Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some one pls explain to me...What is so special about Ward?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some one pls explain to me...What is so special about Ward?

I've seen the kat fight...I've seen him win vs a few decent guys...I've seen a dude with 15 ko's and only 2 in his last 10 fight...his best win was vs Carl Froch (IMO) good all around dude by all accounts....but does this make him the next? or the current?? is he a ATG already? some people seem to think so.....but why?

What am I missing here? can someone school me on SOG???

He is a very good fighter, good skills all around. He doesnt have a universally appealing style so he probably doesnt get the credit he deserves. On top of that he doesnt care if you dont like the way he fights he just wins, which has worked for him so far.

An atg? I personally dont think so but he may end up that way, time will tell.

Comment

Ward doesn't do anything special. You would be right in that assessment. He isn't particularly skillful or quick, nor does he have blistering combinations. What he does do however, is understand how to smother his opponents work and he is stronger than most guys and can fight well on the inside.

Basically, he does enough to win but never enough to look exceptional.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
        Ward doesn't do anything special. You would be right in that assessment. He isn't particularly skillful or quick, nor does he have blistering combinations. What he does do however, is understand how to smother his opponents work and he is stronger than most guys and can fight well on the inside.

Basically, he does enough to win but never enough to look exceptional.
        Are you serious?

Comment

He's a really sound boxer. I wouldn't categorize him as special.

Comment

Experience and boxing smarts are probably his best tools. He can fight inside or outside and is a good athlete. He hasn't lost since he was 12 or something which says a lot.

Comment

He's a very good fighter. He does everything well.

One of his most underrated weapons is his timing. He can also throw a straight right faster than most people throw jabs.

Extremely precise footwork and will tangle you up with his lead hand. Great switch hitter. Gritty on the inside. Top 5 defense in the game.

Ward to me is the perfect mix of skill and natural attributes.

Not Atg yet, but definitely on his way.

Comment

Originally posted by KingHippo View Post
                Are you serious?
                Does he have blistering combinations? Exceptionally quick hands? Is his skill set on par with the greats of the past?

Ward is very simple to predict, it's jab, jab, right hand, clinch, elbow, maybe a head butt then repeat.

I'm not sure how many rounds he'd be winning if we had judges scoring his fights in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Nowadays, a fighter who is able to negate his opponent and even if he can't land much of his own, can win rounds.

Maybe I shouldn't have said he isn't particularly skillful, because he is good at what he does but he is pretty straightforward. What adds to his game is his strength on the inside and the poor quality of modern day inside fighters helps him.

Anyway, some fighters who do very few things but do them well enough can still achieve a very high standard. Just look at Hopkins, Wlad and Lewis for example.

Comment

Originally posted by RavshinRicRude View Post

I've seen the kat fight...I've seen him win vs a few decent guys...I've seen a dude with 15 ko's and only 2 in his last 10 fight...his best win was vs Carl Froch (IMO) good all around dude by all accounts....but does this make him the next? or the current?? is he a ATG already? some people seem to think so.....but why?

What am I missing here? can someone school me on SOG???
                  I couldn't even answer that. He's like the definition of basic. He wins doe and he will beat Kov by a wide margin. What did they call Tim Duncan? Mr. fundamentals, that's your Andre Ward....

Comment

Well he is black so that automatically makes him skilled. If he were a pure white guy he would be considered a hype job with flaws that hbo protects by giving him guys like brand to fight and his olympic gold wouldnt mean chit it was rigged.

Comment

Working...
                    X