Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sonny Liston would dominate if he fought today!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
    Are there even mods in this section anymore? Why is this guy still allowed to post he's clearly just trolling.
    Trolling is not allowed, but having a controversial opinion is. Its not clearly Black and White.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
      Of course there are. I read every post in here, several times a day. If lack of boxing knowledge or common sense was a bannable offense, 50% of the forum would be in trouble.

Comment

I can see Liston at the top today. Ali as well.

Comment

Liston would annihilate Wlad ala Cleveland Williams. Liston would get in close pound the body and then finish him off in the fifth or sixth round.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
            No if he fought today he'd be branded a hypejob which is exactly what he was. Total hypejob who beat absolutely nobody of any note what so ever apart from a glass jawed Patterson & went tooth and nail even losing to journeyman.

Most overrated HW in boxing history.
            I actually like Sonny but I agree with this. I used to think very highly of Sonny but I sat and watched as many fights as I could.. slow.. and overrated. I hope he thanked whoever gave him those long arms.

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post
              Evander Holyfield was once asked to do an interview and was REQUIRED to say how the fighters of the past were so much better than his time. He agreed. But when it came time, he had a change of heart and decided to ignore the script and told them what he REALLY thought.

He told them instead, how because of modern training and management that they now did not have to fight so often but were doubly effective. He told of how important strength was in boxing and how those who disagreed with him were those who did not have to fight against it! And he told how he was better than anything that came before him!
              I'm not aware of the "required" part to this statement other than it being published as part of an interview prior to the first Lewis fight.

"Look at the statistics. I've achieved more than the fighters before me. People say you can't compare the eras but you can. Improvement is there to be seen.

All my life I've wanted to be the best ever. It is a matter of opinion but gradually I've been rising in public opinion. One recent poll moved me up to third behind Ali and Louis - and, at 36, I believe I get better with every fight.

I admire the old fighters and I've built my skills on the people before me. And I've added more to it.

The training now is much more advanced. The psychological and physical preparations are now sciences which include everything from nutrition to muscular development.

Today's fighters are fitter, faster, stronger and hit harder. We don't have to fight so often because the schedule is geared to television money. So the training is more detailed and dedicated, yet we suffer less wear and tear while gathering our experience."

Comment

Yes he would!

He would have trouble with the size and reach of the russians, but overall he would be a Champ, he had more power than anyone, he had a long reach, he was an outstanding Boxer that he used more before turning Pro, but his power kept him from needing or using his skills, most overrated HW, that's funny, and claiming he fought no one, that's also funny as you make that claim for most of the fighters in history, not all but most.

Comment

He is an AT top 10 heavyweight. He competes well in or dominates any era. Those feet were not slow. Watch them pursue Clay I. It was everything spry Clay could do to stay a step in front of Sonny. Hits too hard for anyone he can land on. Capable of absorbing Cleveland Williams' best and coming on for a KO. Vladver Klinchko could not run fast enough, his stork legs would become tangled in the panic of retreat only to find that Liston's preternaturally long arms can reach him when he amateurishly holds his arms straight out to try and ward off the glaring beast pursuing him. A few combos and it would be over for most moderns.
                  Last edited by The Old LefHook; 08-22-2015, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X