Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ring Mag: Power Outage (interesting article on the lack power punchers today)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
    I didn't know Steward introduced pad work. Pretty cool. But yeah, I never really saw the point of the patty cake thing Floyd does with Roger. It just seems too rehearsed for it to be useful. What does it do exactly?
    It works for Floyd because he actually understands why he does it. Other people though.

Anyways, I believe it's for rhythm, hand eye coordination, and timing in the pocket. Floyd fights a lot in the pocket, so it would make sense to keep his senses sharp by doing padwork that is so fast, and from all angles in the pocket.

It's probably why he can slip a punch by a mere hair, and hit someone at the same time.

Comment

I think it's due to the fact that fighters typically put more into their defense these days. It makes it harder to knock him out and discourages you from throwing hard because you know he'll be ready to counterpunch you. This lends to a conservative approach which in turn creates a point-fighting mentality.

Personally, I find myself looking up classic fights on youtube far more than modern ones. I feel like I can learn more from those guys than most of the newer champs.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
        It works for Floyd because he actually understands why he does it. Other people though.

Anyways, I believe it's for rhythm, hand eye coordination, and timing in the pocket. Floyd fights a lot in the pocket, so it would make sense to keep his senses sharp by doing padwork that is so fast, and from all angles in the pocket.

It's probably why he can slip a punch by a mere hair, and hit someone at the same time.
        Yea, I believe that Floyd's padwork really helps hone his reflexes and responses. When you see how he works when his back is against the ropes, his padwork makes complete sense.

Comment

These trainers shared good insight... They outlined the causes for why there's a lack of power punchers.

Without going into detail, the effects are fighters are leaving their weight on their back foot and they aren't pivoting; essential components to power punching.

Comment

Too much volume punching and obsession with compubox rather than crisp/effective punching. And yeah, the amateurs being taught to pitty pat their way to a win makes a big difference.

Comment

I don't think there are less punchers these days, they're just not among the big names. I mean look at young fighters like Golovkin, Roman Gonzalez, Dulorme, these guys can crack. It's just another article about trainers spewing that same old "it was better back in the day" BS.

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
              I didn't know Steward introduced pad work.
              He didn't. Picture of Marciano hitting the mitts in the early 50's :

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                I don't think there are less punchers these days, they're just not among the big names. I mean look at young fighters like Golovkin, Roman Gonzalez, Dulorme, these guys can crack. It's just another article about trainers spewing that same old "it was better back in the day" BS.

He probably meant he made it more mainstream or popular.

Comment

Eh, Golovkin and Dulorme have been fighting low level opposition so you can't really take away much from that yet. Chances are if the big punchers aren't among the big names, it's probably for a reason. A lot of them don't make it when they step up in class. See David Leimux for example.
                  Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 04-04-2012, 12:13 PM.

Comment

so true, and yes the amateur system is to blame, 100%. Obviously being rewarded pitty pat faggot punches your entire life isn't going to typically translate into big power punching. It also destroys inside fighting, which is why we don't see many guys that know how to do it well these days.

Seriously, name 3 TRUE knock out punchers in the game right now. Randall Bailey? uh..It's hard too do. There are heavy handed fighters like Rios, Kirkland, Canelo, etc., but no true one punch knock out punchers anymore. They are gone.

Comment

nope...these guys are heavy handed which is different than being a knockout artist. These guys will break you down as the fight goes on, it's an accumulation of punches. No different than James Kirkland or Rios. None of these guys can really KO a guy with a single shot at any point of the fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X