No announcement yet.

deadlifting and boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deadlifting and boxing?

what do you guys feel about deadlifting for boxing? I want to start deadlifting for strength but I don't want it to negatively affect anything else.

Originally posted by johnjamieson View Post
    what do you guys feel about deadlifting for boxing? I want to start deadlifting for strength but I don't want it to negatively affect anything else.
    Compound movements are the only weightlifting you should be doing, IMO, unless you have something specific that is weak -- i.e., severely restricted movement in your shoulder girdle or imbalance between your hamstrings and quads or somesuch -- that is affecting your boxing.

Personally, I only do deadlifts, squats, and cleans. Anything else is just jerking off. Boxing is more like ballet than like football; you don't need rippling biceps or bulging muscles to box well; you need coordination and strength. If you lack coordination and strength, then Olympic-style lifts -- like the deadlift when done correctly -- are an excellent way to help develop them.

Use the Search function for "weights" or "weightlifting" to see the great debate.

Comment

Deadlifts are excellent for all around explosive power.....I cant see how there would be any negative effects, it is an exercise that should be in everyone's repertoire....

Comment

Light deads are great.

Comment

It cracks me up how everyone thinks that if they lift heavy weights they'll become muscle bound overnight. You have to TRY to get big and bulky, it's not like you do 10 reps of heavy and then the next morning you are a bodybuilder.

Comment

When doing deadlifts, do you want to do high reps or low reps?

Comment

Originally posted by Count Patron View Post
              It cracks me up how everyone thinks that if they lift heavy weights they'll become muscle bound overnight. You have to TRY to get big and bulky, it's not like you do 10 reps of heavy and then the next morning you are a bodybuilder.
              LOL true.....

Comment

Originally posted by VBoxer View Post
                When doing deadlifts, do you want to do high reps or low reps?
                High Reps. Low Weight. At least for boxing.

And yeah, you really have to eat a whole different way and lift a whole different way to get 10 pounds of muscle, I used to lift like a bodybuilder and doing some light deads wont do anything but make you stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTitan View Post

And yeah, you really have to eat a whole different way and lift a whole different way to get 10 pounds of muscle, I used to lift like a bodybuilder and doing some light deads wont do anything but make you stronger.
                  Not true, high rep low weight is pretty much useless for boxing.

What you need in boxing is an explosive strength and the best way to develop explosive strength(in other words fast twitch muscles, since some people understand that better) is through low rep high intensity training.

At some point training with medium weight can be added but you have to execute the movement(with medium weight) as quickly and explosively as possible.

Working with low weight your high treshold motoric units are not used and the goal is pretty much is not achieved.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTitan View Post

1. Deadlifts are ill suited for high reps.

2. High reps don't make you stronger. If you're looking for endurance, there are more efficient methods than weight training. Therefore weight training should be used for the one thing it does better than anything else: Increase strength.

Conclusion: Heavy weight/low reps FTW (once you're adapted and technically proficient of course)

Edit: Thumbs up Bomber!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X