No announcement yet.

The Fall Of Monroe Brooks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fall Of Monroe Brooks

Back in the 70's Monroe Brooks seemed to be a welterweight on the move upward. As a young boxing fan I had my eye on him, expecting big things. He had a few spectacular wins and was a dramatic puncher. He swung so hard that when he missed he practically coiled around himself three times. He had enough gifts and skill to look like a champ in the making.

Then Duran began his run through the welterweights. Duran was not going on a cherry picking tour, so he sought the tough guys immediately upon entering the division, skipping junior welterweight altogether. He saw the deadly Brooks only as a stepping stone.

It was an all time great versus an awful good and bigger prospect with experience that night.

Brooks would have beaten most welterweights in the world at that point in his career, and that was an awful strong welterweight era about to get even stronger.

Duran mauled Brooks. It was beautiful the way he dealt with a talented bigger man. Duran was not going to be denied at all. You would be lucky to find ten welterweights in history who could have beaten the Duran of that night.

Brooks gave a decent account against this absolute cream of ATGs, but the mangling he took from Duran ended his own meteoric ascent and more or less finished him as a hot prospect and fighter. He could have gone farther no doubt had his career been managed more carefully and had he cherry picked a little more wisely.

Yet Duran had looked to be the perfect fight for him at the time, since he was about 29 and only a natural lightweight during his absolute prime. Here now in his late prime he was jumping to welter.

Before the Brooks fight, few understood yet just how great Duran was.

After (actually, during) the Brooks fight, this situation began to clear up dramatically. Duran sacrificed a hella fine fighter that night for his career--Monroe Brooks. In another era he would have gone further, but he served as a Duran stepping stone and gave a good account.

Brooks lost, was never one of the champions as he would be today, but he has more immortality than you or I.
    Last edited by The Old LefHook; 11-14-2019, 12:46 AM.

Any video of him online?

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
      Any video of him online?
      Yes. I just rewatched the fight on YouTube. I wrote the post from memory. Memory loses precision with time. Brooks had already lost a few fights by that point in his career but he was a very good welterweight. The commentary is pretty good. Great to hear those old voices again.

Comment

An early reconnoiter for Duran at welter. Brooks had been beaten a few times by then, even knocked out once, but my errant memory was thinking he had been undefeated at the time. A pretty good fighter, though. Duran did more than dip his toes in the waters of welterweight here.

Comment

Lefty

I question your account on one issue I have. This is my issue, I admit as much. I don't believe a talented prospect is cut short when they lose to a great fighter. Unless they are beat up horribly...I would even take issue with Left Hand Lacy being put to rest because of Joe Calzone.

There are probably other considerations here. I mention this because there seems this new brain wash out and sold in all the finer brain washing shops...Claiming that a prospect should not fight the best, they may be cut short. meanwhile Tank Davis runs around with Bronner hitting the strip clubs and fighting bums and this presumably brings him along for the likes of Lomo?

They started this same Hoop hula with the kid at lightweight this weekend, Haney was the name, claiming a fight with Loma would just...just...just devistate the poor young man. I call BS. Take the fight, get the experience, learn, keep fighting. Great fighters learn how to learn. I will say that again: "Great fighters learn, how to learn." When great martial arts men do a technique on you, there is an art to watching what they do, as your put into a world of pain, responding to what they are doing. But if one does not do this they will never understand precisely what is being done to them.

Haney has been fighting in Mexico because they would not let him fight at his young age in America. Let the kid get the experience while Tank is protected...Maybe it will motivate some of these others to do the same and not try to remain undefeated.

Comment

- -Boner KTFO Wank outside the Canelo dressing room for the Kov fight.

Comment

Working...
            X