Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Spanish speakers have you gouys noticed also how bad this HBO interpreter is?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hbo might tell him not to do it word for word

Comment

Excellent point. He is not even an average translator. HBO doesnt even notices it. They just assume he is doing it right. I remember after the Mayweather vs Marquez fight, Marquez wanted to say something and the translator was not clpse by, so they asked a camera man to translate and he was doing a better job than him. Never saw him do a good translation.
      The guy from Argentina who tramslated after the Martinez vs Williams fight was a professional translator. What a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by controlmachete View Post
        yeah, olaya is decent, thank god that ray torres in not there anymore...
        "let me put some water on your balls"

Comment

Is Jerry Olaya the one who always says Nacho is asking JMM for 'more velocity'?

Comment

Originally posted by boxenter View Post
            The guy from Argentina who tramslated after the Martinez vs Williams fight was a professional translator. What a difference.
            I don't speak spanish but that guy seemed to translate every single word instead of trying to summarize.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
              I don't speak spanish but that guy seemed to translate every single word instead of trying to summarize.

yep that dude nailed it, great translating, somebody should e-mail HBO n tell them to replace that other guy for this one

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                in the correct context? yes, i know what the term "context" relates, but i you'll need to explain to me further what you mean.

let me guess this straight, you think you can do a better job than he does, or you simply think that he's not translating everything as directly as possible?

he's not trying to go word for word and give the most accurate translation. he's trying to show the fighters in a good light in the interviews, and sell the product. it's not like these guys are always super coherent. some of the stuff you hear you don't want translated directly because it's a poor answer.

it's perhaps not fair to the fighters, but it's almost certainly not a product of an inability to go word for word / idea for idea in a translation

i speak enough spanish to get a good deal of what i hear in interviews after the fights. up to 100?% for the guys with the simple dialogue and an accent i can deal with. i've spoken it for about 10 years, but again, it's childlike spanish at best. still, some of the stuff i hear from the fighters shouldn't be translated word for word.
                The fighter say something and the translation in english is not the same thing. IMO it is their inability to remember all the words the fighters are saying. I can look back for plenty of the post fights and translate exactly what the fighter said and what Olaya and Flores say and it is not the same. Same thing happens in this site when they translate what the spanish speaking fighters say to english.

Can I do a better job? Translating yes. I have no doubt. But my voice and my accent is not fit for that type of job. The fat guy from Top Rank, does a good job. He understand the idiom and jargon of different nationality. The guys that translate the fights in HBO Latino do a good job from english to spanish.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post

That was a great job. Sergio articulates very well the spanish and the translator was paying attention to Sergio and apparently have a good memory.

Comment

He is bad, both of them suck (the older guy with the gray hair)

They need to hire me, I would be the best in translating everything they say word for word.

Comment

Working...
                    X