Collapse
No announcement yet.

FAO Deontay Wilder: Floyd's Shown You How to Make a Mega Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot is riding on the outcome of Fury's UKAD hearing on December the 11th, if Fury is given the go ahead to resume his Boxing career we may not see AJ face Wilder until 2019, maybe even 2020. This is because the bigger fight from a financial point of view in the UK is AJ v Fury. Wilder is too dangerous for AJ, losing to him will mean that his fight with Fury will not be as big as it could have been plus his purse wouldn't be as fatter. Regardless though, Fury is not going to return anytime soon even if he is cleared given his poor condition although his training has resumed. So it's all about whether or not AJ wants to take the risk? am not sure he will, he's already being stubborn about a 65-35 split in his favour to face Parker.

Comment

Originally posted by Pan-Africanist View Post
      That’s their job is your excuse? So nobody over there in Britain is reading the British press then since nobody knows who Wilder is right? Give me a damn break.
      What's this none sense about us in the UK not knowing who Wilder is, it's a load of rubbish mate. If there is one heavyweight which they know off outside the UK it's Wilder. Furthermore, Matchroom sold AJ v Charles Martin on PPV ffs !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pan-Africanist View Post
        That’s their job is your excuse? So nobody over there in Britain is reading the British press then since nobody knows who Wilder is right? Give me a damn break.
        I don't think I can simplify it any further. He's just not well known outside of the most engaged fans. Maybe it's related to the quality of opposition he's faced?

Comment

Originally posted by Holler View Post
          Of course they do, it's their job to.

You're alleging however that British Joshua fans are terrified of Wilder and I'm saying most of them don't know wtf he is. They know Fury, they knew Klitschko, but Wilder's profile at present here is not in that league.

It's cheap programming for them I suspect, given the timezone and the current awarness, but there was next to no promotion for his last fight. A pity as I enjoyed the undercard even if Wilder Stiverne didn't end so abruptly.

Of course, but, as above, AJ's doing very nicely without that recognition. The difference is that the US is Wilder's home market and he can't deliver that. AJ delivers his home market.

As a fan of boxing, sure, I'd like to see them fight. I don't see AJ as the main obstacle however, especially with Wilder demanding 50% of a pie he's done little to create.

I don't think AJ will be fighting Brezeale or Whyte though. He's shown he wants to keep on improving the standard of his opposition. He's risked more, sooner than Wilder and he's reaping the rewards for that.

Parker, maybe a mandatory against Povetkin or Pulev unless Wilder changes his tune will all be interesting fights for me, because there's still a rawness to Joshua due to his relative inexperience. Fury on the horizon could be the biggest of the lot. That wouldn't be treading water, although Hearn may throw a domestic crowd pleaser into that schedule to keep the cash registers ringing and keep AJ in shape at low risk. In which case, yes, Wilder would be a better bout. But he's overstating his importance at present. He's done little to merit some of the hype from his own and other quarters and he's not the only show in town.
          I kinda think he is the only plausible BIG fight for 2018 though, I can’t see Fury-Joshua happening in 2018 and I don’t think the Haye fight is that plausible with the level Haye is at now. If Fury was active and Haye was anywhere near his prime, I’d completely agree with you but I don’t see them fights happening, Parker is the only other interesting fight IMO purely on the basis that it’s a unification. Although I think both AJ and Wilder beat him handily.
          Wilder is over-estimating his worth, but Hearn is under-estimating it. Hopefully they can meet somewhere in the middle, cause I have no desire to watch them in meaningless fights vs Pulev/Brezeale when they could just fight one another in a super fight for loads more £££$$$

Comment

Originally posted by Holler View Post
            You're underestimating the effectiveness of the brand building job achieved by Matchroom and Team Joshua.

Presuming he takes care of Parker AJ can leave a flat cash offer on the table to Wilder and then make serious money fighting a combination of suitably hyped mandatory defences and perhaps some manufactured domestic clashes, Whyte 2 say or Haye if he shows well against Bellew. In the distance could be Fury who on this side of the Atlantic would make a much more lucrative opponent. That's 2 years or more of big earning supplemented by extensive extra ring income from the growing list of endorsements AJ is landing.

In the meantime Wilder is getting older, risking his belt for 1.5m a time and seemingly failing to cut through to an increasingly jaded US audience who don't seem to have taken him to their hearts.

There's a big imbalance between the two. As you say, Wilder needs AJ for a big payday, but whilst AJ wants the belt, undisputed title and greater US exposure, he has a pretty good pathway carved out should that option not deliver him what he thinks he's worth. So Deontay has some thinking to do...

I think Eddie Hearn owes me a consultancy check...

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger1 View Post
              For those not old enough to remember, the Anthony Joshua-Deontay Wilder situation isn't without precedent. Floyd before he was "Money" was an emerging PPV star and considered P4P the best. Oscar was the biggest name in boxing after Roy wasn't Roy anymore and Tyson had retired.

So this is how the negotiations went down, which was detailed in this article.

Terms were not disclosed, but both sides said that the fighters will make career-high purses. In De La Hoya's case, that means more than $25 million. For Mayweather, it means at least $10 million. Both will probably earn much more than that if the pay-per-view is a hit.

"We are just glad we were able to come to the agreement," Ellerbe said. "Oscar is a great businessman, him and Richard both. The negotiations were smooth. We didn't have any problems. This is about giving the fans what they want. And it's about Floyd's legacy in the sport. Floyd wants to go down as the best ever and Oscar is the biggest name in the sport."

There you have it, even though the gap commercially between Floyd and Oscar was much smaller than Deontay and AJ, Floyd took 28% of the guaranteed money. IF Wilder is what he says he is, then, like Floyd he would take AJ's terms to prove himself.

But as AJ said this guy is just a belt seller. There is nothing wrong with that except lying about it and saying you're something you're not.
              All facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger1 View Post
                There you have it, even though the gap commercially between Floyd and Oscar was much smaller than Deontay and AJ, Floyd took 28% of the guaranteed money.
                Your numbers are wrong. Floyd earned 33%, not 28%.

Comment

Working...
                X