No announcement yet.

Fight Poster: Clay or Ali

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fight Poster: Clay or Ali

I am sharing this because I thought it interesting. Even as late as 1975 the name 'Clay' was getting a larger font than 'Ali' -- The man still couldn't 'get no respect.' -- It is hard to imagine (actually impossible) that by 1975 people wouldn't have recognized the name 'Ali.' So what could have been their motive? Why were they still posting the name 'Clay' ? -- At first glance that is a Clay-Frazier fight poster, not Ali-Frazier. -- I sometimes feel we are a petty culture.

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
    I am sharing this because I thought it interesting. Even as late as 1975 the name 'Clay' was getting a larger font than 'Ali' -- The man still couldn't 'get no respect.' -- It is hard to imagine (actually impossible) that by 1975 people wouldn't have recognized the name 'Ali.' So what could have been their motive? Why were they still posting the name 'Clay' ? -- At first glance that is a Clay-Frazier fight poster, not Ali-Frazier. -- I sometimes feel we are a petty culture.

At least they even mentioned Ali.

I guess the promoters figured Ali's fans would come regardless, but they wanted those who felt some type of way about him being with the NOI to hopefully still support it if they mentioned him as Clay....? Or at least come in hopes of seeing him lose. That's the best case scenario I could think of.

The worst case scenario is just to mess with Ali, as you seem to hint at.

Either way, agree with you, though. Pretty petty.

Reminded me of the classic "Coming to America" barbershop scene. "His momma called him Clay...Imma call him Clay."

Comment

Whats up with Big Al's Big Bush Grill?

"You Kill Em, We Grill Em".

Was that some Manilla food joint where you bring in a dead whatever the f#ck you shot & they cook it for you? Wonder how much of a bargain that was vs a regular restaurant?

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post

Don King promoted that fight and I have little doubt okayed the fight poster. He was a notorious racial manipulator and probably thought he could pocket a few more dollars by taking this angle whether people tuned in to hate on or love Ali.

Comment

Johnny Cougar became John Cougar Mellencamp before eventually using his real name, John Mellencamp.

Comment

Originally posted by RickLinus View Post
            Johnny Cougar became John Cougar Mellencamp before eventually using his real name, John Mellencamp.
            Sean Combs became Puff who became Puff Daddy who became P. Diddy who became Diddy & who finally (for now) became Love.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              Don King promoted that fight and I have little doubt okayed the fight poster. He was a notorious racial manipulator and probably thought he could pocket a few more dollars by taking this angle whether people tuned in to hate on or love Ali.
              I think you hit the nail on the head.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                Sean Combs became Puff who became Puff Daddy who became P. Diddy who became Diddy & who finally (for now) became Love.
                Didn't Brother Love threaten a lawsuit?

Comment

Working...
                X