Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you tell Joe Louis to fight a prime Foreman

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most would say his best performance was vs the undefeated Frazier in 73. George weighed 217 not 225. Louis best weight as per Louis was 202. Weight and physiques have nothing to do with predicting a fights outcome when your opponent is a tier 1 hwt such as Louis.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
      Foreman was a tremendous puncher but in all other categories Louis outpaces him by ten miles. Louis was a pulverizing puncher and he would find Foreman an easy target to hit.
      Most would say his best performance was vs the undefeated Frazier in 73. George weighed 217 not 225. Louis best weight as per Louis was 202. Weight and physiques have nothing to do with predicting a fights outcome when your opponent is a tier 1 hwt such as Louis.
      ^^^^this^^^^

Comment

Hey JAB! Sure miss the old AOL boxing boards. What discussions we all had!

Comment

--- When George weighed 217 for Frazier, he was still being dehydrated by Sadler to make him maniacal in the ring, hence his wild boxing style, KOs, and rep as a beast.

Louis best hope is Saddler working with Blackburn and Joe on strategy and then drugging george aka the Zaire fight with Ali.

Worked like a charm!

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
            --- When George weighed 217 for Frazier, he was still being dehydrated by Sadler to make him maniacal in the ring, hence his wild boxing style, KOs, and rep as a beast.

Louis best hope is Saddler working with Blackburn and Joe on strategy and then drugging george aka the Zaire fight with Ali.

Worked like a charm!
            I'm curious if you have any proof of this besides Foreman's well know exaggeration?

Comment

Hey JAB! Sure miss the old AOL boxing boards. What discussions we all had!
              Lol, good times for sure!!! This place is the p*ssycat lounge compared to the old AOL forums which were not moderated to my knowledge. Hard to believe it's been about 20 years since I first started posting there. Hope you're well my friend!

Comment

--- Was on the ol' aol forum that remains even today the best boxing forum in history.

When I first saw Ali/foreman within seconds I thought him drugged as he moved off balance in slowmo. that was confirmed in a fashion later as I read by George Plimpton who cried seconds into the fight, "the fix is in." Later claimed by foreman in his autobio and Sadler conspiring with Ali's camp on how to beat George.

George was somewhat quick counted out arising at the 9 second mark. Seconds later Ali collapsed for 30 seconds and had to be dragged to his corner.

Took 1/5th the purse of the offered rematch to look shot to stink against Wepner and never looked more than stink after Foreman save against a few Dunn types.

Comment

Queensbury has no idea what he is talking about. George admitted he was making up stuff after being koed by Ali. "Ali was a 215 pound hwt a big man. There was only so many of those right hands I could take"

Comment

--- George like Dempsey was secure enough to always be very gracious to fighters outside the ring.

Irrefutable, son, collapsing seconds after George arose and no big money rematch, instead milking his title when his doc was telling him to retire to no avail.

Big George proved himself in a lesser form during his come what had been lost when he was frozen out of the title by Ali.

Comment

I lived all through that era. Watched that bout live as it occurred. George on Art Rust radio program at the beginning of his comeback years after retiring was asked by Art to explain his comments after his KO loss to Ali...short count, being drugged etc. Foreman stated he could not believe he had lost and was making up excuses for the loss.

Comment

Working...
                      X