Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golden Boy is taking over as the top boxing promoter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It wasn't til I seen this that I realized how careful GB is at matching up their fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
      It wasn't til I seen this that I realized how careful GB is at matching up their fighters.
      What? GB put their young guys in with threats all the time, if anything they are not careful enough compared to top rank.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
        What? GB put their young guys in with threats all the time, if anything they are not careful enough compared to top rank.
        The only ones they are truly careful with right now is Canelo, and that's knowing that he was about to fight Kirkland and Paul Williams until things happened.

To an extent Danny Garcia with him fighting Morales twice and now Judah. But Khan was a pretty stiff challenge and I hear he might get Mattysse next.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
          Some of tho GB fighters have been matched tough while others clearly haven't.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
            I think GBP did a great job with Canelo, he's got a lot of buzz around him and does great numbers without having beaten a single elite fighter. He's a bigger draw than a guy like Brando Rios for example, who's about the same age and has been in the ring with dangerous opponents.

I don't think GBP's matchmaking skills are bad, again look at what they're doing with Canelo. TR let the Gamboa/Lopez fight marinate too long and Lopez got knocked out twice, that's not good matchmaking. Jose Benavidez got a near death experience in his last fight, one more shot and he would be TR's version of Linares.

TR will always be a player but the question is, will they be the TOP player? I don't think so.

Khan is a cash cow if you take into account the money he generates in the UK. There's a reason why he was in negotiations to fight Floyd.

Marquez is not with Top Rank, he's with Zanfer promotions, they just make a deal with TR whenever he fights Pacquiao.

From a commercial standpoint there's no difference between a legit champ and a strap holder. So 11 to 3 is pretty significant.
            JMM is listed in the Top Rank page. Even his last non-Pacquiao fight was a Top Rank PPV. Chavez is also with Zanfer, but is still with Top Rank.

As far as title holders, TR has Donaire, Rigo, Bradley, JMM, Roman Martinez, and Salido. And pacquiao might as well be a champion without a belt.

Khan is a cash cow if you take into account the money he generates in the UK. There's a reason why he was in negotiations to fight Floyd.
            Guerrero was also in negotiations with a Floyd fight! He's hardly a cash cow. Doubt UK money is THAT significant. Khan isn't fighting on PPV in the UK. Obviously if he fought Floyd, there would be lots money, but he's not. Plus he's coming off a couple loses, including a KO. He has no belt. His stock is way down. If Khan was a cashcow, Garcia would be begging to fight him again like Martinez and Froch are salivating over those Chavez and Bute rematches.

Comment

To be honest, it looks more like Al Haymon is "taking over" boxing more than anything/anyone else.

Comment

Golden Broid Promotions

Comment

Originally posted by Afactor4 View Post
                  To be honest, it looks more like Al Haymon is "taking over" boxing more than anything/anyone else.
                  Seth Mitchell and Berto just lost though.

Comment

Originally posted by I'm so sorry View Post
                    Seth Mitchell and Berto just lost though.

Devon Alexander and Rico Ramos lost too. Heck even when Berto lost the first time, the influence of Al Haymon kept getting stronger and stronger.

Comment

I think GBP did a great job with Canelo, he's got a lot of buzz around him and does great numbers without having beaten a single elite fighter. He's a bigger draw than a guy like Brando Rios for example, who's about the same age and has been in the ring with dangerous opponents.
                      Canelo and Mares are two fighters that GBP are doing a great job at developing. They get a ton of props from me on that. They just need to continue to do that with other fighters and be more consistent as far as building fighters up.

I don't think GBP's matchmaking skills are bad, again look at what they're doing with Canelo. TR let the Gamboa/Lopez fight marinate too long and Lopez got knocked out twice, that's not good matchmaking. Jose Benavidez got a near death experience in his last fight, one more shot and he would be TR's version of Linares.
                      Gamboa vs Lopez isn't Top Rank fault at all. That lies 100% on Lopez. Dude is a puzzy and I'm glad Salido sparked him out twice. Think about it for a second....whenever Top Rank has two top fighters in the same division....when has a fight not happened.

Carbajal vs Gonzalez
                      Morales vs Barrera
                      Pacquiao vs Marquez
                      Gamboa vs Salido
                      and the list goes on and on.

So out of all the occasions, only once has a fight not happened. Gamboa was game, it was in house and made a ton of sense....but you can tell that Juanma is doing what Donaire is doing to Rigo. If a fighter from Top Rank wants a fight....it will happen. especially if it's in house.

TR will always be a player but the question is, will they be the TOP player? I don't think so.
                      As long as DeBouf and Bruce Trampler are around they will always be a Top player. Trampler hands down the best match maker in boxing and one of, if not the greatest of all time. Also DeBouf has a tremedous eye for talent as he was the guy who got Cotto and various other fighters to sign as soon as they turned pro.

I also like DeBouf anyways as he will work with anyone and is very well respected amongst boxers, other promoters and managers.

Comment

Working...
                      X