Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Sergio Martinez Crushes Paul Williams in Two Rounds

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations Sergio!!! Hope he gets fighter of the Year!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Pullcounter View Post
      yep, if pwill was any kind of smart, he'd have stuck around at WW and attempted to unify.

even if he cleaned out 154 lbs, that would've been impressive and would've not allowed cotto or pac to capture titles there.
      That is exactly how I see it.

Everyone controls their own destiny.

Williams tried to be a superstar, without doing any of the hard work required to get there. He should have cleaned out a division, even a continual stay-busy/mandatory schedule will lead to the top if you keep winning. Even in this age where the ABC sanctioning bodies are a joke.

Comment

• That was pathetic last night. He better sure up his defense. No top fighter should get laid out like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by switchsouthpaw View Post
          I'm not saying what PWill should or shouldn't have done. You have a certain window in boxing where you have your best years, and in those years you look for opportunities to make the best money you can and that means chasing May or Pac, unfortunately it means that for everyone .

Hold on switch, I actually agree with you, but the point is this.....
          if you do not put yourself in a position where you are worthy of those opportunities, then you will miss out, they will be offered to somebody else.

For example, he has not achieved a body-of-work in any division that justifies him being mentioned for a Manny/Floyd fight.

e.g. MW. Sergio is the man, that is undisputed. Williams has never been in that position, so nobody has taken him seriously. Although in saying that, he did get ****ed around by Pavlik.

PC is right imho, Williams needed to stick at welter, and push for mandatories, or he needed to leave the division, and forget about it.....

And, there is no coming back, as soon as you leave, you lose momentum.

Why would anyone take Williams seriously when he calls out Hopkins at 170, then two days later calls out Manny at 147?

The point is Williams had the balls to get in the ring twice with Martinez who is a handful for everyone and anyone. Quintana isn't garbage, he was skilled and slick during his best years. To have reached that level and be successful a few times means he was doing something right, but that's merely my opinion. If I was advising PWill I would have told him not to do it. I would have picked a conventional fighter. You have to match your fighter correctly and like a stock watch it grow. Williams in his haste to fight anyone and everyone is to be admired for that, but he paid a price for it tonight and will probably never be the same again. If Williams stayed at 147 or even 154, how many dates would HBO have reserved for him, if any at all? He wouldn't have been making as much money as people think. He simply wanted a big payday and I don't fault him for that.
          I see your point, and I can't really argue with that.

I will agree with Pull Counter on this one as well.....
          he made some great fights, and we should all be grateful.

Point taken, and I will lay off Williams.

I hope he makes a full recovery and can continue with his career.

But I will say that Williams abnormal body-type has made it just as difficult for him, as it has for anyone he fights.

Comment

• Originally posted by gwildcat77 View Post
            This fight made Paul "The Punisher" Williams.. AKA "The most feared man in boxing" .... look like an Amateur... He look like he didn't know how to handle slick boxers... This means he would totally get schooled by FLOYD.
            Yeah first it was Margarito who was "most feared" but that was because he had rocks in his gloves and then Williams but that was because his promoter had rocks in his head....and now its been said that Pac is the most "feared"...stop using that label...believe me if the money was right any of you would get in the ring//// "with your no skills".....

Comment

• LOL...
              Martinez got the best out of Pwill... coz Pwill looks like a BUM out there...

But if Pac fight this Great Champ from Arg... He cant hit Pac with that kind of Punch...

Pac will just move and float like a butterfly around Martinez....

Comment

• Originally posted by Fearless BONG View Post
                LOL...
                Martinez got the best out of Pwill... coz Pwill looks like a BUM out there...

But if Pac fight this Great Champ from Arg... He cant hit Pac with that kind of Punch...

Pac will just move and float like a butterfly around Martinez....
                Come on buddy, Martinez would fkn murder Manny.

Everybody that has ever fought Manny, has been able to connect with their best punch. Even the low-skilled Margarito.

You say Manny would "move and float like a butterfly around Martinez"..... well, I think that Manny would stop moving and punch with both hands, like he always does..... and I think that Martinez would counter, like he always does.

That fight.....
                a.) will never happen, thank god, I like Manny
                b.) would not last 4 rounds

Comment

• Such a awesome KO and people went crazy in this thread when it happened haha.

Comment

Working...
                  X