No announcement yet.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by big.daddy.allan View Post
    My friend was diagnosed with depression a few years ago. At first she was on meds but slowly got off them by doing simple therapeutic activites...one of them is communicating, which is what you're doing now so that's a step forward. The second thing she started doing was training in Muay Thai and going to the gym regulary. That really helped deal with her lack of self confidence, gave her an outlet, got endorphins going and something positive to focus on. After a couple years, she was off the meds and now is a kick ass Muay Thai practioner and actually assists in training the athletes that come into the gym.

I'm sure it isn't easy as you're in a space that some of us can't relate to, however stay positive, train your ass off and keep fighting the negativity and anxiety...end of the day, if there is something combat sports teaches us, it is to keep fighting and don't quit. You got this man...go train!
    Firstly thank you for taking the time to comment I appreciate it a hell of a lot as you mentioned the communication is massive for me.

I know to the average joe who would look at a online forum and feel no point of a strangers opinions and help on there situation. Whereas myself I dont have many if any real social interactions I tend to value online support alot more than some people would.

The exercise another thing I've increased although in the comfort of indoors im still working on getting out there its a monetary issue as well as anxiety at the moment but as with most things in life its not easy but thinking of doing instead of worrying about doing is definitely a step in the right direction. I have also decreased my pychotic meds and looked into mindfulness and cbt therapy.
    Thanks again for the positive input have a great day man.

Comment

Originally posted by TyrantT316 View Post
      I won't pretend to be a doctor, so I am not sure I can give advice on the medical front. However two things. One is that my faith in Jesus helps me through a lot and I have seen many others overcome a lot of things (addictions, depression, etc.). Just consider it.

On the age side. You're still young. I am 34 and boy would I love to be what I was at 24. So I don't think age is your issue. You already have some boxing experience, so it's not like your 30 years old and have never trained a day in your life.

I personally feel your best bet is to find a trainer. You cannot replicate what a good trainer does for you in person. How a trainer pushes and challenges you. Someone to hold up the hits and correct your form. See things you cannot see. You're not going to get that instantaneous training online. Whether it's a local boxing gym or if you're able to somehow find a trainer in your area to have sessions with. If a gym isn't just 5-10 minutes away, but rather something more like 40,60minutes away, still consider it. Maybe it just means you primarily train at home/local, but couple or few times a month get to that boxing gym that's an hour away to put into practice what you work on at home. You might be motivated by wanting to show your progression the next time you see your trainer.

If that's not a possibility right now, one of the better things you can do is keep in shape. Jog. shadowbox. keep your muscles active with some efficient lifting (not too heavy). Write/type out a plan/routine for yourself to follow. An example might be that for round 1 you only focus on the single jab. Round 2 is the double jab. Round 3 is the jab-right. Round 4 is the jab-jab-right. Round 5 is the left hook. Round 6 is the right-left hook. Round 7 is the jab-right-left hook. Round 8 is the jab-jab-right-left hook. Round 9 is the jab-right-left hook-right-left hook. Round 10 is the jab-right-jab-right. Round 11 is the jab-right-jab-right-jab-right-lefthook-righthook-lefthook-righthook. Round 12 is simply movement, lateral, bob n weav, etc. Another session may just be jogging and jump rope. Ultimately, in the wait or search for training, you want to get your muscle memory, fitness and mind/focus back up.

Then find time to step away from your daily routine every once in a while and experience something different. Meet some people and consider avoiding isolation. It helps to be around people who lift you up. I know meeting friends is hard, but you'll need to find positive situations where you can meet people.

Motivation can be tough, but also simple. Don't overthink it. Decide that you want to be better and do more. Write out the things you KNOW you need to do to work towards achieving the goals. Then make sure you start off and focus on achieving the first stepping stone until it's complete. Then move to the next. It's a good way to track progress.

All in all, know that you have someone here praying for you in addition to giving you some loose advice.
      Cant thank you enough for spending the time out of a busy day to write out your response it is truelly appreciated. Very constructive advice.

Now I've never really got into religion although I'm interested in spirituality and eastern beliefs regarding the mind and nature I have practised mindfulness meditation though it's not effective at the moment my mind races/over thinks.
      I get what you mean age wise and since I've started shadowboxing again some of the muscle memory has been retained its my stamina and overall health thats a big issue so your advice on seeking a trainer is something I will actively pursue once I have got a hold on my anxiety some days I feel great others I just hide dont answer the phone go out etc. I continue to train indoors but im wary of picking up bad habits exhibiting bad form techniques.

Your shadowbox plan is fantastic I will right that down I used to do something similar one round offense next round defense. Would you recommend some input regarding form before I heavily shadowbox throwing the punches in the sequence you have suggested?

Now the friend thing is a part of my problem before I moved areas I was outgoing sociable found joy in the small things. Since being in this new area I've struggled with keeping down a job haven't made any friends just acquaintances or familar faces at the local shop I've remained isolated and due to not working I have a limited wardrobe lack of confidence as I feel worthless feel out of place almost like a tramp but I am snapping out of it just talking to you guys has helped massively.

