No announcement yet.

Are all modern fighters bigger?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
    Emanuel Steward: “David Haye was acting like a punk. He was falling down every time he got close to Wladimir, dropping to his knees and looking to the referee!”

"Steward is right, of course. Haye spent a good deal of the time flopping to the canvas when Wladimir would get near him to clinch or throw. At first it seemed like a wise move on Haye’s part to avoid having to hold up Wladimir’s weight during a clinch. However, Haye took it too far and started looking to the referee after he would flop, as if he was hoping the referee would continue to take points away from Wladimir after initially taking one point off in the 7th. It was sad, because that’s no way to try and win a fight. It was going to take more than getting two or three flop points for Haye to win this fight because he was so primitive with his fighting style and fighting so timidly.

Steward noted that Haye would fall off balance after he would throw one punches. Steward said the key was to make Haye miss his first shot, and then he would do the rest himself by falling “all over the place.” Steward said that it wasn’t Haye’s nature to be like Mike Tyson and go out and attack Wladimir. Steward said that Haye is intimidated by big guys and looks not to get hit rather than coming in looking to land.'

And again I don't really think Haye could do anymore than run /retreat and swarm,then repeat...no one will have any success standing in front of him....I believe the fury fight will show why. the last time Wlad went out of his way to k.o someone was against the 6'8 260 Wach,in which he dedicated the fight to E.Steward when he passed.....those shots that wlad landed would have dropped an elephant!

sorry bill...I know you have bets on here!
    Lol Welty told me he would be gentle

Comment

I fighters are def bigger for there weight classes now. I think heavy diuretic use is a major part of that also.

Who remembers the welter division when Floyd retired the 1st time? That division was HUGE!

Margarito, Clottey, P. Will, Cintron..

Comment

So the answer then is, many are bigger, but some aren't.

Comment

well its pretty ****ing obvious they are...

you cant cut nearly as much weight with day of the fight weigh ins, as you can with 24 hrs to rehydrate back...

the only exception is all these modern welters dont have the physical dimensions of Hearns, Leonard and SRR. but guys like Cotto fighting at WW for example, would be getting in the ring at 160ish whereas those guys would have been mid 150s at the max most likely....

so he would actually have weight on them...but he just physically doesnt have the same size and would get dwarfed in the ring...

Comment

but imagine the size different between a MW like Pavlik, at 6''2 nd 175+ on fight night vs a Hagler at 5''9 and 165 on fight night...

I would still tip Hagler to box Pavliks ears off..but it would still be an obstacle...

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post
              Bit of a no-brainer thread but...

Boxers across eras of any given weight are of course far more ripped on average today- consisting of much higher muscle to other ratio. This of course implies that if modern athletes of the exact same weight to past era ones were then allowed to "reinflate" to the same body composition as past era boxers- then they woould be much heftier of course.

This size difference is even more greatly increased by todays practice of weighing in as opposed to previous times and the afforded strategy now of starving and dehydrating prior to weigh in and then rapidly increasing again before the fight.

With both measures taken into account it's fair to say that a boxers today are atleast a weight range or 2 heavier than the equivalent in previous eras.

Heavyweight of course can be directly measured throough average weight- noting the dramatic incrrease in boxer size since 1980's.
              where in hell did you get the idea fighters today are more "ripped" than fighters of say 60 years ago and more muscled, I am calling BS on this, you have no idea what you are talking about apart from the difference in weight due to todays stupid weigh in rules. More ripped my ass

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
                where in hell did you get the idea fighters today are more "ripped" than fighters of say 60 years ago and more muscled, I am calling BS on this, you have no idea what you are talking about apart from the difference in weight due to todays stupid weigh in rules. More ripped my ass
                Prior to the 1980's there were never ANY boxers even close to being as ripped as the most ripped boxers thereafter and especially from the 00's onwards. And here I'm talking about HEAVYWEIGHT!

At limit weights, the difference is so striking that you should ban yourself from this forum.

These are straight forward immutable facts that you can gain from glancing at any photography.

Your calling BS are you?

I'm making a call here too mate...

I'm calling "NUT BAG"!

Comment

So no heavyweight before 1980 looked as ripped as today's fighters?

Take a look at 1960 Cleveland Williams, and let me know what you think.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JAdbcF_MvY

Or how about 1974 Ken Norton? Which heavyweight today has a more impressive physique than that?
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbCrjtSaKuM

Comment

Let's take a look at Steve Cunningham...

http://2l7kr2xl4t7418ewd3w7ur01d2m.w...am-workout.jpg

And David Haye...

https://a4-images.myspacecdn.com/ima...d4f3f/full.jpg

Now in my opinion, Kenny Norton was the most ripped Heavy of the pre-professional era...

And by todays standards, yeah of course he still is ripped.

But by comparison to the MOST ripped boxers, of course he is what we'd call in bodybuilder terms.. "FAT".

And as much as I hate the little ******, try to find as fit a boxer at limit weight as this?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/6_Bl4su1SU0/maxresdefault.jpg

Rather difficult isn't it.

Comment

• Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
                      Max/Buddy Baer were known as chisled muscular giants in there day...by todays standards they both would look like they were on a toxin cleansing diet,all bone no mass. This is one example of course...even the great Louis had a great physique but lets be real he looks like a little boy in comparison to the average Hw who came after by 1970's. Even the bull Marciano is little noticeable at 185 copmpared to a Ken Norton/Lyle type fighter...both physiques became common in the 80's....to give an extent to how big guys got we had 6'3 240 Ruddock and guys like 6'5 230 tucker as the starting point of muscular giants. Of course Foreman at 6'3 220/225 was the first real one to be on the scene with modern skill for a good big Hw.

Looking at some pics even of the 200 pound Johnson who would most likely benefit more if he had been in modern age since his bmi w in conjuction with modern training would have him at about 6'4 240 pounds. However that is re creating a fighter which is not the topic.

6'2 plus ripped/ big Hw's like Jennings/ Joshua/Arias/Wilder/Haye/Povetkin/Klitchko etc are nothing special nowadays .

There were p[lenty ripped/Muscualr 90's SHW guys as well... Golota/Mercer/Morrison/Ruddock/Lewis/McCall/Rahman/Holyfield//Seldon/Thunder/Tyson/Grant/Briggs/Bruno/Foreman..etc...the era was stacked with guys who would dwarf the previuos generations.

The overall weight/height is bigger today...the average Hw is 6'3 235/ 6'4 240 somewhere in between ..MOST are not ripped as they weigh about 240 plus at times...guys like Wach at 6'8 260 or 6'0 Leapai who is just thick at about 250 like a Tua are not cut but both are about the 240/250 mark....Pulev at 6'4 250 is no cut guy either but massively thick too.

I would say the lighter weight classes its even a bigger difference now as far as size/ripped go. Take a look at SRR and RJJ's build.that is the difference as a whole.
                      Last edited by juggernaut666; 11-05-2015, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X