No announcement yet.

Eddie Hearn asks Americans "Do you know who Deontay Wilder is?"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
    Holyfield is still popular in america, obviously everyone knows who tyson is. I just meant Wilder team hasn't done him any justice, Hearn has done more for Wilder in the last few days than his own team.

You got to spend money to make money and having someone like Wilder would be any promoters/managers dream. Pay to have his face up on billboards, get him on national talk shows etc.

That would increase his profile, i mean GGG team have him everywhere to america, just so he can be pictures with the elites and have a better profile, i believe by the time this fight is signed (Joshua/Wilder), most people would know who Wilder is in america (Not just Alabama).

I mean this guy is the HW champion of the world not a lightweight.
    That's the problem. Boxing promoters in the U.S aren't spending any money on building up their fighters. They figured the best way to do it is create a social media presence, get on a few sports shows, and rest will take care of itself. The other problem is Wilder IS popular in his home town and can make good money hanging around there. Look how may times Andre Ward left his hometown or Terence Crawford. Golovkin is slowly getting some traction but his popularity in the U.S. is barely there.

Someone like Canelo or Pacquiao (as a better example) have huge followings because their fans make up a significant population in the U.S. and are also die hard boxing fans.

I think Wilder will get there but he needs a good dance partner like Joshua, and I know I keep harping on it but for him it's better if that fight is in the U.S. No one here will care if it's in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
      That's the problem. Boxing promoters in the U.S aren't spending any money on building up their fighters. They figured the best way to do it is create a social media presence, get on a few sports shows, and rest will take care of itself. The other problem is Wilder IS popular in his home town and can make good money hanging around there. Look how may times Andre Ward left his hometown or Terence Crawford. Golovkin is slowly getting some traction but his popularity in the U.S. is barely there.

Someone like Canelo or Pacquiao (as a better example) have huge followings because their fans make up a significant population in the U.S. and are also die hard boxing fans.

I think Wilder will get there but he needs a good dance partner like Joshua, and I know I keep harping on it but for him it's better if that fight is in the U.S. No one here will care if it's in the UK.
      Of course it better for him for that fight to happen in america, that would help both their profiles, problem is the sort of money that Joshua makes now is insane.

And the american networks aren't backing their fighters or building them up (I like to mentioned) enough for those fighters to generate the right interest in casual fans.

Anyways i hope this fight happens soon enough but it doesnt look good if am honest for America. The likelihood is that fight ends up here due to the economics unless Wilder is willing to fight for his regular pay (1.5million dollars).

Comment

Originally posted by SnoopySmurf View Post
        That's the thing about living on an island like the UK compared to the 350 million Americans. Americans have far more distractions other than boxing.
        You're right.

In the UK there's only boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          Golovkin fans; "This isn't a popularity contest".
          Ward fans; "This isn't a popularity contest."
          AJ fans: "This IS a popularity contest!"
          Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
          Mayweather: "We need Olympic-style blood and urine testing."
          Pacquiao: "Let the commission handle the testing."
          Marquez almost kills Pacquiao
          Pacquiao: "We need Olympic-style blood and urine testing."
          Originally posted by GriffTannen View Post
          what does it say? lol you know newyork alone is like half the population of the uk?

americans dont give a fuk about boxing. you guys sell out arenas for ricky fukin burns
          ****in' OWNAGE.

Pigeons, GriffTannen...check your PMs...

Comment

Originally posted by PensionKiller View Post
            LOL Of course Joshua is less popular in the US. For a Floyd fan, you don't understand money.

AJ and Wilder makes much more money in the UK than the US. AJ is a star here while Wilder is not in the US. They won't sell in the US and PPV sales in the UK will be far less if it was in Vegas since it will be 5 AM here.

This fight won't be PPV in the US if Wilder did 600k and AJ did 300k on Showtime...

Stupid thing is, Dibella said who is Whyte and asked in this venue do you think people will know who Whyte is...
            It only makes more in the short term. It doesn't help AJ break into the US, something he desperately needs to do. A fight with Wilder in Vegas will do that. Not everyone will be so willing to fight in the UK. Then what is AJ going to do? Fight more domestic bums?

AJ and Wilder might be relatively unknown in the states at the moment but I've maintained that if built up properly this could be huge, maybe the biggest heavyweight fight since Lewis vs. Tyson. People are sheep. They will buy this fight if the promoters do their jobs

Comment

Originally posted by PensionKiller View Post
              It was 300k which was terrible, however AJ isn't from the US. In the UK he will sell more PPV (30 dollars) here than Wilder and that's a fact. Wilder made 1.5 Mil... he holds a title and has had 39 fights.

AJ makes more than that easily and has had 20 fights.

This fight for me doesn't sell in the US simply because Wilder is not known very well and AJ isn't either.

I mean the days of Tyson and Holyfield where posters of them would be in barbers are gone.
              The fight wouldn't sell in the US because nobody knows Joshua. It's ok to hold the fight in the UK but us Americans are used to getting big fights made.

We've never had to go through a lopsided mouth promoter talking too much. Arum got out of line when he called Floyd a coward and a boxer put Arum in his place. Told him to stfu and he did.

300k is proof that the fight will be in the UK. But we are ready to **** on Hearn the minute he lowballs Parker and Wilder.

Comment

Originally posted by SnoopySmurf View Post
                That's the thing about living on an island like the UK compared to the 350 million Americans. Americans have far more distractions other than boxing.
                How is he getting less than a million views in a nation of 350 million

Your promoters are bums. Hearn is the saviour of American boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Raggamuffin View Post
                  The fight wouldn't sell in the US because nobody knows Joshua. It's ok to hold the fight in the UK but us Americans are used to getting big fights made.

We've never had to go through a lopsided mouth promoter talking too much. Arum got out of line when he called Floyd a coward and a boxer put Arum in his place. Told him to stfu and he did.

300k is proof that the fight will be in the UK. But we are ready to **** on Hearn the minute he lowballs Parker and Wilder.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                    How is he getting less than a million views in a nation of 350 million

Your promoters are bums. Hearn is the saviour of American boxing.
                    The quote already answers your question. Americans have a lot more things to do and more places to go to in this big ass country than the little island Britain is on.

Comment

Originally posted by Raggamuffin View Post

Why is it just on joshua? Wilder doesn't sell in the US either. As far as I'm aware, the public doesn't pay to watch is fights.

600k on showtime is absolutely terrible for a heavyweight titlist. Wilder has not been promoted well at all. He's big, he's loud, he's got 38 ko in 39... And he's not a household name?

Shame on US sports fans.

If the fight is not going to be in the US, then build your name here with one fight with whyte and earn 2.5 mil more than your last fight... Which was 1.5 mil...

Comment

Working...
                      X