Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should boxers or fighters in general lift weights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheReadyTimeBoy View Post
    Are we still having this conversation in 2018?? FFS.

Yes, heavy weight, low rep, once or twice a week. Eg: 5x5 reps of squat, bench and deadlifts.
    We're still having this conversation because weights went from being bad for boxing...to being seen by some as a superior training method for boxing...to some of us pointing out that they aren't necessary at all for boxing.

There's levels of nuance and understanding that get fleshed out with this discussion over the years.

Comment

Yes, heavy weight, low rep, once or twice a week. Eg: 5x5 reps of squat, bench and deadlifts.
      5 is still he hypertrophy range , 3 or less

Going with the old school way of training is more likely to produce a better fighter simply because its so simple and effective to do.

dOING WEIGHT AND RESISTANCE TRAINING CAN BE SUPERIOR TO OLD SCHOOL TRAINING BUT ONLY IF ITS DONE PROPERLY AND THERE ARE ALOT OF REALLY LOUSILY TRAINED ATHLETES THAT ARE CARRYING AROUND TOO MUCH EXTRA BULK THAT DOES NOTHING FOR THEIR POWER AND ONLY HURTS THEIR ENDURANCE MAKING THEM LESS EFFECTIVE THAN HAD THEY JUST TRAINED THE OLD SCHOOL WAY

SEE CALZAGGE VS LACY

Comment

Im not a professional on this, and ultimately you should listen to educated people on this matter. However, from what I understand, and based on some personal experience, strength training using weights is very beneficial for fighters.

Almost always what you hear is people concluding that lifting weights = bodybuilding. And that's just not true. The other one I hear a lot is the argument of how it's not going to make you faster, hit harder, etc. And although those assertions can be debated, I think one of the most understated benefits is the one that should be the most obvious which is strength!

Strength is useful in a fight, on the clinch, in your ability to not be easily pushed back, your ability to push a fighter back, taking punishment, and if you're strong enough, your opponent is also more likely to tire if you're stronger than what he may be used to dealing with.

Strength training, when done right, i.e. not bodybuilding, will not adversely affect your speed, power, stamina or skills.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
          5 is still he hypertrophy range , 3 or less

Going with the old school way of training is more likely to produce a better fighter simply because its so simple and effective to do.

dOING WEIGHT AND RESISTANCE TRAINING CAN BE SUPERIOR TO OLD SCHOOL TRAINING BUT ONLY IF ITS DONE PROPERLY AND THERE ARE ALOT OF REALLY LOUSILY TRAINED ATHLETES THAT ARE CARRYING AROUND TOO MUCH EXTRA BULK THAT DOES NOTHING FOR THEIR POWER AND ONLY HURTS THEIR ENDURANCE MAKING THEM LESS EFFECTIVE THAN HAD THEY JUST TRAINED THE OLD SCHOOL WAY

SEE CALZAGGE VS LACY
          ^^^^^ Agree with this.

Comment

its as simple as this.
            if you have 2 evenly matched fighters, the stronger/quicker fighter will win.

The problems and stigma concerning weights is when its done in excess, you are not a body builder.
            It does wonders for power, strength and explosiveness when incorporated correctly.

I haven't done weights in years as I was focusing on speed and technique, I definitely miss the umph and power that it gave.

Stick to compound weights, and rep ranges of 1-5

Comment

I prefer HIIT calisthenics for strength and conditioning. You can add weights like a weighted vest, wrist & ankle weights to the work out as you get stronger. Typically if I add weight to my calisthenics the next day I will take the weight out and just do more reps!

Check out my thread on Modified Burpees! Ive been doing them for about 2.5 months now 45mins 6days a week. My muscles look as big as when I was lifting a lot and my stamina is still where it was when I was avidly running.

Comment

Originally posted by AchillesFury View Post
                I don't know what to believe. I read different articles on Google that have different opinion on it, some saying its good thing if done right some say its a bad as well. Can you please clarify the right answer, thanks in advance.
                All pro’s do weights.

Comment

Originally posted by abracada View Post
                  All pro’s do weights.
                  Not true. There have been many boxers, past and current, who didn't lift weights.

Carl Froch is just one example out of many.

Comment

High weight, low reps? I would say the opposite. Lower weights and higher reps, for muscular toning rather than high weights low reps, which is typically done for bulking

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                      Not true. There have been many boxers, past and current, who didn't lift weights.

Carl Froch is just one example out of many.
                      Just googled it and Froch did a shed load of resistance training and weights.

Comment

Working...
                      X