No announcement yet.

Johnson vs Jeffries: "The great white hope, betrayer of his own race"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson vs Jeffries: "The great white hope, betrayer of his own race"

Commentary at the end: "the great white hope, betrayer of his own race" had me in stitches

The real betrayer of his own race was Jack Johnson. He drew the color line on black fighters once he was champion. Refused to give Langford, McVey, Wills and other black contenders a shot at being HW champ.

Comment

Jack Johnson at least fought and beat McVey, Jeannette, and Langford. His resume can't be questioned.

Once he was champion he probably didn't want to get lynched for participating in an all-black heavyweight title fight and keeping the belt away from whites.

Can't really blame him. As it was they were after his head already.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        Jack Johnson at least fought and beat McVey, Jeannette, and Langford. His resume can't be questioned.
        ^^^^^^ This right here.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post

Once he was champion he probably didn't want to get lynched for participating in an all-black heavyweight title fight and keeping the belt away from whites.

Can't really blame him. As it was they were after his head already.
          Gotta respectfully disagree my friend. Johnson had several promoters trying to make the Langford fight overseas and he passed on them all. And if he didn't get lynched for banging white women and marrying them during that time I doubt they would have gone after him for a boxing match.

Jack was strictly business and wasn't taking any chances on losing his bread and butter to another fighter of color when he could remain the man and keep making money fighting white contenders.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
            The real betrayer of his own race was Jack Johnson. He drew the color line on black fighters once he was champion.
            Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
            Jack was strictly business and wasn't taking any chances on losing his bread and butter to another fighter of color when he could remain the man and keep making money fighting white contenders.
            In the first half of the 20th Century, bread and butter weren’t taken for granted. If Jack could make a living, picking easier opponents than Langford (whom I think he would have been too strong for also in a rematch), why shouldn’t he?
            Some 100 years later, I guess we can have a hard time imagining how harsh life could be back then.
            And I’m pretty sure, we all at that time had chosed the easiest route to take care about ourselves.

Comment

There are dynamics during that time that are speculated upon or unknown today.

Fights vs black contenders provided lower purses than vs a white contender. Why would Johnson fight for peanuts if he did not have to? This is really the main reason. Any thought Johnson was afraid to fight anyone is a ridiculous conclusion. He was paid much more to fight lesser opponents. Easy business decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
                In the first half of the 20th Century, bread and butter weren’t taken for granted. If Jack could make a living, picking easier opponents than Langford (whom I think he would have been too strong for also in a rematch), why shouldn’t he?
                Some 100 years later, I guess we can have a hard time imagining how harsh life could be back then.
                And I’m pretty sure, we all at that time had chosed the easiest route to take care about ourselves.
                Come on Ben, that's like saying AN shouldn't fight Wilder if he remains at the top.

Good business doesn't always equate to the best decision. If you aren't fighting the best you're going to be called on it. That doesn't change now or then.

Comment

JACK JOHNSON TO FIGHT SAM McVEY
                  Champion Agrees to Go to Australia for $30,000 Purse, Win, Lose or Draw
                  [Special Dispatch to The Call] CHICAGO. Ill Dec. 29.—Jack Johnson and Sam McVey will fight for the heavy weight championship of the world in Australia some time before May. Tom Andrews. Milwaukee fight promoter, who is the special agent of Promoter Hugh Mclntosh, spent two hours with Johnson today. The outcome of the lengthy conference was that Jack will receive a guarantee of $30,000, win, lose or draw; $5,000 for expense money, and round trip tickets to Australia for four persons. If any American promoters want to sign Johnson in the meantime they will have to meet this figure. The champion believes that McVey, by virtue of his victory over Sam Langford, is his logical opponent, although he is willing to take on any white fighters for his "price." Johnson and McVey have met before. Johnson says he stopped Sam in six rounds, and the second time secured a cieancut decision over the 20 round route. Books of ring records give Johnson two 20 round decisions and one knockout in 20 rounds. The champion believes it will take little training on his part to defeat McVey jug asserted that he would start worK immediately. "McVey is made to order for me. Johnson "said tonight after he had taken Tom Andrews to the train "I have beaten him before, and I believe I can turn the trick in shorter time at the next meeting. I know too much for any of these fighters, and I always have enough reserve strength to more than stand off their best efforts. In meeting McVey I am adhering to the demands of the public. I can make more money in the theatrical business than I can by meeting this fellow, but as long as the public wants the champion to meet McVey, Johnson is agreeable. "Furthermore, I will meet Jim Flynn, Al Kaufman. Carl Morris Morris or Al Palzer before I leave for any distance if the promoters will give me $30,000 for my end."

Apparently the businessmen financing the fight pulled out.

Comment

Jack Johnson Accepts a fight with Joe Jeannette in NYC.

Promoters back out after the NY Athletic Commission states that it won't allow the bout. Johnson believed that NY being against him fighting was because they don't have a White fighter who can beat him. The commissioner of the NY Athletic Commission says it's against "public policy."

Comment

Working...
                    X