Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: DiBella: Pay-Per-View is Dying; Wilder-Joshua Not a PPV Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoxingPugilist View Post
    His core argument isn't wrong. At the base, he's saying it would be bigger and better for the sport to put this on Prime Time network broadcast, have a HUGE audience tune in, rather than a small but devoted audience buy it on PPV, and essentially whoever won, became a unified Undisputed Heavyweight World Champion in front of a live TV audience, they would possible have the star power to start moving the needle of interest for future PPV events. But you have to create these stars before you can sell them, and as of right now, both men are stars in the eyes of hardcore boxing fans, but not casuals.

I think that was the subtext of his statements from what I read in the article, and frankly, while I don't much like DiBella, on this occasion, I think he's spot on.
    How amazing what it be to have this on CBS? Build it up like the Super bowl or world series..

Comment

I honestly seen more support for aj in the states then I have wilder.

Comment

PPV IS dying. They need to come up with something like ppv on line that would lower the cost, but attract more people.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Rodge View Post
          Not in the home of Boxing - the United Kingdom.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K View Post
            I honestly seen more support for aj in the states then I have wilder.
            You're American?

I just knew you were a foreigner....with all the hating you do.

Must be an immigrant.

NOBODY knows who Joshua is troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
              You're American?

I just knew you were a foreigner....with all the hating you do.

Must be an immigrant.
              I'm a black American and what hating thats you in a nutshell I just don't like andre ward.

Comment

I'm a black American and what hating thats you in a nutshell I just don't like andre ward.
                Dear lord

A one-man Minstrel show.

You're the lawn Jockey on Rush Limbaugh's lawn.

Go tune your banjo,and sing a 'Ole man river' while Kovalev urinates on you.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                  That is a fight you want to maximize on PPV though, I would not even put it close to that yet in the US.
                  I'd argue the biggest problem with PPV boxing is the promoters, networks & even the fighters trying to get every single dime they can by "marinating" the fight for months & years sometimes. You put fights on PPV cuz their entertainment & people wanna see competitive, compelling fights...not just to make money. This is what the UFC & Eddie Hearn get right. They make PPV events that make you wanna watch the next one, most of the boxing world makes it a money grab where you only tune in for that one fight which leaves little margin for error if that fight isn't as good as hoped. The UFC & Hearn have built brands. And I'd argue that Mayweather made himself a brand to, but its a different slant on branding where you wanna pay to watch the brand fail or hope to see a brand beaten.

Hearn could've easily milked Joshua vs top 10 nobodies on PPV for another year or two, but he's going straight to Klitschko who's easily the biggest threat to Joshua that could & probably would fight him right now with Fury on the sidelines.

What is more valuable to hold it in the UK and have it sell 100k at 5pm on a Saturday or have it available to a large number which sets the winner up as a bigger star?
                  Thats a solid dilemma I'd agree. For that reason I do think you need to do a little marinating as much as I'd hate to admit it. Ideally I think you'd wanna do the fight in the UK as Joshua is a proven entity there & broadcast for free on Showtime in the US. So I'd wanna introduce Wilder to the UK fans with a doubleheader (which I'm usually against) in lets say June or July with a tentative date booked for October or November with Joshua vs Wilder, assuming both win in the summer obviously. If you do the fight in the US I think you gotta make Joshua & Wilder sellable as both are unproven here. At least in the UK Joshua is already in with fans on a large scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
                    Dear lord

A one-man Minstrel show.

You're the lawn Jockey on Rush Limbaugh's lawn.

Go tune your banjo,and sing a 'Ole man river' while Kovalev urinates on you.
                    Triggered by andre coWARD huh

Comment

Triggered by andre coWARD huh
                      Says a booted-over vaudeville act.

'Ole man riiiiivaah....'dat ole man riiiiiva keeps rollin' alooong...
                      Tote 'dat barge....lif' 'dat bail..'

Comment

Working...
                      X