Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sky are beginning to purchase non-matchroom content.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    Would be interesting though because at the very least Adam Smith seems unhappy with Matchroom.

All down to how Barney Francis though isn't it. He seems real buddy buddy with Hearn.
    Francis and Barry Hearn also have a strong relationship, Barry has done some good stuff for Sky with other sports specifically Darts. Francis was also very keen to bring back the PPV model for boxing and along with Hearn have made it a real success by exploiting the casual fan base.

Adam Smith does have a lot of traction within Sky boxing though and I assume the adding of the WBSS and MTK tournaments were driven by him.

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
      I don’t know the figures of course, but they would’ve had to outbid ITV, but it wouldn’t have been a kings ransom by any means.

Sky always pick up Wilders fights, he’s a recognisable name over here and there’s still the potential of a huge fight with AJ sometime in the future.
      Yeah, don't think ITV bid much for the fights anyways. So yeah, SKY could easily just out bid them for certain fights they want to air.

Airing Wilder fights make sense as he has future potential foes in Fury and Joshua.

Comment

It contradicts a lot of the the exclusive deal with Matchroom. I can’t remember the last time Sky put on a domestic card that didn’t have Matchroom as the lead promoter.

If DAZN launches in the UK, surely Matchroom couldn’t remain with both.
        Since when is MTK a promotional company?

DAZN launching in the UK will put Hearn under a dilemma for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
          Since when is MTK a promotional company?

DAZN launching in the UK will put Hearn under a dilemma for sure
          MTK blur the lines between management and promoter. MTK Global are an official promoter though, headed by Lee Eaton, they’ve put a lot of shows on this year.

Comment

Francis and Barry Hearn also have a strong relationship, Barry has done some good stuff for Sky with other sports specifically Darts. Francis was also very keen to bring back the PPV model for boxing and along with Hearn have made it a real success by exploiting the casual fan base.

Adam Smith does have a lot of traction within Sky boxing though and I assume the adding of the WBSS and MTK tournaments were driven by him.
            Adam Smith is head of Boxing so yeah he has major pull. He's pretty much in charge.

Yeah true I didnt think of the darts. I bet that had a massive part of it.

Comment

MTK blur the lines between management and promoter. MTK Global are an official promoter though, headed by Lee Eaton, they’ve put a lot of shows on this year.
              Club shows almost exclusively though, with Lee Eaton not even having a photo for BoxRec, while having their top clients locked in with promoters with TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                Club shows almost exclusively though, with Lee Eaton not even having a photo for BoxRec, while having their top clients locked in with promoters with TV.
                Most are lower level but they’ve done a few decent ones recently for example Davies-Vasquez/ Walsh-Paulin was a very good card. Got McGregor-Farooq coming up as well.

With Sky’s backing they could put on some really good shows. I’d love to see Sky give MTK some dates, even if they’re co promotions with Hearn. It’d be far better than this next gen sh**.

Comment

Most are lower level but they’ve done a few decent ones recently for example Davies-Vasquez/ Walsh-Paulin was a very good card. Got McGregor-Farooq coming up as well.

With Sky’s backing they could put on some really good shows. I’d love to see Sky give MTK some dates, even if they’re co promotions with Hearn. It’d be far better than this next gen sh**.
                  Have yet to bother myself with much of the Next Gen stuff, so no real opinion on that.

Still, there's a reason why Eddie Hearn is tied with everything that physically happens in the UK.

Would be interesting to see what would happen in DAZN UK does happen though

Comment

Working...
                  X