No announcement yet.

if lampley and merchant were racist during hbo telecasts show proof

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
    Well prove it, wheres the broadcast evidence for that?
    Of what Merchant trying to compare a Gatti fight to Pride & Prejudice to seem like a low rent Norman Mailer? Go watch his post fight breakdowns. He did that lame sh^t all the time, eventually every card for a stretch during his "prime" on HBO.

Or of him finding reasons, more often then not, to like the non-black fighter &/or dislike the black fighter? Again go watch the fights he called. I'm not saying this was an every time thing, but there seemed a very agenda-ish picking of who Merchant would favor & often times that seemed to take a racial-ish lean.

These things were both common themes with Merchant that I felt were part of Merchant's persona & among the reasons I never liked Merchant all that much. In fact if you look at the easiest sh^t to notice with Merchant you'll see two of the best most dominate fighters HBO had during their best days & who Merchant took issue with were Floyd Mayweather & Mike Tyson, black fighters who I believe Merchant helped drive away from HBO with his weirdly aggressive interviewing of those guys post fight. I don't understand in general why these Merchant & Grey (in fairness to Grey he's calmed down a lot since when I first got to know how he operated back in the day) types like to ask so many inflammatory questions after a fight when a mfer just got punched in the head for 36 or less minutes.

I've never seen Merchant cheer lead for a fighter like he did Whitaker...who is black btw. I've rarely seen him be as complimentary as he was for Holyfield.
    And I specifically mentioned this wasn't a 100% thing so I don't know why you are talking about this like I didn't say he found black fighters he liked.

This is exactly what I said in the post you quoted.
    "He'd switch things up here & there by really liking a black fighter, but it was a rare occurrence as I recall it."

Theb ig issue with a lot of people on this forum is that he said a few home truths about a certain someone....
    Whats a home truth? And who are you talking about Tyson or Floyd cuz they sh^t on both guys to a weird degree as I saw it?

And idk that it should be his job to do anything except hype their product, boxers & fights. To me it was always the weirdest thing HBO would sh^t on their own fights as much as they did. I mean why are you showing x fight if you are just gonna tell me how sh^tty this fight is???? LMFAO.

It was so counterproductive to what they should've been doing & I feel like that coulda been one of the things that turned people off with the HBO Boxing product over the years cuz who the f#ck wants to be told they are watching sh^t as much as HBO Boxing would tell you that?

Either don't show me the fight you are saying is such bs or hype the product & enjoy the fight like I as a boxing fan am attempting to do every time a fight is on. My goal isn't to find a reason to hate a fight like HBO so often tried to spin things into being. I'm trying to find a thing to enjoy or appreciate about a fight even if the fight isn't the most competitive or compelling of a fight.

That said I've always been more of a Sean O'Grady, Al Bernstein type announcing fan who were guys who would look at the positives & try to find interesting components to fights or fighters progress unlike the HBO prime years team of the combo of guys who would try to find reasons to dislike boxing with Jim & Larry.

I've theorized before I thought that its possible HBO steered fans towards hating Tyson & Mayweather to make them bad guys which they knew could drive audiences to tune in to watch them lose it was so obvious & over the top at times. Cuz I don't think there has ever been an entity in boxing that drove the narrative so well as HBO Boxing did so maybe the Merchant hate & interviewing aggression towards those two specifically was pre-planned.

Idk that seems a bit contrived even to me who has made up & consider the theory possible, but who knows. Regardless for sure Tyson & Mayweather were among the top two guys fans watched to wanna see lose since I've been watching boxing & I can't help but think some of that was due to how heavily HBO, often via Merchant, pushed the hater agenda with those two.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      Of what Merchant trying to compare a Gatti fight to Pride & Prejudice to seem like a low rent Norman Mailer? Go watch his post fight breakdowns. He did that lame sh^t all the time, eventually every card for a stretch during his "prime" on HBO.

Or of him finding reasons, more often then not, to like the non-black fighter &/or dislike the black fighter? Again go watch the fights he called. I'm not saying this was an every time thing, but there seemed a very agenda-ish picking of who Merchant would favor & often times that seemed to take a racial-ish lean.

