Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is Mel Gibson an O.G? Impressive Film work overrule any bad tastes about him?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alexguiness View Post
    Mel is an OG, no doubt at all.

He took on the Jewish cabal that runs Hollywood and won with pure talent and commitment to his craft.

Also he takes no sheet from from females - which I like.
    Now that I think about.. man i forgot. I remember Passion Of The Christ made more than Titanic if I’m not mistaken. Broke the record. Then Avatar re blasted that I believe.

Anyways. I remember Gibson received A LOT OF HEAT for that film for supposedly making the Jews the antagonists to Christ’s demise. We need Zaroku to dive on that and set the record straight.

But yeah, I think Passion of the Christ was the precursor for Gibson’s demise. That police recording is what they were looking for to discredit his legacy because I think Hollywood and some powerful moguls didn’t like that he broke records based on the Christ! Lol

Comment

I also liked Mel in Signs and When we were Soldiers.

He has such presence on the screen like Bruce Willis and Idris Elba

Comment

Some of his films are so historically inaccurate as to be laughable. So many examples, it's hard to pick the worst ones.

BRAVEHEART:
        Scots didn't start wearing kilts till the late 18th century
        13th Century Scots didn't paint their faces blue; Roman era Britons did.
        Wallace couldn't have made the Queen pregnant, she was 9 when he died.
        Wallace came from a wealthy background, not a peasant.
        Etc. Etc.

Apocalypto

Mayan civilization declined by the 8th century, which is when this movie takes place. Spanish ships seen in the last scene are
        way off timewise.
        Mayans didn't perform human sacrifice; it was the Aztecs who did that act.
        Etc Etc

The Patriot
        5 shillings for every month of service and freedom were given to slaves who fought for the Continental Army. This did not happen during the war.
        Benjamin Martin seems to be a man of many morals and principles in the movie but the character he was portrayed as (Francis Marion) was a fanatic of Indian killing for fun. He also was known for rapping his slaves.
        Etc Etc

Yeah Yeah I know they were movies and not documentaries, but still...he could have made an effort to get some basic facts straight.

He was great in Mad Max. His mullet in Lethal Weapon was epic.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
          Apocalypto was a great film, one of his best. I actually like some of his recent indie work he's been putting out. Blood Father and Get the Gringo were both very good movies. Lethal Weapon flicks are always a fun watch. Ransom, Conspiracy Theory, and Payback were also excellent.
          As someone who hates PC bull****. Appcalypto was both erring on all out racism and also disgustingly historically inaccurate. ****e movie for the historically illiterate.

Comment

Originally posted by Mooshashi View Post
            Some of his films are so historically inaccurate as to be laughable. So many examples, it's hard to pick the worst ones.

BRAVEHEART:
            Scots didn't start wearing kilts till the late 18th century
            13th Century Scots didn't paint their faces blue; Roman era Britons did.
            Wallace couldn't have made the Queen pregnant, she was 9 when he died.
            Wallace came from a wealthy background, not a peasant.
            Etc. Etc.

Apocalypto

Mayan civilization declined by the 8th century, which is when this movie takes place. Spanish ships seen in the last scene are
            way off timewise.
            Mayans didn't perform human sacrifice; it was the Aztecs who did that act.
            Etc Etc

The Patriot
            5 shillings for every month of service and freedom were given to slaves who fought for the Continental Army. This did not happen during the war.
            Benjamin Martin seems to be a man of many morals and principles in the movie but the character he was portrayed as (Francis Marion) was a fanatic of Indian killing for fun. He also was known for rapping his slaves.
            Etc Etc

Yeah Yeah I know they were movies and not documentaries, but still...he could have made an effort to get some basic facts straight.

He was great in Mad Max. His mullet in Lethal Weapon was epic.
            This. Appcalypto is the worst historical movie ever. He showed the Mayans dying of ****ing smallpox before any Spaniards arrive and obviously centuries off from the real timeline.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
              Yup. This generation has no manly star. We had Arnold and Stallone as jacked up action guys but you also had Gibson being a badass any man.
              Here's the next badass for the 21st Century

Comment

Originally posted by BoloShot View Post
                As someone who hates PC bull****. Appcalypto was both erring on all out racism and also disgustingly historically inaccurate. ****e movie for the historically illiterate.
                I believe that movie makers owe it to audiences to get at LEAST the major facts straight in historical films, because, let's be honest, most Americans get their history from movies, not books. This Lounge is proof of their ignorance.

Gladiator is one of my favorite movies, but people argue that it has some major inaccuracies (Commodus didn't kill his father and didn't die in the arena) but my fallback is that it's a fantasy, so anything goes.

Many times the real history is better than the movie. And directors, like Gibson, are making some kind of cultural or political statement rather than stick to facts. Of course, this goes right over the heads of most viewers.

It's entertainment, but Jesus don't lie to us.

Comment

Originally posted by BoloShot View Post
                  While there were some inconsistencies it wasn't a racist film or outrageously inaccurate. Hollywood takes a lot of liberties when producing historical movies. Most movies are going to have historical inaccuracies, and the further back you go the more you have to rely upon questionable documentation and often times history is documented in such a way as to contradict itself.

The film was meant to be an historical adventure film, which means it was meant more for entertainment value, it wasn't meant to be a documentary. Sometimes you have to allow yourself to sit back and be entertained, otherwise every movie you watch will have you pulling your hair out of your head in frustration. I can pick apart just about every epic Hollywood production for inaccuracies, exaggerations, perceived stereotyping or racism, and outright falsities, but what fun would that be?

Comment

Mel Gibson makes great stuff.

The mother****er is crazy but hey I don't blame him. All great artists are a little ****ed in the head

Comment

Originally posted by STREET CLEANER View Post
                      I also liked Mel in Signs and When we were Soldiers.

He has such presence on the screen like Bruce Willis and Idris Elba
                      I think Idris Elba always put on a good performance. But I don't think that Bruce Willis will ever be accused of being a good actor. He is a journeyman at best, with apologies to all the journeymen in this world.

Comment

Working...
                      X