Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Making The Sport Safer: Standing 8 Counts and Early Stoppages

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mister Wolf View Post
    Bringing back same day weigh in would help a lot. It never should have changed.
    I also believe this to be the answer, same day weigh in, I think it would actually improve the sport, and fighters would be overall healthier ,, we have a few great examples of modern fighters who stay very close to their natural weight and they are having success.

Comment

Hydration clauses are essentially 'same day weigh ins', they ensure both fighters weigh within a certain limit on the day of the fight. Yet there seems to be a lot of blowback against them.

Comment

Originally posted by Satir View Post
        Obvious mismatches end up quickly, its in the competitive fights that they take more shots during the fight
        Yea this is the scary thing.

We got a TON of mismatches in boxing. I think all of us would like to see a more even game, but if the game was more even I think theyd be more deaths & severe injuries in boxing not less.

The quick beatdown is the way to get beatdown lol. The sustained beatdown for 15+ minutes is where life changing sh^t goes down.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeMoney View Post
          Hydration clauses are essentially 'same day weigh ins', they ensure both fighters weigh within a certain limit on the day of the fight. Yet there seems to be a lot of blowback against them.
          Agree more or less. Its in the same family of sh^t.

Thats why I think guys should be fighting at their walking around weight. There shouldnt be weight cutting AT ALL. With gravity tests this is doable & just checking weights like mfers should check for banned substances but its a lot less costly to have a mfer get weighed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Wolf View Post
            Bringing back same day weigh in would help a lot. It never should have changed.
            Yea cuz fighters didnt die in the old days too.

There is solid science that suggests that cutting weight dehydrates the brain which makes you more at risk for death or severe injury in the ring.

You want guys fighting at their walking around weight. You want it to be a natural weight thing.

All this weight cutting bs is mfing insane & just dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by b morph View Post
              Early stoppages seem to be the only thing I can think of that would make it completely death free.

The sport would be changed to a game of “who hurts who first.”
              That would work better than most things you could do although idk about it being death free even then. I think with a hit in the head game is sometimes sh^t is gonna go waaaaay south & guys could die or have life changing injuries.

The issue with this one would be is how much does it lower the entertainment value of the game. Cuz at some cross section at making the game safer there is the issue of not making it less entertaining or changing things too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajvar View Post
                Standing 8-count is a must... but it would NOT help saving this life here. Boxer was running so no standing KD and nothing mentioned in the article could save him.
                I think a S8C isnt a great idea, outside of the times a fight is ended during the S8C, cuz what you are doing most of the time is ending brain trauma & maybe seeing a concussion & then sending a guy out to continue with more brain trauma or getting another concussion.

As I understand it one of the ways in which severe injury & death go down with brain sh^t its because someone sustained one injury & recovered & received a second injury in a short session of time. From my understanding this can even be weeks between injuries, but it could also be during a fight. Guy gets hurt in round 2. S8C issued. Gets out of danger. In the 8th round he gets KTFO. That is a guy who could very well have serious brain issues or could have something from that fight that doesnt become a thing in his daily life til years down the line. Or it could just be one thing in a line of several to many brain issues hes had that lead to issues down the line.

Its a hard issue to find a great answer too I feel like & I think there is gonna be some % of risk no matter any fix you can find.

Comment

Seeing guys mention Mri, but those mfers are costly as f#ck. Like 1k to 5k Im seeing. You definitely cant do those between every fight or you kill the minor leagues of boxing. Which maybe a good thing idk. I think too many fights go down & there are too many boxers at 20k active according to boxrec.

Maybe once a year you could do a Mri for everyone & just make it a expense of getting & keeping a license.

Comment

Don't know why the standing 8 count ever was dismissed. There is nothing negative about it. Helps all three profesionals doing their job in the ring. If used to manipulate a fight then blame the ref who will find a means anyway. Only helps a match in my opinion. Best fights I ever watched had a sranding 8 count rule enforced. No brainer bring it back!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X