Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who do you rate higher P4P: Roberto Duran or Muhammad Ali

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probaby Ali, by a hair. Duran was very special, but Ali was, just Ali.

Comment

Ali with ease. Just greatness

Comment

Ali

Fortunate to have been a fan in their era.

Comment

Duran all the way. He won the lightweight title at 21 against the very tough Ken Buchannan. He made twelve title defenses against all comers and was the only champion for most of that time. Dejesus was a great fighter and would have ruled the division had Duran not beaten him down twice. He moved up and beat the great Carlos Palomino and even made it look easy. He beat Leonard when no one thought he would in a great performance, becoming a two-division champion. He destroyed Pipino Cuevas and then annihilated Davey Moore to become a 3-division champion. Then at 38, beat Iran Barkley, becoming the only fighter to win titles at lightweight and middleweight at the time, with only De La Hoya to my knowledge doing it since and even that is a stretch, considering his fight against Sturm could have gone to Sturm. he fought on until in his fifties and only quit because of injuries in a car wreck. He still had no sign of brain damage to this day and proved he could fight on the inside and outside without getting hit. A defensive and offensive master who rarely failed to thrill the crowds. I rank him over everybody and Ali of course, has an amazing resume, but I don't think he did quite as much and he took too many beatings which Duran never did. he got outboxed and knocked out a few times, but did not incur punishment for several rounds in a row the way Ali did near the end. Both are great and I knew Ali would get the edge in this poll, but Duran is the greatest of all time and we all know the greatest fighter ever definitely was not a heavyweight.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
            Duran all the way. He won the lightweight title at 21 against the very tough Ken Buchannan. He made twelve title defenses against all comers and was the only champion for most of that time. Dejesus was a great fighter and would have ruled the division had Duran not beaten him down twice. He moved up and beat the great Carlos Palomino and even made it look easy. He beat Leonard when no one thought he would in a great performance, becoming a two-division champion. He destroyed Pipino Cuevas and then annihilated Davey Moore to become a 3-division champion. Then at 38, beat Iran Barkley, becoming the only fighter to win titles at lightweight and middleweight at the time, with only De La Hoya to my knowledge doing it since and even that is a stretch, considering his fight against Sturm could have gone to Sturm. he fought on until in his fifties and only quit because of injuries in a car wreck. He still had no sign of brain damage to this day and proved he could fight on the inside and outside without getting hit. A defensive and offensive master who rarely failed to thrill the crowds. I rank him over everybody and Ali of course, has an amazing resume, but I don't think he did quite as much and he took too many beatings which Duran never did. he got outboxed and knocked out a few times, but did not incur punishment for several rounds in a row the way Ali did near the end. Both are great and I knew Ali would get the edge in this poll, but Duran is the greatest of all time and we all know the greatest fighter ever definitely was not a heavyweight.

Actually, Duran took a lot of punishment against William Joppy and it was hard to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
              Actually, Duran took a lot of punishment against William Joppy and it was hard to watch.
              how that fight was made at cholo's age is a lost on me

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
                how that fight was made at cholo's age is a lost on me
                I agree and I felt sad watching that one.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                  It was very pointless. Still, three rounds of Joppy compared to 8 rounds of Foreman, 41 rounds of Frazier, 45 with Norton, 15 with Shavers, 10 rounds of total ass whipping from Holmes and 10 from a young Berbick? Huge difference.

Comment

It was very pointless. Still, three rounds of Joppy compared to 8 rounds of Foreman, 41 rounds of Frazier, 45 with Norton, 15 with Shavers, 10 rounds of total ass whipping from Holmes and 10 from a young Berbick? Huge difference.
                    I know this is besides the point but do you or anyone else think the Berbick fight was close? I've seen it twice and don't like to watch Ali from the era cos it's just so sad but there were glimpses of the younger Ali, he seemedt o get the better of Berbick at times and although Berbick won the fight, I think Ali has a great argument for making it close.

I think the last time I watched it, I scored it 7-3, with some of those rounds going to Berbick being very close.

Comment

Given that Duran is my favorite fighter of all times, I could easily agree with you if I were judging from the heart, but my objective head compels to give the edge - ever so slightly - to Ali.

Comment

Working...
                      X