last edited by Japanese Boxing; 12-20-2012, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Carlos Monzon would confuse Roy Jones in a unique way. With his size and length, ability to control distance and awkward rhythm, I'd like his chances. And he can always drop a sledgehammer right hand in and end the fight.

Comment

Has the OP seen RJJ at MW? His fight with Hopkins was not impressive at all, maybe an 8 round fight in 1949. It is also curious to me how overrated speed is among those that don't know boxing, as an activity. It is like power: It comes in handy but don't bet your life on it because a smart guy will exploit it.
          At 160 RJJ is miles from the top.

Comment

Yes, I grew up watching RJJ and others in the modern era. RJJ wasnt just fast, I know timing can check speed, but RJJ was beyond fast. Some of these older names would not land a glove on the guy. Take of the rose tinted glasses and acknowledge that at this extreme level of speed - it does kill.

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
              Has the OP seen RJJ at MW? His fight with Hopkins was not impressive at all, maybe an 8 round fight in 1949. It is also curious to me how overrated speed is among those that don't know boxing, as an activity. It is like power: It comes in handy but don't bet your life on it because a smart guy will exploit it.
              At 160 RJJ is miles from the top.
              Head to head? I don't know how you can say he's "miles" from the top h2h and that's what it sounds like you're talking about.

Comment

deffo. speed keeps most guys far away from him.

Comment

btw when's the last time ANYONE looked good against B-hop? He could be fighting Kate Upton and she'd look awful.

Comment

this thread shows how overrated RJJ really is. I respect his gifts and skills, but he left a lot to be desired in the game of boxing.

Comment

No one is unbeatable no matter how fast they are, Roy included.

Comment

Working...
                      X