Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone explain WHY Gerry Cooney never used his right hand??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone explain WHY Gerry Cooney never used his right hand??

Hi all... This is a bug bearer of mine...
    The 'Great' White Hope lol...
    This guy could put anyone to sleep, & had a valiant crack at the title..
    I've always wondered how far he'd have gone, if he hadn't been solely reliant on the the left jab/leading left hook...
    I watched most of his fights, and I hardly saw him throw any sort of right in 10 years... Why was this..?? Did he have some sort of disability that I'm not aware of...???
    While on the subject... Thanks Gerry.... What you do for retired fighters is very admirable... Well done.... From all those that care....

If I'm not mistaken he did use the right to great effect, at least once. Against Norton, a sharp right to the chin plays a key role in that devastating knockout flurry against the ropes.

Anyway, I don't know if he should have used it more or not, maybe he should have. His left hook was certainly his most important weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by Kinetic Linking View Post
      If I'm not mistaken he did use the right to great effect, at least once. Against Norton, a sharp right to the chin plays a key role in that devastating knockout flurry against the ropes.

Anyway, I don't know if he should have used it more or not, maybe he should have. His left hook was certainly his most important weapon.
      Thanks for your answer... It appears no one else knows...
      Don't mean to be funny, but I half expected someone woulda seen the fight with Norton (who was washed at the time.. His last fight, I believe) Which is the one & only RHKO I ever witnessed from him...
      However.... If you get the chance, watch the Holmes, Spinks, Foreman fights...
      These were 'big ones' and he Hardly used it...
      Very liberally against Holmes, but not at all against S&F... I got the impression, that he wanted to lose....

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
        Hi all... This is a bug bearer of mine...
        The 'Great' White Hope lol...
        This guy could put anyone to sleep, & had a valiant crack at the title..
        I've always wondered how far he'd have gone, if he hadn't been solely reliant on the the left jab/leading left hook...
        I watched most of his fights, and I hardly saw him throw any sort of right in 10 years... Why was this..?? Did he have some sort of disability that I'm not aware of...???
        While on the subject... Thanks Gerry.... What you do for retired fighters is very admirable... Well done.... From all those that care....
        No.... I didn't think so.....

Comment

Gerry Coony couldn't wipe his ass with his right: He was the apitomy of the "one-armed bandit".

Poet

Comment

Sounds like he might have been a left handed orthodox fighter like Miguel Angel Cotto or Oscar Dela Hoya. Despite throwing combos, Oscar too has been accused of being a one armed bandit because his right hands were never as meaty as his left hook. In Cotto's case, even his jab floored Clottey. If Cooney was left handed this would explain why, as throwing less effective right hands sounds less appealing than using your best weapons

Comment

Cooney is a converted southpaw. His right hand is his weaker hand so he doesn't have much steam behind it. Still you'd expect I guy like him to at least try and make it work a little bit...

Link:http://coxscorner.tripod.com/southpaws.html

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                Gerry Coony couldn't wipe his ass with his right: He was the apitomy of the "one-armed bandit".

Poet
                I LOL'd.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post

Poet
                  Cracker....!!!!!! Lollollollol

Comment

Originally posted by Leakbeak View Post
                    Sounds like he might have been a left handed orthodox fighter like Miguel Angel Cotto or Oscar Dela Hoya. Despite throwing combos, Oscar too has been accused of being a one armed bandit because his right hands were never as meaty as his left hook. In Cotto's case, even his jab floored Clottey. If Cooney was left handed this would explain why, as throwing less effective right hands sounds less appealing than using your best weapons
                    Makes sense...

But, I'm not sure if he is left handed..

A good trainer would have sorted this out... Or was it that Gerry was simply too lazy to adapt? If so, this was a traversty...

Comment

Working...
                    X