Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you ever regard not making a fight because you can't win as legitimate?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you ever regard not making a fight because you can't win as legitimate?

I've never really thought too much about this before. I think if you're in a division, you fight the best in there, and that's all there is to it.

But I clocked a headline this week about Derrick Chisora's team saying they didn't feel that the Usyk fight was right for them. And.... I kind of agree.

The Chisel used to be a decent workhorse, though his chin isn't what it was. But he never looks good against movers, and, while anything's possible in the HW division (we don't even know how good Usyk will be at the weight yet) I see that as being a fundamentally unwinnable style match up for the Chisel there. It's like Derrick is rock all night long, Usyk is paper. For 12 rounds.

So although normally I'd say "you should still give it a go", something about this says to me "yeah, fuck it, what's the point?" and I'm not sure why. I'm sure if The Chisel had a higher ranking/standing, it would be different, but he's at journeyman level now, isn't he?

ive not got much of a problem as long as they are honest about it. id rather someone like spence for example just say 'look i dont think i can beat crawford so i will fight porter instead and maybe another lightweight after' rather than making excuses and getting his team to make them aswell.

Comment

If you are not a champion then turning down a fight you think you can't win is a very good reason to do so and acceptable. If you are a champion you should fight the top contenders and other champions if you have a fair offer to fight them.

Comment

Yeah, fighting is about two men challenging each other to see who is best. But if one of the guys is 100 % sure he will lose then whats the point? Then its just better to be honest about it. But a champion should fight the best challenger regardless or relinquish the belt.

Comment

Exactly. As long as you are not a world champion it is acceptable to pick and choose your fights as you see fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Madison boxing View Post
            ive not got much of a problem as long as they are honest about it. id rather someone like spence for example just say 'look i dont think i can beat crawford so i will fight porter instead and maybe another lightweight after' rather than making excuses and getting his team to make them aswell.
            But then Spence would NOT be being honest because he DOES think he can beat Crawford and I agree. You are trying to read Spence's mind and you suck at it. When Spence has an actual fair offer on the table to fight Crawford and all the network and promoter issues have been worked out then and only then is Spence ducking Crawford. Right now Crawford is talking big but no offer from his promoter so maybe he doesn't want the fight when he can beat up Spence leftover Brook and get very well paid. Don't blame the fight not happening on Spence because that is BS. Spence has world champions to fight and beat in fights that can easily be made and that is what good champions do. Crawford signed up with Arum who is almost impossible to do business with at times and avoids fights he thinks his top stars might lose even if he pretends otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
              Exactly. As long as you are not a world champion it is acceptable to pick and choose your fights as you see fit.
              I think you're right about that. Unfortunately, it seems like some champions see becoming a champion as more of a reason to be able to pick and choose who they fight. "I'm the champion so I'm not gonna be pushed into anything. It has to be on my terms" etc

The fighters coming up, I don't like to see padding the records, or easy routes to belts, but for Chisora, yeah, fair play to him, he's paid his dues, he's not a contender, it's only fair he is allowed to be a bit savvy now

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                But then Spence would NOT be being honest because he DOES think he can beat Crawford and I agree. You are trying to read Spence's mind and you suck at it. When Spence has an actual fair offer on the table to fight Crawford and all the network and promoter issues have been worked out then and only then is Spence ducking Crawford. Right now Crawford is talking big but no offer from his promoter so maybe he doesn't want the fight when he can beat up Spence leftover Brook and get very well paid. Don't blame the fight not happening on Spence because that is BS. Spence has world champions to fight and beat in fights that can easily be made and that is what good champions do. Crawford signed up with Arum who is almost impossible to do business with at times and avoids fights he thinks his top stars might lose even if he pretends otherwise.
                Wow a thoughtful well articulated post. I couldn't believe it was you whom wrote it. Has your account been hacked?

Comment

Originally posted by Madison boxing View Post
                  So ggg should have just said "look I don't think I can beat Ward so I'll fight Kell Brook" rather than making excuses and getting his team to make them as well?

Comment

Interesting responses.

Comment

Working...
                    X