I will also take on board the writing down goals and motivation s I want a better life and for someone who did once have great ambitions and drive I need to improve. I know its not alot especially from me but if you ever need any advice etc let me know I have time for anyone like yourself. Have a great day and thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyM View Post
        First off, the following are just my opinion, not advice or the like.
        Don't trust the doctors, many times they are just guessing and don't REALLY know what they are doing. They had me on high dose prednisone and antibiotics for 6 months, screwed me up way worse than I initially was. They misdiagnosed me and treated me with drugs that made my condition FAR worse. They treat symptoms, not causes. There is no gain for them if they cure you, but lots of gain to keep you sick for life. Doctors are in the big pharma pockets, or they're too scared to non-comply.
        Do some research on what has worked for others in your situation. See what worked or helped others to get off of the meds. I dealt with brain fog for over a year, absolutely horrible, hellish. Finally feel like myself again, for the most part. You deserve to feel like yourself again too, but you have to make it happen, no one else knows EXACTLY what will work for you, least of all doctors. Be careful with whatever you decide to do, brain chemistry is nothing to play with imo. Going off your meds could be very dangerous, I'm sure at the very least would need to be tapered off over a period of time.
        I would suggest looking at curezone.org forums, I was able to reclaim my health with the help of others experience on those forums. Keep on keepin on man, we're all in this together.
        I am sorry to hear of what the doctors put you through I very much have had a similar experience. Until recently I didn't have a need to go doctors I was fairly healthy but when I stopped leaving the house or answering the phone I felt no choice but to confide in a doctor who prescribed anti anxiety meds (pregabalin) and antipyscho (serequel) in my ignorance I thought doc knows best two years later with research on big pharma the mind control/diminishing neuron capacity etc I feel wronged and have stopped the anti anxiety and am tapering off the pyschs I actually feel a lot better but id put that down to communication and having really helpful and thoughtful advice from yourself and others the brain fogs clearing im able to tap into my adrenalin again just shadowboxing feel more energetic.
        Great advice on forums I tend to go on them alot for research and confirming others methods for recovery of body and mind

I am glad you have somewhat recovered and thanks again for the helpful info man

Comment

Originally posted by Richard P View Post
          Get yourself to a gym, doesn't have to be a thoroughbred amateur gym, but no one will laugh at you, heck, you have experience, fitness will come, reflexes will sharpen, but you have that foundation of knowledge.

I did an entire hour with 2 newbies (1st class, for them) I was off work for the day so went to a different class. All we did was slip, right hand, slip right hand. I enjoyed it even with my experience. Basics are not below anyone.

Baby steps, get your confidence back, if the gym is 40 mins away, that's a good steady jog and a 10 min walk/cool down ready for your session, if you can get to the gym fortnightly, then weekly then twice a week.

Good luck buddy, stay strong
          Thanks for your response mate I can see the value in going to a gym I used to be trained by former commonwealth cruiserweight chris okoh in chadwell st mary Abc essex
          Very knowledgeable trainer taught me the basics I was like a sponge my fosterdad loved boxing taught me a lot also but you're right just the basics to begin with I must of threw thousands of jabs before I started hooking I try to perfect one punch at a time along with footwork how necessary or un necessary a punch might be depending on the situation whether im on the backfoot conserving energy or using throw away punches to hide my power punch I loved every facet of boxing the resilience psychology physicality of it ive just lost the means to train with others mentally took a bit of a battering in my mind but I will get there. Appreciate your advice nice one bud

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
            Sports, training of a regular basis, will keep your mind distracted and at bay from most evils out there. At least it does for me.
            Ah most definitely I think as humans we are geared towards a somewhat sedentary existence in my experience the more I'm idle the more I tend to ruminate overthink negativity. Thanks for the response enjoy the rest of your day mate

Comment

You mention about lack of funds, maybe have a word with the owner on the side, he may cut you a deal, maybe do a reduced rate for a couple of months (don't tell everyone though). It is his business, but if he sees your passion, who knows. I lost my job a few years back (granted I'd been at this gym for quite a while) said I need to suspend my membership for a while whilst I get back on my feet. The owner said don't worry about it, he'd rather see me train than not, he knew it was temporary situation and let me train free of charge. Luckily I was back in work 4 weeks later but it helped me out

I've been in boxing gyms for a long time, trust me, most guys are not wealthy, a lot of guys work multiple jobs and live pay day to pay day. This isn't golf or polo, by its nature it's a working class sport

Comment

It's great and I feel very happy

Comment

Originally posted by Richard P View Post
                  You mention about lack of funds, maybe have a word with the owner on the side, he may cut you a deal, maybe do a reduced rate for a couple of months (don't tell everyone though). It is his business, but if he sees your passion, who knows. I lost my job a few years back (granted I'd been at this gym for quite a while) said I need to suspend my membership for a while whilst I get back on my feet. The owner said don't worry about it, he'd rather see me train than not, he knew it was temporary situation and let me train free of charge. Luckily I was back in work 4 weeks later but it helped me out

I've been in boxing gyms for a long time, trust me, most guys are not wealthy, a lot of guys work multiple jobs and live pay day to pay day. This isn't golf or polo, by its nature it's a working class sport
                  I believe some gyms have programs or classes that are free of charge to those who are old, young or lack proper funds.

Comment

Working...
                  X