Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Joshua Make Too Much Money To Be As Good As He Could Be??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Joshua Make Too Much Money To Be As Good As He Could Be??

I think thats what Atlas is kinda saying here. Agree, disagree or maybe somewhat true?

I'm definitely of the opinion that the more you got in the bank the easier you want your life to be. Which isn't very conducive to the getting hit in the head business so I suspect there is some truth to this.

I mean just look at how few guys last at the tip top of the game while getting tip top paydays. Its not many mfers who last vs the best in those silk sheets. You need some love of the game that goes beyond success & money like Floyd had. Like Canelo has now. I don't think Joshua had that despite comments he may have made about his dedication to his chosen profession.

Of course

His ability never quite matched up with his stardom, i always said that. I just expected that it’d be someone like Fury or Wilder to show it, not Andy Ruiz.

Fair play to him though. They have made an absolute fortune considering he’s just a good fighter, not great. Can’t knock them for it but it was always going to come to a halt.

Teddy is making a comparison to Jordan, but Jordan was great. Other huge stars like Ronaldo, Messi, Floyd etc. Etc. Their abilities are exceptional. Joshua was simply just good.
    Last edited by deathofaclown; 06-02-2019, 04:11 PM.

Comment

I think this is over analysing it tbh. AJ always struck me as a very dedicated guy.

He was just beaten by a better guy on the night, and potentially in general. Time will tell.

Comment

No offense intended but ask yourself why it seems like HW eras of the past appear better than their modern counterparts. Back then fighting was a way a life. You were born a fighter or became one because of your environment.

It seems to me like Joshua has had an easy life and with all the money and fame he wanted an easy out.

I don't think Joshua loves boxing like someone say, Lomachenko does, or hes willing to go life and death like someone like gatti.

Imo most of the guys with big paydays dont love the sport but the money that they make doing said profession. Cherry picking and match making goes a long way into hyping boxers up.

AJ got smashed and people still rate him high based on "resume ". Imo, resume means nothing. Perfect example is GGG/Canelo.

One guy has cherry picked a great resume because he was surrounded by good people. One guy had ****ty management and started late.

Barely any separation between those two.

Yet Canelo is a huge A side and people act like GGG is nothing

Comment

Naw. I've never heard of him having bad habits outside the ring. That's usually what happens when fighters get money and lose their will to win.

I think he's mentally weak. The pressure got to him. Hearn said he got the impression Joshua was relieved he lost. AJ retiring would not surprise me.

That's another thing that made Floyd, and Canelo to a certain extent, great. Floyd made all that money, had the target on his back, the media against him, tons of fans against him, and never picked up bad habits. He was able to tune all that noise out.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
            AJ retiring would not surprise me.
            Idk about this. It'd surprise me. I think there is too much money on the table still.

I wouldn't be surprised if he took some extra time off or if he went another route besides a Ruiz rematch doe. Joshua took an ass whipping last night. Seems like maybe not the smartest idea to go right back into a rematch vs a guy who gave you an ass whipping. Kinda like that recent Dogboe rematch that seemed ill advised.

Comment

Originally posted by Socialtwinkie View Post
              I don't think Joshua loves boxing like someone say, Lomachenko does, or hes willing to go life and death like someone like gatti.
              Absolutely agree.

Imo most of the guys with big paydays dont love the sport but the money that they make doing said profession.
              I think those are still two different things. If you don't love the sport first the money won't stick around cuz loving money over the game is a problem too. And the love of the sport is hard to maintain, cuz its such a rough sport, when you got everything you want.

I think you gotta appreciate the money & love the game. And few cats are capable of that when they are getting $10M, $20M, $100M for a 36 minute or less fight.

And to be clear I'm not saying this L was cuz of the money specifically. Obviously Ruiz was up for this fight & he's not an unskilled guy & he obviously came in with a plan to win & it worked, but I think the success & money one has plays into your overall trajectory in the sport with motivation & drive to improve & be willing to die in the ring if thats what it takes to win.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                Idk about this. It'd surprise me. I think there is too much money on the table still.

I wouldn't be surprised if he took some extra time off or if he went another route besides a Ruiz rematch doe. Joshua took an ass whipping last night. Seems like maybe not the smartest idea to go right back into a rematch vs a guy who gave you an ass whipping. Kinda like that recent Dogboe rematch that seemed ill advised.
                Saying stuff like this before the fight I wouldn't be surprised

But ‘AJ’ has told head coach Rob McCracken that he would retire if he ever had to deal with a fight like that again, in a interview to Ireland sports outlet Joe.

Joshua endured his toughest night in the ring against Klitschko, and was knocked to the canvas for the first time in his career.

“It was one of those where I had to go down to get back up.

“I learned I was too top-heavy as a heavyweight. I was doing my weights and I couldn’t carry my body properly.

”I also learned how to pace myself.

“Most importantly I said to my coach ‘if I have another one of these fights, I’m done with boxing’.
                https://www.express.co.uk/sport/boxi...dy-Ruiz-Jr/amp

https://podcasts.apple.com/il/podcas...=1000440187363

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                  I think Joshua is the type who jacks off to the sound of his own voice. He says a lot of sh^t. Idk that I buy most of it about boxing sh^t.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                    I think thats what Atlas is kinda saying here. Agree, disagree or maybe somewhat true?

I'm definitely of the opinion that the more you got in the bank the easier you want your life to be. Which isn't very conducive to the getting hit in the head business so I suspect there is some truth to this.

I mean just look at how few guys last at the tip top of the game while getting tip top paydays. Its not many mfers who last vs the best in those silk sheets. You need some love of the game that goes beyond success & money like Floyd had. Like Canelo has now. I don't think Joshua had that despite comments he may have made about his dedication to his chosen profession.
                    The Klitschko fight at Wembley was a bigger stage than the fight yesterday if we're being honest, and Joshua has already made a ton of money on other fights.

I think it was a different kind of pressure, tbh; after being nurtured as a British global star since winning the gold in London, he was finally at the point where he was going to fish/cut bait.

Wilder-Joshua was now a bonafide super fight, the US media had finally gotten on board, and a win in that fight would've truly set Joshua on a path to superstardom and a shot at earning a billion dollars.

The sponsors are now going global with him, Hearn's bet the future on him completely (even if he doesn't formally sign with DAZN, Hearn is still using his name to secure that billion dollars) and then...

The initial press run goes bad (no one wanted him to fight Miller, there were an easy 3 other fights that were wanted instead, and the DAZN move gave him no friendly harbor anywhere in the US really), the chosen opponent pisses hot for a multitude of different steroids, it takes an easy two weeks to find the new opponent, the new opponent looks terrible physically but is actually a better fighter than the original ask (Ruiz may be about where Pulev is, tbh), and then it's his first major camp stateside (done with the obligations to DAZN for footage).

It's a lot to overcome, enough to leave a spirit shaky.

And then you get popped behind the ear. Recipe for disaster.

Comment

Working...
                    X