No announcement yet.

In-House Fight Night - Dec 7th

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WonderMonkey View Post
    Tomorrow's (Thursday) focus will be breathing and backing away to regain breath. I tend to stay in and engage beyond my fitness and ability to recover so I need to work on it. In theory, I should be able to spar more rounds if I don't expend my energy and wind needlessly.
    It's training, work on what you need to improve. Stay in there and mix it up a bit, build your endurance. If that's how you're tempted to fight in the gym why would it not be the same on fight night. Get some experience fighting in close. Train as you want to fight because you will fight exactly as you've trained...…...Rockin'
    Last edited by Rockin'; 10-10-2018, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
      It's training, work on what you need to improve. Stay in there and mix it up a bit, build your endurance. If that's how you're tempted to fight in the gym why would it not be the same on fight night. Get some experience fighting in close. Train as you want to fight because you will fight exactly as you've trained...…...Rockin'
      It MAY be the same on fight night to get through three rounds. All because of this calf/leg issue. I have to learn how to fight smartly. I have no difficulties standing in there and mixing it up but I DO have difficulties increasing my conditioning. Too much at once in a short period of time and my leg/calf is provoked and I have to shut it down or back way off, which takes me backward.

I'm not going to go "slow and steady" but I will fight in bursts and then recover, do it again, etc. I will get to a certain number of rounds then work towards having to recover less.

Unfortunately, it's the way it is. I consult and rely on the boxing coach and the martial arts guy (two different people) on how to get to and through this fight given those limitations and this is what we are doing.

However, I do appreciate your thoughts and advice. Normally I would want to do as you suggest.

Comment

Calf/leg was a bit provoked due to a backpack camping outing. The hike to camp was hilly. Good work but my leg didn't enjoy it.

Today I did 6 two-minute rounds on a set of heavy bags. The facility I use has a bunch of them in two rows. Most are typical fitness heavy bags but one is a torso bag, another one of those water bags, another a cylinder held horizontal, and yet another that is much much heavier than the others. After a warmup and a bit of shadow boxing, I put my timer on and when the "round" started I did my best to replicate the feeling of sparring and "fought" a bag then turned and engaged the next one. I went down the row which had the different bags and back and finished strong on the last one and that was right at two minutes. Since my fight will be three rounds, I wanted to double that. Eventually, I'll work to triple that and then go towards making each round more intense. I did five two-minute rounds then two more 1-minute rounds with those last two-minute rounds being more up-tempo.

I know the above doesn't replicate sparring, but I'm doing the best I can to ride the line of increasing conditioning and not provoking my calf/leg.

If my calf/leg feels decent I'll up the volume, then increase the intensity.

Comment

Fight Camp is taking yesterday and this Wednesday to nail down pairings for the event. Was matched last night with two different people and will probably get matched with a few others on Wednesday.

One person I matched with is a large younger guy. Not sure of weight but he's about 6'1". Very strong with a bunch of mass but not very skilled at all. Because he (and mom) JUST walked into the gym two months ago trying to change their lives, he's still very far behind in his conditioning. Last night was his first every sparring and I fought just hard enough to make sure he was taken as far as he could go. As I watch everybody I realize there is NOBODY for him to fight. EVERYBODY would destroy him. After the session I talked to the coaches and volunteered to fight him on the night of the event. I'd give him some shots for sure but I'd let him beat on me a bit. I also volunteered to do two fights if they paired me against someone that I didn't have to chase a bunch, or do a tremendous amount of movement. I'd fight the first guy then take a few fights rest, then fight the guy who would get destroyed.

I'm still working on my conditioning and am going to barely scrape by on the night of the event, but there is one guy who does well but is less mobile than I am. Both would move a bit but not like I'd do if I fought one of the more experienced guys.

Comment

Originally posted by WonderMonkey View Post
            Fight Camp is taking yesterday and this Wednesday to nail down pairings for the event. Was matched last night with two different people and will probably get matched with a few others on Wednesday.

One person I matched with is a large younger guy. Not sure of weight but he's about 6'1". Very strong with a bunch of mass but not very skilled at all. Because he (and mom) JUST walked into the gym two months ago trying to change their lives, he's still very far behind in his conditioning. Last night was his first every sparring and I fought just hard enough to make sure he was taken as far as he could go. As I watch everybody I realize there is NOBODY for him to fight. EVERYBODY would destroy him. After the session I talked to the coaches and volunteered to fight him on the night of the event. I'd give him some shots for sure but I'd let him beat on me a bit. I also volunteered to do two fights if they paired me against someone that I didn't have to chase a bunch, or do a tremendous amount of movement. I'd fight the first guy then take a few fights rest, then fight the guy who would get destroyed.

I'm still working on my conditioning and am going to barely scrape by on the night of the event, but there is one guy who does well but is less mobile than I am. Both would move a bit but not like I'd do if I fought one of the more experienced guys.
            Why would you ever just let a guy hit you. It might not show now, the damage, and it might not show later, but there is a chance that it could. I would never let a guy hit me just to make him feel good. Have you ever heard of chronic traumatic encephalopathy or CTE? I'd look in to it before just letting some fat, slow pudge hit me in the head...…..?Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
              Why would you ever just let a guy hit you. It might not show now, the damage, and it might not show later, but there is a chance that it could. I would never let a guy hit me just to make him feel good. Have you ever heard of chronic traumatic encephalopathy or CTE? I'd look in to it before just letting some fat, slow pudge hit me in the head...…..?Rockin'
              I'm not going to let him hit me in the head.

Comment

Worked footwork tonight. Learned a new footwook drill to add to my daily work.

Comment

Fight Night matchups are set. I'm going pure exhibition for the kid there is no matchup for. I'll box him and heavily defend to prevent head shots. I'll keep him honest and make him pay for his mistakes, but I won't beat him up.

Comment

Sparred a taller, stronger, faster and more experienced person last night. I felt completely overwhelmed. The only success I felt I had is when I got sloppy and got lucky. He beat me to punches, nullified movement, etc.

Very humbling. On the positive side, it is what SHOULD have happened, but that is only a small prize to me. I enjoyed the experience but not the feeling of being overwhelmed.

Comment

My Fight Night opponent has changed. The person I was going to basically exhibition against isn't putting in the work so they put him on the side. I find out later tonight who my new opponent is.

Comment

Working...
                      X