Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are fighters from the past glorified so much?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are fighters from the past glorified so much?

In all the mythical match ups, or discussions, the modern day fighters are pretty much always considered not a patch on the fighters they are compared to. You then examine there record and theyve lost/gone the distance with absoltue bums yet the top fighters from modern era have no chance against them. For example, recent discussions ive seen are with julian jackson v ggg in terms of power, jackson didnt knock out a guy with a 9-16 record, yet thats okay, imagine if GGG now fought and went distance with someone like that? Another one is toney v GGG, toney struggled against tibieri and lost to thadzi (28-8) yet GGG has no chance against him. This isnt a GGG discussion and the purpose of the thread isnt to debate them particular examples, but they are most recent ive seen.
    why is it that fighters from past eras are viewed to be so indestructible, and losses can be brushed aside, yet if someone from this era struggles or loses they get absolutely slaughtered?

Nostalgia. Everything looks better when you look back on it. Like people complaining about how bad music sucks today and how it was better when they were younger. There has always been horrible music. Also these people running around saying make america great again. Ask them when was America great and they'll say when they were kids. All age groups. So when they say it was great when they were a child you're talking about people in there 20's saying America was great in the 00's. People in their 30's saying America was great in the 90's People in their 40's saying America was great in the 80's. Selective memory is nostalgia.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
      In all the mythical match ups, or discussions, the modern day fighters are pretty much always considered not a patch on the fighters they are compared to. You then examine there record and theyve lost/gone the distance with absoltue bums yet the top fighters from modern era have no chance against them. For example, recent discussions ive seen are with julian jackson v ggg in terms of power, jackson didnt knock out a guy with a 9-16 record, yet thats okay, imagine if GGG now fought and went distance with someone like that? Another one is toney v GGG, toney struggled against tibieri and lost to thadzi (28-8) yet GGG has no chance against him. This isnt a GGG discussion and the purpose of the thread isnt to debate them particular examples, but they are most recent ive seen.
      why is it that fighters from past eras are viewed to be so indestructible, and losses can be brushed aside, yet if someone from this era struggles or loses they get absolutely slaughtered?
      Good Post & question. I feel fighters of the past are held at a higher standard because the ones we have to day (not all), are more protected & are allowed to cherry pick to some extent. I mean nowadays you measure someone by their entire record, which is silly. example someone mentioned before that Sugar Ray Leonard got beat by Camacho (a former jr Featherwgt) people failed to realize a lot of the greats did get beat but that was after they were already retired , as was the case with Leonard in this fight same as tyson last two loses. Fighters areheld to a higher standard if they were never beaten. If we take into account that if said fighter decides to take less & measured risk, of course they'll remain undefeated. As i stated many of times example Michael Spinks could've retired Undefeated after he beat Holmes for the Heavywgt title. But he decided to challenge himself & fought Mike Tyson & the rest is history. All in all that was his only lost! Is things like that ....

Comment

It's simple. Because they have dark skin.

The sport is being taken over by euros. They just can't fathom it. The reality is the talent pool for boxing is bigger than ever before. The boxers today are far more advanced than the fighters of the past. This is true in every sport on a measurable scale like the Olympics. Do records from 40 yrs ago still stand? This is just a fact of athletics except to some people who have insecurity issues about their race

Comment

Man look GGG has not proven himself against elite comp so why would people pick him against fighters who have???

Comment

Originally posted by HeadShots View Post

The sport is being taken over by euros. They just can't fathom it. The reality is the talent pool for boxing is bigger than ever before. The boxers today are far more advanced than the fighters of the past. This is true in every sport on a measurable scale like the Olympics. Do records from 40 yrs ago still stand? This is just a fact of athletics except to some people who have insecurity issues about their race
            Has 0 to do with skin color....it is about risks and challenges..hell Mayweather JUST retired and the same fans who slam him hang on to GGG's nuts while Floyd has done 100 times more then him...Explain that one please...

Comment

Originally posted by HeadShots View Post

Dude...you are the only one thinking about race. I like the fact that the Euros are doing so well in boxing, it's good for the sport. I don't care about that. You seemed very bitter & insecure. Why go there?

Comment

For every "glorified" fighter, you have a couple from the past who are overlooked. I mostly watch modern boxing with a few classics here and there but I think it's foolish to think all the talent happens to exist right now. People try to validate their generation by thinking things are better now. It's not always the case and there were a lot of incredible boxers in the past that are dismissed by those who only watch boxing from the last 10 years. I'm frequently discovering past talents that I never new about.

Comment

I don't know and it drives me crazy. I am an old guy and a very long time boxing fan. The old timers get better in the minds of many fans with every passing year. I saw them fight in their primes and many boxers who weren't that good in my opinion get better and better as the years go by in the minds of lots of fans. Some of the past fighters really were great without a doubt. Others weren't as good as many think they were. They only remember those boxer's best fights and forget about when they got beat and didn't look so good.

Comment

Originally posted by don larryx View Post
                    Man look GGG has not proven himself against elite comp so why would people pick him against fighters who have???
                    nah man them ggg examples were just the first examples that came to hand. You must know as a floyd fan, people would always bring up past examples and say mayweathers resume is **** in comparison to past greats despite being 49-0. Yet in 10/20 years i bet he will be thought of much higher than he is now.

Comment

Working...
                    X