No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Roy Jones Says Training Camp Was Hindered For Enzo

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is just getting sad now.

Look Roy, you wouldn't have even needed a ****ing training camp against Enzo bastard Maccarenelli several years ago. I just hope this guy isn't as deluded as it seems, he needs a reality check and I hope it ain't a real serious one.

Comment

Hindered by the fact you are 46 years old and are the shadow of the shell of the shell of the shell of your former self.

Please retire, you're a good commentator and that is a dream gig- more fights like these will make you worse at it over time.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
        I'm not one that says that a legendary fighter can ruin his legacy. We hear that phrase thrown around all the time and I don't buy it the vast majority of the time.

There are exceptions though. Watching Duran fight into his 40's was hard. Watching Larry Holmes fight way past his prime was also tough. Watching Roy do this at 46 years old is a crime.

This is a young man's game, always will be. Just because you have freaks of nature like Hopkins, doesn't mean we can all do it. The problem with Roy is, he's not a great boxer, never was. He was a physical phenom who was faster, stronger, quicker and had the reflexes of a cat in his prime.

So he could KO you with his hands behind his back, he could lead with an uppercut from distance, he could keep his lead hand down and chin out baiting you. Things you are never supposed to do, but he did. That's what made him fun to watch, that's what made him special.

When those physical attributes waned though, he was KO'd. He isn't classically trained as a boxer, he doesn't have the fundamentals that Hopkins has, or Oscar had that carried them past their prime and sheer skill beat opponents.

I don't know if he needs money, I don't know what his issue is but he has to know that his time is over. He is going to suffer brain damage if he continues, and there's no need for it. Ego, money, pride.....I don't know what it is, but the people closest to him need to tell him to stop.
        This post is spot on in every regard except for the part about Oscar. Oscar declined around the same age that Roy did, 34/35 and some may even say that Oscar was slowing down even before that. Everything else you say is spot on.

Here's a guy with an alternative take on why Roy keeps fighting. Some people think Roy actually likes the sensation of being KO'd. I've heard several people on youtube and on boxingscene allude to this.

Comment

Maybe Roy is trying to set a record for how many times a former #1 P4P gets KTFO.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnwoo8686 View Post
            This post is spot on in every regard except for the part about Oscar. Oscar declined around the same age that Roy did, 34/35 and some may even say that Oscar was slowing down even before that. Everything else you say is spot on.

Here's a guy with an alternative take on why Roy keeps fighting. Some people think Roy actually likes the sensation of being KO'd. I've heard several people on youtube and on boxingscene allude to this.

Yes but my point is that even a past his prime Oscar was still fundamentally sound. Once Roy lost that speed, he was ko'd. Everyone was shocked when Glen Johnson did it then Antonio Tarver.

Thanks for the video< I don't buy it for one second though. Nobody likes to get KO'd. I think he believes he can still win, that he's still better than most. I think Hopkins attributed to that with seeing him have so much success past 40.

Comment

Yes but my point is that even a past his prime Oscar was still fundamentally sound. Once Roy lost that speed, he was ko'd. Everyone was shocked when Glen Johnson did it then Antonio Tarver. Thanks for the video< I don't buy it for one second though. Nobody likes to get KO'd. I think he believes he can still win, that he's still better than most. I think Hopkins attributed to that with seeing him have so much success past 40.
              Tarver Ko'd Jones first.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Punch View Post
                It's so painful to watch a hero like Roy, destroy his legacy.
                That's not true. What a fighter does when he's shot pretty much means nothing to his legacy. Any expert knows that.

Comment

I'm not one that says that a legendary fighter can ruin his legacy. We hear that phrase thrown around all the time and I don't buy it the vast majority of the time.

There are exceptions though. Watching Duran fight into his 40's was hard. Watching Larry Holmes fight way past his prime was also tough. Watching Roy do this at 46 years old is a crime.

This is a young man's game, always will be. Just because you have freaks of nature like Hopkins, doesn't mean we can all do it. The problem with Roy is, he's not a great boxer, never was. He was a physical phenom who was faster, stronger, quicker and had the reflexes of a cat in his prime.

So he could KO you with his hands behind his back, he could lead with an uppercut from distance, he could keep his lead hand down and chin out baiting you. Things you are never supposed to do, but he did. That's what made him fun to watch, that's what made him special.

When those physical attributes waned though, he was KO'd. He isn't classically trained as a boxer, he doesn't have the fundamentals that Hopkins has, or Oscar had that carried them past their prime and sheer skill beat opponents.

I don't know if he needs money, I don't know what his issue is but he has to know that his time is over. He is going to suffer brain damage if he continues, and there's no need for it. Ego, money, pride.....I don't know what it is, but the people closest to him need to tell him to stop.
                  Stellar post!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
                    That's not true. What a fighter does when he's shot pretty much means nothing to his legacy. Any expert knows that.
                    It'll definitely effect Roy's legacy in hindsight compared to if he retired after Tarver. Just like how Salvador gets an advantage, which sounds really horrible, for dying when he did. We do romanticise fighters who have retired with an aura.

Comment

The once great fighter always still thinks he has one more great fight left in him. IMHO, Roy's was against Jeff Lacy. It was the last time I truly felt like he was even slightly sharp. He was shot after going back to LHW. It was apparent in the first Tarver fight. Losing to Macca that way was the final straw. He simply cannot fight anymore and I finally will not support it.

Comment

Working...
                      X