Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I saw a striking film I'd like you guys to take a look at: Irreversible (2002)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I saw a striking film I'd like you guys to take a look at: Irreversible (2002)

Don't wikipedia it, as it'll tell you too much of the plot. Just get a copy "on DVD from Amazon" (wink, wink) and take a look.

First of all, it's a French film, so you will need subtitles, though the dialogue is very brusque and confrontational, so it's not like you need to really understand much more than "I kill you, Monsieur."

I was first compelled to watch this film after I came across an article that said the first 20 minutes or so use low-level sound in the mix to disorientate the viewer and make them feel nauseous/tense. I believe it might only be noise you can hear subconsciously... there were reports of people walking out of screenings.

If you watch the film, you'll have to bear with it, as the first 20 minutes have deliberately distorted camerawork that eventually settles down. There is a plot conceit that makes the film original, but I can't say what it is, or it'll spoil it too much. You'll find out if you watch it.

Fundamentally, it's an art house movie, but the content is so visceral that it crosses over into a mainstream work. As a word of caution, then the content is NOT for family audiences, as it contains graphic violence, including sexual violence.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

Comment

Yeah... I read up on the making, and they use CGI to help those illusions along, don't they? Very clever.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
        Yeah... I read up on the making, and they use CGI to help those illusions along, don't they? Very clever.
        Make a Rousey thread already. It is in high demand. Work your magic.

Comment

Done !

Comment

I saw this some time ago...thought is was pure crap. The only redeeming aspect of the film was the rape scene which was the best one I've ever seen.

Comment

You didn't like the reverse narrative, and the way the consequences of one action played o the other?

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
                You didn't like the reverse narrative, and the way the consequences of one action played o the other?
                No...I just like when the guy beat the piss out of her and raped her brutally.
                Last edited by jaded; 11-17-2015, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Vincent Cassel is in it. I like him.

Have you seen A Serbian Film? I hear it's a good popcorn flick.

Comment

I'd have to rate even lower than "Last Tango in Paris"...utter garbage except for the scene where Brando rapes Maria Schneider's ass with the butter.

Comment

Working...
                    X