Collapse
No announcement yet.

The myth that Wilder can't box

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol at wilder and skill being in the same sentence. it's funny because the only time i've seen him box and look decent was in the 1st stiverne fight. since then, he's been horrible and shown no improvement.

Comment

Go back and watch some footage of Gerry Cooney, even Cooney had way better fundamentals and skills, and he was considered a laughing stock back in the 80s.

Comment

I'm the new Roy Jones.

Athleticism pay the bills.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
          Go back and watch some footage of Gerry Cooney, even Cooney had way better fundamentals and skills, and he was considered a laughing stock back in the 80s.
          I don't remember Cooney being a laughing stock. Was this after the Spinks/Foreman losses?

As for Wilder, he is what he is. He's improving, but also he has the death blow in the right hand. It's a weak division, but Wilder isn't as bad as people think, just like AJ isn't as good as people think.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
            The skill level back in the 80's was much better over all though. If it wasn't for the cocaine plague during that time it would have been considered a deep and heavily talented era.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              The skill level back in the 80's was much better over all though. If it wasn't for the cocaine plague during that time it would have been considered a deep and heavily talented era.
              True. Which supports my point on other threads that this is the weakest HW division in the history of the sport. In terms of skill level, competition, and excitement. Fans thought it was bad during the Holmes era when we had Dokes, Weaver, Greg Page, Tex Cobb, Cooney, etc., but at least many of them had boxing fundamentals. There was also some decent talent like Shavers, Young, Snipes, Spinks. There weren't as many mismatches either.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                Still dudes like Riddick Bowe were all over the place.

Comment

While I will defend Wilder against irrational haters, I can't say that he's the most skilled. Though a lot of people underrate his jab which I think is world class.

But all the natural attributes he has overshadow his lack of skills. He's just head and shoulders above the rest as an athlete.

Comment

Originally posted by Dana White Sr View Post
                    lol at wilder and skill being in the same sentence. it's funny because the only time i've seen him box and look decent was in the 1st stiverne fight. since then, he's been horrible and shown no improvement.

I think he looked great the second time they fought. Especially that jab. He also incorporated some unusual footwork in there.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                      It's not a myth, Wilder's fundamentals are complete **** and he gets outboxed all the damn time. Ortiz is a good fighter but your other two examples are not the kind of guys that should be outboxing you if you're a championship level fighter.

I don't know how Wilder got this far because he's a really poor boxer. His footwork, timing, and ability to judge distance are really bad for the level he succeeds at.
                      high level fighters struggle in sparring with guys off the streets and amateurs! it happens, wilder isn't the most skilled I agree but to say hes this windmill swinging bum like you all say is going too far

Comment

Working...
                      X