Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was the more exciting fighter, Andre Ward of Gennady Golovkin

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excitement is in the eye of the beholder.

Supporters of Andre Ward would find Andrew Ward more exciting because they are excited about his fights as they are emotionally invested, and the same goes for GGG.

However generally speaking for someone who doesn't care or know of either fighter and is looking for an action-packed fight (As short or long as it may be), then the answer will surely always be GGG.

Comment

Originally posted by Irony123 View Post
      Excitement is in the eye of the beholder.

Supporters of Andre Ward would find Andrew Ward more exciting because they are excited about his fights as they are emotionally invested, and the same goes for GGG.

However generally speaking for someone who doesn't care or know of either fighter and is looking for an action-packed fight (As short or long as it may be), then the answer will surely always be GGG.
      I think a 12 year old could appreciate a GGG fight, which is the mental age of most casual fans boxing wise. Could not say the same thing for Ward.

If you think emotional involvement is the reason I prefer Andre Ward, you are entitled to your opinion, by I was introduced to boxing through this style of fighting, so I'm partial to it. I'm in it for the science, not the blood and guts. I can fight on my own and I don't have to watch a representation of what I can't do on the screen to enjoy a fight.

Ask any true boxing expert or boxer who they prefer between Golovkin or Ward, and I guarantee you that the opinion would be much more divided than the general boxing public's. Maybe they can see something the masses of "boxing fans" can't see, or maybe they're all emotionally invested racists.

Comment

I find quality boxing more entertaining than underground boxing, so I prefer to watch Ward fights. Why watch Golovkin crush tomatocans while you could watch Ward take on epic opponents like Kovalev, Froch and Kessler?

Comment

If I want to watch an exciting fight, GGG. If I need help falling asleep, Ward.

Comment

Originally posted by KingHippo View Post
            I think a 12 year old could appreciate a GGG fight, which is the mental age of most casual fans boxing wise. Could not say the same thing for Ward.

If you think emotional involvement is the reason I prefer Andre Ward, you are entitled to your opinion, by I was introduced to boxing through this style of fighting, so I'm partial to it. I'm in it for the science, not the blood and guts. I can fight on my own and I don't have to watch a representation of what I can't do on the screen to enjoy a fight.

Ask any true boxing expert or boxer who they prefer between Golovkin or Ward, and I guarantee you that the opinion would be much more divided than the general boxing public's. Maybe they can see something the masses of "boxing fans" can't see, or maybe they're all emotionally invested racists.
            I think most people can appreciate what GGG does, he isn't a mindless rock em and sock em fighter. That can be argued by the results he achieved in amateur and professional boxing. I would argue that GGGs style is extremely hard to emulate, and requires significant dedication to the sport of boxing.

That being said if you ask who is the most exciting fighter of all time 9 out of 10 people would say Mikey Tyson, Holifield, Chavez SR, Tito, Duran, Sugar Ray etc. These are the fighters who bring in casuals to the sport, and some of these casual fans become hardcore fans. Casual fans isn't a bad thing, it makes a sport thrive and if i had to give choose a style that I think would benefit our sport the most I would choose Mike Tyson over Larry Holmes, I would choose pacquiao's style over Floyd's (at least over Money, Pretty boy was exciting), I would choose Golovkin over Ward. Some people will enjoy Ward more than GGG but to bring actual excitement to the majority of people, well I think GGGs style is better for that.

Comment

hmmm let me see the ko artist or the grappler

Comment

Ward is a skilled fighter but too inactive in the sport. Just don't see him fight that often. One can make an argument as to who is more skilled but Golovkin is definitely more active and exciting to watch in the ring.

Comment

Against top competition? Ward.

GGG looked superb vs the lemieuxs, rosados and proskas, but against good level fighters, he just seemed like a good boxer. Not an extraordinary or that much of as entertaining of exciting one.

Comment

Working...
                  X