These things were both common themes with Merchant that I felt were part of Merchant's persona & among the reasons I never liked Merchant all that much. In fact if you look at the easiest sh^t to notice with Merchant you'll see two of the best most dominate fighters HBO had during their best days & who Merchant took issue with were Floyd Mayweather & Mike Tyson, black fighters who I believe Merchant helped drive away from HBO with his weirdly aggressive interviewing of those guys post fight. I don't understand in general why these Merchant & Grey (in fairness to Grey he's calmed down a lot since when I first got to know how he operated back in the day) types like to ask so many inflammatory questions after a fight when a mfer just got punched in the head for 36 or less minutes.

And I specifically mentioned this wasn't a 100% thing so I don't know why you are talking about this like I didn't say he found black fighters he liked.

This is exactly what I said in the post you quoted.
      "He'd switch things up here & there by really liking a black fighter, but it was a rare occurrence as I recall it."

Whats a home truth? And who are you talking about Tyson or Floyd cuz they sh^t on both guys to a weird degree as I saw it?

And idk that it should be his job to do anything except hype their product, boxers & fights. To me it was always the weirdest thing HBO would sh^t on their own fights as much as they did. I mean why are you showing x fight if you are just gonna tell me how sh^tty this fight is???? LMFAO.

It was so counterproductive to what they should've been doing & I feel like that coulda been one of the things that turned people off with the HBO Boxing product over the years cuz who the f#ck wants to be told they are watching sh^t as much as HBO Boxing would tell you that?

Either don't show me the fight you are saying is such bs or hype the product & enjoy the fight like I as a boxing fan am attempting to do every time a fight is on. My goal isn't to find a reason to hate a fight like HBO so often tried to spin things into being. I'm trying to find a thing to enjoy or appreciate about a fight even if the fight isn't the most competitive or compelling of a fight.

That said I've always been more of a Sean O'Grady, Al Bernstein type announcing fan who were guys who would look at the positives & try to find interesting components to fights or fighters progress unlike the HBO prime years team of the combo of guys who would try to find reasons to dislike boxing with Jim & Larry.

I've theorized before I thought that its possible HBO steered fans towards hating Tyson & Mayweather to make them bad guys which they knew could drive audiences to tune in to watch them lose it was so obvious & over the top at times. Cuz I don't think there has ever been an entity in boxing that drove the narrative so well as HBO Boxing did so maybe the Merchant hate & interviewing aggression towards those two specifically was pre-planned.

Idk that seems a bit contrived even to me who has made up & consider the theory possible, but who knows. Regardless for sure Tyson & Mayweather were among the top two guys fans watched to wanna see lose since I've been watching boxing & I can't help but think some of that was due to how heavily HBO, often via Merchant, pushed the hater agenda with those two.
      You're becoming more and more irrational as a poster. As the thread states, prove it with video evidence.

I hear all these complaints but merchant loved Floyd when he fought better opposition. Stop complaining just cos ur a fan boy. B

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
        You're becoming more and more irrational as a poster. As the thread states, prove it with video evidence.
        What did I say that was irrational?

I don't like Merchant. I'm not digging through his bs to find sh^t most agree he did. He was a fake ass Norman Mailer with some weirdo agenda with some of their best fighters, namely Floyd & Tyson. I never said Merchant was racist if you can read. I said he steered towards non-black fighters & against black fighters more than I've ever noticed in any other commentator.

I hear all these complaints but merchant loved Floyd when he fought better opposition. Stop complaining just cos ur a fan boy. B
        What are you talking about? Who's complaining? Whats fanboy-ish that I said?

I'm telling you how I saw it. I gave my stance good & bad towards HBO & Merchant. Not that I had a lot of good sh^t to say about Merchant cuz like I said I've never been impressed with him & I despise his interview style & disrespect towards fighters in the immediate aftermath of getting hit in the f#cking head.

He seemed much better & reasonable when I've watched his takes in older fights (which I've been watching more of as of late) then when I started watching HBO boxing later on. And like I said comparing every fight to a book was just weird & annoying in some attempt to make him seem smarter or more cultured then he was.

And this narrative Floyd cherry picked later is ******ed & tired & the definition of haterism. He fought top 5 guys from Oscar til Pacquiao I think. His opponents at 140 & lower were far less accomplished. And his 147 run is like an 8 year run of fighting top 5 guys in his division. I don't think I've seen anyone else do that in boxing ever. Feel free to name all the guys who fought top 5 guys at his weight for almost a decade? I'll wait. Some of you mfers got such hate towards a guy you think in some irrational girl-like way on emotion instead of facts.

Comment

merchant didnt like the way mayweather acted so people said he must be racist thats the only explanation

Comment

Working...
          X