Collapse
No announcement yet.

Andy Ruiz refuses to commit to rematch with Anthony Joshua

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruiz is a stand up dude. If it's in the contract, I think he honors it. He doesn't strike me as someone that will try to weasel out of it no matter what is being whispered in his ear.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray* View Post
      It all depends on him, in the UK they kinda like when an icon falls down. They like that feeling like “He is one of us after all” like the Frank brunos, Ricky Hatton etc

Had he won this fight then it would be the guy he was fighting was a bum, just look at the state of that guy etc

I don’t want to write him off but meh he isn’t really my cup of tea but I like the fact that he brought all the belts together in a shorter space of time.
      I don’t think his connection with fans is like Hatton. Hatton was always “one of us” and attracted the support of football and sports fans. Joshua was more of a celebrity that attracts bandwagon jumpers. I know people that don’t watch boxing but used to go to his fight for the event, which i don’t think was necessarily the case with Hatton. Hatton’s fans were the sports fans in the pub. You could say Fury’s fan base is more like Hatton’s in terms of demographic, but not size

That’s why i think the AJ fan base won’t be the type to stick around once the shine has gone.

He will still do good numbers but they won’t be able to take for granted the fact they can sell a stadium out against Pulev or someone.

Comment

• If the rematch happens, I don't want it to be in the UK.

Joshua looked nervous and bizarre as hell fighting on a foreign soil for the first time in his career, I want him to prove that he can overcome that and beat Ruiz without the special treatment he gets in his country. Like Lennox Lewis.

In fact, I want him to fight Wilder there too and up until yesterday I wanted it to be in Wembley.

This fight has raised a lot of questions about his credibility. Not just the fact that he lost, but the manner in which he lost this fight. Horrible performance. He looked like a total bum tbh.

Comment

• Andy Ruiz owes Anthony Joshua an opportunity to get his title belts back. He gave Ruiz an opportunity to challenge for his titles. So Ruiz is both morally, ethically and legally obligated to do the same. If he doesn't then that is just low class behavior.

Comment

• Originally posted by BangEM View Post
            He’ll be stripped like Fury if he doesn’t honour it. It’s a voluntary defence and you have to honour the rematch clause.
            No he won't and Fury wasn't stripped for breaking the rematch clause. He was stripped for inactivity and failing drug tests.

The sanctioning bodies to not have a role in private contracts between boxers and promoters. The fight is made and then they sanction it. That's why we have purse bids and ****.

If Andy breaks the contract he'll have to pay a fine. That's it. If Al sees money in it he may pay off the Aj contract and even the Wilder fights and make the Wilder vs Ruiz fight.

Then again, y'all, he could just retire.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray* View Post
              😂 Not really, not yet anyways. Once Ruiz wins the rematch then Haymon would be in full control.
              gaymon controls nothing! fury is still the man and he's promoted by bob arum and he'll school beyonce wilder once again when they fight!

Comment

• Originally posted by el*** View Post
                Hmm will be interesting to see how it plays out. Wonder what the specifics were, especially for a fight like this where nobody (even Haymond) expected Ruiz to win, the rematch clause is probably pretty generic and there would likely be a lot of items left to negotiate for it.

Ruiz will probably act like hes willing to battle them legally for it and fight someone else to try to get a higher purse. AJ could always flip the script and not rematch him. Its happened before...

Khan - never rematched his KO losses
                Wlad - no Sanders rematch (big bro doesnt count, Brewster rematch was years later).
                Loma - no Salido rematch
                Tyson - didnt get a Douglas rematch

IF AJ let the rematch go and someone else KO's Ruiz in his next fight, then everyone will just write it off as a fluke. AJ could fight someone else with a more suitable style. He could fight Ortiz. If Ruiz fought a B level guy and lost, then its over for him. Actually if he fought Fury or Wilder and lost then its still over for him, he will be viewed as high risk low reward.
                Many scenarios here , let’s just let time take it’s toll
                See what happens , just feels weird chit gonna happen

Comment

• Originally posted by Curtis Harper View Post
                  Andy isn't saying there is no rematch clause, just that he won't honor it.

I wonder what kind of financial hit Andy will take for avoiding the contractual rematch agreement......He might be stripped as well.
                  Would probably cost him the whole purse from the first fight because the “damages” would be considered high

Comment

• Originally posted by Bmore18 View Post
                    Fake news? havent seen any actual reputable reporter say this. Makes no sense Ruiz is going to get PAID in a rematch
                    This.

I've not seen anything where Ruiz is saying a rematch is a no go or that he's disputing his rematch clause for some reason.

If there is news of that feel free to post it, but that dumb ass IG remark means nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Red Skull View Post
                      Titles stripped, its a contract for a reason you must follow the agreed terms. He's basically already agreed to the fight, so he is failing to meet his end of the deal.
                      He wouldn't get his belts stripped for a contract that doesn't involve the ABC Groups. The ABC Groups didn't sign the contract to uphold stripping a person who didn't follow through.

Eddie would likely sue the f#ck outta him & likely be able to keep him outta the ring doe.

Comment

Working...
                      X