No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Canelo-Cotto PPV Pulls in 900K Viewers, $58M in Revenue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by j0zef View Post
    I had such high hopes that I converted one poster on NSB to actually use sources and try to find backup to their opinions before posting them. I'm so sad now

btw, do you at least see the irony in quoting Glaser's numbers in this thread? Yes? Maybe? Think about it, I believe in you.
    lol of course I see the irony. The point of this whole thread was just that.

Comment

Yeah.. that's not how it works in the real world. Fighters' purses and who their opponents are major, major factors.

Canelo didn't sell 900k PPVs. Cotto was the A-side in the fight, and it was 2 good fighters who sold 900k PPVs. Canelo by himself sells 300k.
      I agree.
      Purses make the fights. For example, Floyd/Berto wasn't profitable with 550k PPVs due to Floyd's $32m+ purse. Golovkin's 150k PPV was profitable due to low fighters' purses (4m total including undercards). Cotto/Canelo was also profitable, despite 20-25m purses (20m minimum+ppv split +2m for undercards).
      According to Showtime, Floyd's purse is structured on a per fight basis in order to make it profitable. So that's false. But I do agree purses make fights.

Cotto knows this. Canelo knows this. Golovkin knows this. Only ones who don't are idiots in this [HBO] thread who are quoting 97k for Golovkin.
      Why did you quote me again? Seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bardock View Post
        What's that gonna do for Canelo when he gets "good boy" pat by GGG.

Here is a hint: not a damn thing.

Originally posted by KO MX View Post
        hahaha who is going to force him? the corrupt WBC? i don't think so
        Nothing is more amusing than watching Canelo fans suddenly hope boxing stays corrupt so Ginger doesn't have to man up.

That's a long way from Canelo will be a different kind of champion.

Judging by the hate Canelo is getting on his Social media accounts, he may want to start acting like that different kind of fighter anytime now.

Comment

Yeah.. that's not how it works in the real world. Fighters' purses and who their opponents are major, major factors.

Canelo didn't sell 900k PPVs. Cotto was the A-side in the fight, and it was 2 good fighters who sold 900k PPVs. Canelo by himself sells 300k.

Purses make the fights. For example, Floyd/Berto wasn't profitable with 550k PPVs due to Floyd's $32m+ purse. Golovkin's 150k PPV was profitable due to low fighters' purses (4m total including undercards). Cotto/Canelo was also profitable, despite 20-25m purses (20m minimum+ppv split +2m for undercards).

Cotto knows this. Canelo knows this. Golovkin knows this. Only ones who don't are idiots in this [HBO] thread who are quoting 97k for Golovkin.
          hahaha Cotto was the A side in name only due to leverage in negotiations because of the belt he had. But make no mistake Canelo was the bigger draw. Don't believe compare the PPVs when both guys fought Floyd? Canelo damn near doubled with like 700k more PPV buys. Compare the TV ratings this year on HBO when both had stay busy fights. Canelo had like 600-700K more viewers then Cotto in ratings. Canelo was filling baseball arenas while Cotto was struggling to fill small basketball arenas. Every comparable before the fight points to Canelo being the bigger draw. Hell when HBO did 24/7 they started the first episode talking and showing Canelo NOT Cotto. From day one everyone knew Canelo was the bigger draw and he was the driving force in these PPV numbers not Cotto. If you think Canelo only brought 300K PPVs to the 900K you are a bigger idiot then I thought. Cotto got first name billing because of his belt. He got more money mainly because of looking back now a completely idiotic contract that Roc Nation gave him. Again Roc Nation LOST money and paid him out of their end with bonus's from the contract they gave him early this year to steal him away from Top Rank.

Spin it all you want GGG PPV under performed and Canelo just had a smash hit. Canelo is the new PPV King and cash cow in boxing.

Comment

• Cotto always sells good payper views cause he is always good to watch!
            Last edited by batmam; 12-03-2015, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Progrssive_Jedi View Post

Nothing is more amusing than watching Canelo fans suddenly hope boxing stays corrupt so Ginger doesn't have to man up.
              your boy lil g needs to man up and agree with the A-side boxer terms, 155 here we go

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                I agree.

According to Showtime, Floyd's purse is structured on a per fight basis in order to make it profitable. So that's false. But I do agree purses make fights.

Why did you quote me again? Seriously.
                Perhaps I misunderstood what you were trying to say, I apologize if I did.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
                  hahaha Cotto was the A side in name only due to leverage in negotiations because of the belt he had. But make no mistake Canelo was the bigger draw. Don't believe compare the PPVs when both guys fought Floyd? Canelo damn near doubled with like 700k more PPV buys. Compare the TV ratings this year on HBO when both had stay busy fights. Canelo had like 600-700K more viewers then Cotto in ratings. Canelo was filling baseball arenas while Cotto was struggling to fill small basketball arenas. Every comparable before the fight points to Canelo being the bigger draw. Hell when HBO did 24/7 they started the first episode talking and showing Canelo NOT Cotto. From day one everyone knew Canelo was the bigger draw and he was the driving force in these PPV numbers not Cotto. If you think Canelo only brought 300K PPVs to the 900K you are a bigger idiot then I thought. Cotto got first name billing because of his belt. He got more money mainly because of looking back now a completely idiotic contract that Roc Nation gave him. Again Roc Nation LOST money and paid him out of their end with bonus's from the contract they gave him early this year to steal him away from Top Rank.

Spin it all you want GGG PPV under performed and Canelo just had a smash hit. Canelo is the new PPV King and cash cow in boxing.
                  Is that somehow gonna stop Canelo from getting his ass kicked.

Originally posted by KO MX View Post
                  your boy lil g needs to man up and agree with the A-side boxer terms, 155 here we go
                  Canelo wanted 156 for Cotto, my guess he doesn't even really want 155 for GGG. It's widely known Canelo struggles getting down that far. The fight will be 157-160. And that A-side isn't gonna make a lick of difference when they are on the ring.

It was less than 4 months ago widely reported GGG was training to see if he could make 155 for a potential Cotto/Canelo Middleweight CW. All the talk from both sides has been positioning, and we all should know this.

But what good will that do when GGG in in that ring kicking the living **** out of ginger? Canelo will be the underdog. The a-side underdog. What's that tell you.

Comment

• imagine if rocnation knew how to promote and use their celebritiy this would have done double. This is all basically off Canelo name recognition.

Comment

• Serious question.

Would a 157lbs Catchweight be an acceptable weight for this fight to happen next year? I know catchweights are bull**** and Canelo-GGG should be at the full 160lbs. But would everyone be ok with 157lbs if it guaranteed the fight for either May or September???

Comment

Working...
                      X