No announcement yet.

"El Feo" Luis Rodriguez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "El Feo" Luis Rodriguez

One of the most underrated fighters of all time. A slick boxer and a powerful puncher. He could pretty much do it all in the ring. His high point being the defeat of Emile Griffin for the welterweight title in 1963.

Luis Manuel Rodriguez was an exceptional fighter, who from the late 1950s to the early 1970s, mixed it with the best welterweights and middleweights of that era.
    Rodriguez was born in Cuba and another great example of the technically brilliant fighters that are produced so often by that country. Rodriguez was a brilliant boxer-puncher, with picture-perfect boxing skills, that were backed up by blazing hand speed, and a decent stopping punch. The pinnacle of Rodriguez’s career came on March 21, 1963, when he out-pointed Emile Griffith for the World welterweight championship. Just three months later, Rodriguez lost his world title back to Griffith, when he was out-pointed by Emile. One year later, Rodriguez and Griffith met again for the World welterweight title and once more Griffith won a wafer thin decision over Luis. Following his losses to Griffith, Rodriguez moved up to middleweight and after an impressive string of victories he challenged champion Nino Benvenuti for the World middleweight title on November 22, 1969. Luis was doing well in the fight and seemed to be on his way to a famous victory, as he was out-boxing Benvenuti, until the 11th round, when a Benvenuti left hook caught him suddenly, and had him knocked out before he hit the deck.

Rodriguez carried on fighting on until 1972, when he retired with a final record of (107-13, 49koes)

Keep them coming Hawkins.

Comment

Yes, a highly underrated talent along with Napoles and Cokes. These three could have ruled WW today.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
        Yes, a highly underrated talent along with Napoles and Cokes. These three could have ruled WW today.
        I would not call Jose fcuking Napoles underrated.

I think maybe under appreciated might be the right term
        maybe...
        Or....
        Not as well known today...

Comment

Originally posted by Juan Acero View Post
          I would not call Jose fcuking Napoles underrated.

I think maybe under appreciated might be the right term
          maybe...
          Or....
          Not as well known today...
          Six of one, half dozen of the other...

Either way, he isn't talked about nearly often enough when discussing ATGs.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
            Six of one, half dozen of the other...

Either way, he isn't talked about nearly often enough when discussing ATGs.
            This thread has made me start one of my own....
            Take a look, rather than me repeatin...

NOT the Hagler one.

Comment

Working...
            X