Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Danny Garcia Disputes Bob Arum's Assertion He's Not Elite

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you lose to Shawn Porter then you are not elite.

Comment

Originally posted by iamboxing View Post
      Danny has a lot of class:

That's how you argue.
      Khan was somebody. Garcia was brought in as the B-Side and was the underdog there.

Matthysse was somebody. I don’t know who the odds favorite was here, but certainly this was a big time highly anticipated matchup at the time and was ver competitive.

Peterson was somebody. I thought Garcia lost here, but Peterson was a good name and at the time Garcia fight him I’d rank him higher than anyone Crawford fought up to this point. And while I am high on Crawford (flew to Omaha and went to his last fight), I can’t argue with Garcia’s logic. The eye test, even titles, can only give you so much credibility. Resume is the true indicator, and Garcia has an elite resume.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCell8 View Post
        The thing is, Crawford hasnt looked pedestrian against b level guys either. Danny damn near lost to Herrera and Peterson, two fighters that Crawford would destroy.
        HE actually lost to Herrera and Peterson

Comment

Originally posted by JLC View Post
          Khan was somebody. Garcia was brought in as the B-Side and was the underdog there.

Matthysse was somebody. I don’t know who the odds favorite was here, but certainly this was a big time highly anticipated matchup at the time and was ver competitive.

Peterson was somebody. I thought Garcia lost here, but Peterson was a good name and at the time Garcia fight him I’d rank him higher than anyone Crawford fought up to this point. And while I am high on Crawford (flew to Omaha and went to his last fight), I can’t argue with Garcia’s logic. The eye test, even titles, can only give you so much credibility. Resume is the true indicator, and Garcia has an elite resume.
          Beating any or all three of those fighters does not make you elite. I guess there is this grey area between second tier/B-rate and elite, that a lot of very good fighters fall into for one reason or another. Whether it's timing, poor management, ducking, or just falling short on skill/ability versus the elite. For some reason Danny is just a hair shy of being an elite fighter.

That said, there are several interesting fights for Garcia that would still be lucrative--Brook, Broner, Mikey, Vargas, Horn, Berto. He had a chance to fight Pac a few years ago but turned down a career high $4M offer. He doesn't appear to be in any hurry to fight Spence or Crawford either. I don't think he ever mentioned Mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by T.M.T View Post
            swift is a top level fighter but its mighty funny that he's doing a lot of talking now that Spence and Mikey is preetty much signed and sealed.
            Funny thing is that Danny could probably get himself a title shot vs Bud next if he really pushed for it imo.

Comment

Garcia made millions fighting no-hopers, paid to avoid Postal and continually tells the world who he doesn't need to fight.

Danny is a businessman that leveraged limited talent into money. Keith Thurman and Porter both embarrassed and eventually dragged an unwilling Garcia into the ring.

The elites are Crawford, Spence and..also Thurman....whom I believe (at his best) is the only WW with the athletic ability and style to wreak havoc for both.

Comment

If he dismisses Thurman, Porter, and Garcia, then his welterweights, bar crawford, must be dog**** in his eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Afi23 View Post
                  Funny thing is that Danny could probably get himself a title shot vs Bud next if he really pushed for it imo.
                  That is what they call a fact...well put.

Comment

Originally posted by JLC View Post

Mattyhsse was favored against Danny as well. Only like 1 out of like 30 analysts picked danny to win. the rest picked Lucas by KO.

Comment

Originally posted by mxtali View Post
                      If he dismisses Thurman, Porter, and Garcia, then his welterweights, bar crawford, must be dog**** in his eyes.
                      For the sake of clarity,Crawford beats Porter and easily makes Garcia look pedestrian. That said, I'll be the first to admit that a prime Thurman is a problem, for everyone and that includes Spence and Crawford.

Comment

Working...
                      X