No announcement yet.

1990s Foreman vs 1990s Tyson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GAME2010 View Post
    I said after 88, after spinks bout Tyson was never the same fighter. His skills eroided.

During the time of the event when he fought douglas, we said Tyson "yeah hes in his prime". But, now with secondary sources - being 2010 we can look back when things went wrong due to the power of the secondary source
    There's a difference between being past one's prime and making a conscious decision to become lazy and sloppy. Tyson was the latter when he fought Douglas.

Originally posted by The Iron Man View Post
    You have said this before and it just isn't true. Here are the score cards of that fight (from boxrec)

Julio Roldan 118-113 | judge: Phil Newman 119-111 | judge: Bill Graham 117-112

Larry merchants score card was also 117-112. Tyson 8, Tucker 3 and one even.
    Larry gave Tucker the first, third and last round. None of these score cards indicate tucker was the better fighter in the first 4 rounds.

As for punch stats - Tyson landed 52% and tucker 39%, Tyson also out jabbed tucker.
    Actually two of those scorecards indicate that Tucker won at least 4 rounds- do the math. Unless Roldan or Graham had 10-8 rounds in there, Tucker could have taken 3 or 4 of the first 4 rounds. In any event, Tucker had Tyson perplexed early and could have won the fight without the hand injury. At the very least, he proved that Tyson's aggressiveness could be nullified with the right strategy: One, two, tie him up. One, two, push him off, rinse and repeat.

Comment

Foreman KO1.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
        So they say Joe had no quit in him and you say Joe "asked" his corner to throw the towel in.....who's more reliable?

They'd have more reason to lie than I would.As I already said,a fighter is rarely,if ever going to admit that he quit.Claiming that he could have gone on makes him look good and look like a warrior.

I wouldn't agree with that.

You think Vitali is a greater puncher than Wladimir? because he has a higher KO ratio?

Everyone knows Wladimir hits harder than his brother.He has the greater one punch power than Vitali too.

Thats right. I've never seen Douglas drop anyone like Liston with a single shot.

Why even bring that up? You know the story and the controversy that surrounds that fight.

Stop trying to make it sound like Mike was anywhere near the top of his game for that fight. we all know he trained on Japanese hookers and Saki.

How are these Japanese hookers any different to the sleazy yank hookers he was probably nailing every other night?

He was still in his prime and still destroying top contenders at that time.

He sat on his ass and WATCHED the ref (thru clear eyes) count him out.

He was in a state of shock.It wasn't you who had to take that right hand,was it?

Kid, nobody compares to you as a troll. That is the only thing you've ever won on these boards hands down.

And yet you and only a few others in this section are the only one's who have a clue who I actually am.

Poet is well known on this forum and it's due to his trolling.I'm not well know here,despite posting on here for almost a year now because I tend keep myself to myself.

I'd say the vast majority on this site recognize him as a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
          Actually two of those scorecards indicate that Tucker won at least 4 rounds- do the math. Unless Roldan or Graham had 10-8 rounds in there, Tucker could have taken 3 or 4 of the first 4 rounds. In any event, Tucker had Tyson perplexed early and could have won the fight without the hand injury. At the very least, he proved that Tyson's aggressiveness could be nullified with the right strategy: One, two, tie him up. One, two, push him off, rinse and repeat.
          Larry Merchants gave one even and it was pretty obvious that he won the last round and not the first four rounds (all of them anyway). I feel that this has been blown out of proportion since time has gone on, there was no fuss at the end of the fight from press, i have just read through some newspaper articles and non of them mention Tucker getting the better of tyson in the first few rounds and generally say Tyson was in no trouble of a loss. I guess showing the score cards without a breakdown is a bit useless.

I agree that he some what nullified tysons aggression but he did not do enough offensively and was quite happy to keep tying Tyson up and turning the fight into a bore fest. Personally i dont think he won all or the majority of the first 4 rounds or could have beaten tyson if he didnt hurt his hand, but i guess thats down to opinion.

Comment

Tyson would've made Foreman retire on his stool.

Comment

Originally posted by nightowl View Post
              Tyson would've made Foreman retire on his stool.
              It's time to play another installment of "Who's That Alt!" :whistle9:

Poet

Comment

Tucker was a good fighter, one of boxing underachivers.. yes he was a world champion but he could have been so much more!

Comment

Working...
                X