Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is GGG best at 160? Or he is yet to beat Martinez and Barker?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Sergio fights next a complete unknown and shows no real will to fight GGG. He shouldn´t be considered as the top MW.

Comment

Until he beats Sergio he's just another talented contender

Comment

There is no way anyone can credibly make a case for GGG being the best MW right now. SInce when is "beating Macklin better" the sole criteria for ranking MW's?

Comment

I'm on the same tune as pretty much everyone else. He gotta beat Sergio to be numero uno

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
            There is no way anyone can credibly make a case for GGG being the best MW right now. SInce when is "beating Macklin better" the sole criteria for ranking MW's?
            You are correct that Sergio has the better resumé. If the question was who should have the higher ranking, I'd certainly say Martinez is no.1. But the question was who was the best and that means that ones perception of the fighters worth comes into the picture, and I would not hesitate to put my money on GGG in a matchup against Martinez (or any other MW for that matter).

Comment

He may well be the best H2H MW, but to cement it he really needs to fight Maravilla. I think the consensus (but not by a large majority) is that he beats 2014 Maravilla, but he still has to actually do it.

The only others I'd say are perhaps in the running are Kid C and possibly Murray - who came within sniffin' range of being the lineal himself. Other than that who else is there at MW who could credibly claim to be a stiffer test than Macklin?

I really hope that HBO are prepared to throw enough $s at the fight to get Gennady the Lineal shot, 'cos there really isn't another fighter at the moment who is more eligable. And if Maravilla bows out at 154, say, then the 12 year old Hopkins lineage goes with him.

Barker? Really?
              Last edited by Citizen Koba; 10-01-2013, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                You are correct that Sergio has the better resumé. If the question was who should have the higher ranking, I'd certainly say Martinez is no.1. But the question was who was the best and that means that ones perception of the fighters worth comes into the picture, and I would not hesitate to put my money on GGG in a matchup against Martinez (or any other MW for that matter).
                But posters perceptions are driven by any number of variables some legitimate, some utterly ridiculous (like I think GGG can KO floyd but Sergio can't so GGG is better and deserves floyd fight).

If you take GGG over Sergio, thats fine. Using this logic, one could take Povetkin to beat Wlad and therfore argue wlad isn't the best HWT. I think you would question applying that logic in the HWT division as much as I question it in the MW division.

Bat lets just be clear-the posters that say GGG is the best MW do so in large part because

1. they think Sergio and floyd may fight and floyd might win and
                2. they think GGG has the best punchers chance to KO floyd

Respecfully, those are not valid reasons for posting GGG is the best MW, especially when in EVERY other weight class the same posters argue resume and wins.

Comment

But posters perceptions are driven by any number of variables some legitimate, some utterly ridiculous (like I think GGG can KO floyd but Sergio can't so GGG is better and deserves floyd fight).

If you take GGG over Sergio, thats fine. Using this logic, one could take Povetkin to beat Wlad and therfore argue wlad isn't the best HWT. I think you would question applying that logic in the HWT division as much as I question it in the MW division.

Bat lets just be clear-the posters that say GGG is the best MW do so in large part because

1. they think Sergio and floyd may fight and floyd might win and
                  2. they think GGG has the best punchers chance to KO floyd

Respecfully, those are not valid reasons for posting GGG is the best MW, especially when in EVERY other weight class the same posters argue resume and wins.
                  I cannot say if other posters think Floyd before posting about other fighters. I know for a fact that I did not and I do not.

Sometimes you floydstans need to look at the world around you. There's other things than Floyd in life and whenever you see a post from a random poster it's not automatically some negative spin on Mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                    I cannot say if other posters think Floyd before posting about other fighters. I know for a fact that I did not and I do not.

Sometimes you floydstans need to look at the world around you. There's other things than Floyd in life and whenever you see a post from a random poster it's not automatically some negative spin on Mayweather.
                    I agree with you, but on this one just be honest. GGG took off on NSB at the point he discussed going to 154 for floyd. SO why everything doesn't revolve around floyd its pretty clear part of the reason GGG has taken off on NSB is non floyd fans attachment to him as a someone who can make their dreams come true.

Maybe you are just a GGG fan based solely on his body of work, but I think even you've noticed the above.

Comment

I agree with you, but on this one just be honest. GGG took off on NSB at the point he discussed going to 154 for floyd. SO why everything doesn't revolve around floyd its pretty clear part of the reason GGG has taken off on NSB is non floyd fans attachment to him as a someone who can make their dreams come true.

Maybe you are just a GGG fan based solely on his body of work, but I think even you've noticed the above.
                      No. It's just you only started noticing GGG when this silliness about GGG -FMJ started being touted. GGG's been a big topic for a year now for folk who don't think that 154 is the highest weight class in the sport.

How and why you brought Floyd into a discussion about 160lbers is beyond me.

Most GGG fans have no real interest in an FMJ fight and see his obvious career path as moving up to 168. And everyone knows that there is basically no chance of said fight ever happening.
                      Last edited by Citizen Koba; 10-01-2013, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X