Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why do khan and ortiz say prescott-maidana have to EARN a right to fight them?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As for Ortiz, nobody should take him seriously when he says that Maidana needs to "earn" a shot at him. Did he earn a shot at Berto's welterweight title? How, by getting outboxed and drawing with Peterson despite having him down multiple times and then fighting nobody whatsoever at welterweight before his title shot. You don't have to "earn" shit in boxing these days. You just have to be able to sell tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by No Ceilings View Post
      Interesting and good points. But I must ask this my friend, what credit would Ortiz receive for beating a guy who struggled to beat a shot Morales?

Ortiz also said hes done at 140 pounds.
      Well, first, I'll say that Morales is a lot less shot than we all thought he was. The wipeout loss to Pacquiao was kind of struck from memory in assessing this current version of Morales. Someone who got hurt by every punch and blitzed in three certainly wasn't going to stand up to the power of Maidana, but he did. Now that the pure toughness was back, it was easier for Morales's technical skills to take over and make Maidana look bad.

But, I definitely agree that the myth of Maidana's unstoppable wrecking force has been exposed. Someone who was supposedly as good as he was should have beaten Morales a lot more clearly, regardless of how close to shot Morales is... he's a career 122/126 fighter who is clearly at least partially past his prime. However, the point is, he has been winning, other than the close loss to Khan. I think it's a right of passage that Ortiz has to go through, but... BUT... only if Maidana is willing to come up to 147. I don't think there is any question at all that 140 was killing Victor while he was down there, considering how much weight he gained on the day of the Berto fight, and how much better he looked at 147.

The difference between the two cases is that Ortiz redeemed himself and put himself in a position of power when Maidana was still relevant, as he had been winning, other than a very excusable loss to Khan, because he looked so good. Prescott played his cards brilliantly by losing the day before Khan won his title and made himself relevant again to the point that he couldn't claim that he was taking easier fights to rebuild his confidence after the knockout loss. He then followed that up with another loss to Kevin Mitchell. Basically, now he is just begging for a payday, because I think he knows that his time at the top is pretty much done if he can't secure this fight. Plus, fighters are cocky, and I'm sure he believes that if he did it once, there is no reason that he can't do it again.
      Last edited by Fox McCloud; 04-25-2011, 08:32 AM.

Comment

aye puto,Ortiz has wanted the rematch.Maidana has dismissed him
        saying there was no need for a rematch and he was looking for bigger fights

Comment

Ortiz has just become a bit delusional and thinks too highly of himself, not good qualities for anyone. Ortiz wins a fight and now thinks hes next in line for pac and floyd, its gone to his head but the stuff he is coming out with, like without me maidana would be a nobody back in argentina and maidanas win was a fluke etc, does he not remember saying i dont deserve to get beat up like this?? I thought he was a pretty humble down to earth kid, i was totally wrong LOL, hes the opposite, shows how stuff can go to peoples head, but his quotes are cringe worthy, he should realise this

Comment

Originally posted by LarryX2011 View Post
            both moved up and beat other fighters and claim that the fighters who took them down nightmare road arnt on their level???neither are willing to prove i in the ring tho..
            what I don't understand is, why they are still pursuing fighters they've already beat convincingly. To me it say allot about how their career have gone since these victories.

Imo its up to the "losers" to avenge their lose, they should be the one's pursuing these lose. Breidis Prescott and Marcos Maidana's attempt to get a second fight smells of desperation for a pay-day. its pathetic

Comment

Here's another analogy...

What would you all have to say if David Haye pulled out, and Wladimir Klitschko (still with plenty of time mind you) picked Ross Purity as his replacement opponent to defend his world titles against? I mean, Purity beat him at one point, so doesn't that mean he deserves a rematch by this logic?

Basically, Khan's status in the sport has skyrocketed. He earned that by beating good fighters in Kotelnik, Malignaggi and Maidana in championship fights. On the other hand, Prescott's status has plummeted through losses to Vazquez and Mitchell (who sense got blown out by a puncher, making the loss even worse). It's unclear to me what Prescott has done lately that warrants a fight with Khan.

Oh yeah, and this is all dependent on Khan taking good fights. I would have much rather Khan fought Prescott than this McCloskey nonsense. That made no sense at all.

Comment

Originally posted by number1983 View Post
                what I don't understand is, why they are still pursuing fighters they've already beat convincingly. To me it say allot about how their career have gone since these victories.

Imo its up to the "losers" to avenge their lose, they should be the one's pursuing these lose. Breidis Prescott and Marcos Maidana's attempt to get a second fight smells of desperation for a pay-day. its pathetic
                maidana has always said a rematch is open if the money is right whenever he was asked, which makes sense. i haven't heard or read anything from maidana actively pursuing victor, that fight was two years ago. in fact, it's ortiz who keeps talking all the smack since his win on berto, never really saying he wants a rematch, just a whole lot of excuses.

Comment

Originally posted by Body Movin' View Post
                  maidana has always said a rematch is open if the money is right whenever he was asked, which makes sense. i haven't heard or read anything from maidana actively pursuing victor, that fight was two years ago. in fact, it's ortiz who keeps talking all the smack since his win on berto, never really saying he wants a rematch, just a whole lot of excuses.
                  no hes always said he wanted a rematch with maidana.Now that hes
                  back on top,Hes not looking at maidana no more.

Comment

Ortiz outright QUIT against Maidana......................Khan was caught..................Ortiz should be held more accountable than KHAN..........

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                      Khan has completely and indisputably been proven to be on another level than Prescott. Prescott has done nothing since that upset, while Khan will soon be fighting for the right to be called the best fighter at 140 in the world. Prescott absolutely has to earn the chance to fight Khan again.

Maidana on the other hand, if he wants to fight Ortiz he should get the chance. Neither particularly looks like they care about the fight at the moment though.
                      would have been more interesting than his last fight

Comment

Working...
                      X