Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could I just go to the Kronk Gym, pay a monthly fee, and practice?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could I just go to the Kronk Gym, pay a monthly fee, and practice?

Could I go to the Kronk Gym and start working out?

Obviously Im sure some times and space are reserved for steward's top prospects, but can i not pay like 50 bucks a month and use it to workout?

Could I just stroll in and watch andy lee, and cornelius bundrage train? Is that where Steward trains most of his fighters that aren't superstars and have their own training camps and gyms?

BUMP-age!??

i really want to start trying my hand in a reputable gym.

Comment

Usually it works like this:

There is the amateur hours and pro hours, amateur is where all the kids/woman/old men/fat slobs(this is how the Gym earns its money from all of the above guys) come in and do some pad work/jump rope/MAYBE spar IF YOU BEEN THERE LONG TIME AND THEY TRUST YOU

When the Pro's come in to train I doubt theres anyone else there except top amateur fighters and pro fighters/coaches/sparring partners.

Atleast this is how it works in the few gyms I know.

Say like

9am-3pm Private
      4pm-8 Public

Just call the Gym and ask, but dont expect to spar for a few months

also: most fighters I know also own a key to their gym so they can come whenever they want, so they could show up at any time but its rare since if theres no coach/sparring partners/etc the fighter could do his exercizes at home solo
      Last edited by Medved; 07-05-2011, 08:27 AM.

Comment

also, in the gyms where my friends train (Olympic Canada Amateurs and a few good upcoming prospects) your 50$ wont get you anything, it just lets you come to the gym during public time and skip rope/work out by yourself/do some solo padwork with your own equip.

If you actually want to spar and work with a trainer its going to cost you alot per hour (atleast 50$+ for random trainer), If Manny gives private lessons its probably a few hundred per hour if not more.

Top Amateurs and Pro fighters obviously dont pay anything and they get all of their coaching and supplies for free but dont expect much for $50 except maybe getting a peak of some Pro's once or twice a week.

Maybe his gym has some sort of group package where a trainer works with a group of casuals for maybe 20$ or 30$ an hour each or something, but for $50 a month its just basically to solo workout.

Unless they see some promise in you then they might say we will train you for free if you sign a contract that you will be with them once you turn pro, but usually this happens with kids who have been there for years and have a great amateur record (Nationals,Olympics), those are the dudes that get a really free ride with no expenses and could even get paid for expenses so they dont have to work.

I dont know how his Gym works but what I wrote above is from what I have seen from a few prestigous gyms here in Canada. They are small but produce national level and olympic level talent and have currently 3 Canadian Champs and a bunch of former champs.

YMMV as there are some "Mega" "Holywood" gyms which is just for making cash and its more of a Gym than a boxing gym and they sell you dumb items/gloves/dumb supplies/nutrients/dumb programs. etc

Comment

Just walk in and talk to somebody. The owner is an arabic guy who doesn't speak English very well. There are a few trainers there, you'll notice them right away. A couple of younger black dudes who are usually training with kids. Kids don't pay anything to train and when I talked to the owner he said it would be about $20 a month if I wanted to train there.

Sugar Hill is who trains Andy Lee when Steward is not around and he is usually there. I think he may be related to Emanuel because they sound identical.

You are free to walk into the gym anytime and watch the kids train and just sit outside the ring and watch a sparring session.

Catching Steward there is probably a rare occurrence because he has fighters like Klitschko, Andy Lee, Miguel Cotto, etc... I have been there many times at all different hours and have never seen him but have seen Sugar Hill a lot.

I say walk in and check it out, it's fun to watch the sparring. Some of the kids there are really good. Erick De Leon is a fighter out of Kronk who I was able to see at the golden gloves about a month ago. He's an incredible talent and will be going pro after he wins the gold and I am excited for his career. He totally walked over a kid who was supposedly the best out of Ohio.

I wanted to train there but I was rear ended by a semi while sitting at a light on my crotch rocket. The semi wasn't paying attention and slammed me into another truck. I should be dead but I only suffered a major concussion, rotator cuff, pec muscle, right knee, and neck and back injury but with no broken bones or tears. I got lucky, but as of today I still can't do a pushup, otherwise I'd be up there myself.

Depending on who you are they may train you for free. If you're old and out of shape you will probably have to pay. If you're young and talented they will probably train you for free.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
            Just walk in and talk to somebody. The owner is an arabic guy who doesn't speak English very well. There are a few trainers there, you'll notice them right away. A couple of younger black dudes who are usually training with kids. Kids don't pay anything to train and when I talked to the owner he said it would be about $20 a month if I wanted to train there.

Sugar Hill is who trains Andy Lee when Steward is not around and he is usually there. I think he may be related to Emanuel because they sound identical.

You are free to walk into the gym anytime and watch the kids train and just sit outside the ring and watch a sparring session.

Catching Steward there is probably a rare occurrence because he has fighters like Klitschko, Andy Lee, Miguel Cotto, etc... I have been there many times at all different hours and have never seen him but have seen Sugar Hill a lot.

I say walk in and check it out, it's fun to watch the sparring. Some of the kids there are really good. Erick De Leon is a fighter out of Kronk who I was able to see at the golden gloves about a month ago. He's an incredible talent and will be going pro after he wins the gold and I am excited for his career. He totally walked over a kid who was supposedly the best out of Ohio.

I wanted to train there but I was rear ended by a semi while sitting at a light on my crotch rocket. The semi wasn't paying attention and slammed me into another truck. I should be dead but I only suffered a major concussion, rotator cuff, pec muscle, right knee, and neck and back injury but with no broken bones or tears. I got lucky, but as of today I still can't do a pushup, otherwise I'd be up there myself.

Depending on who you are they may train you for free. If you're old and out of shape you will probably have to pay. If you're young and talented they will probably train you for free.
            How is the new gym compared to the Old Kronk? and really? an Arabic guy owns it? I thought Steward owned the old Kronk(took it over in the 70's or 80's) and he also owned the new one? Its not like he doesnt have the money to run the gym by himself that he would need financial backers, but people who own Boxing gyms like Kronk dont do it for the money since most of the good gyms that produce real talent need to have yearly fund-raisers just to earn upkeep of the Gym.

Its sad that the only places that make money are those new Hollywood gyms that dont teach you anything but sell you a bunch of crap you dont need.

Comment

Originally posted by Medved View Post
              How is the new gym compared to the Old Kronk? and really? an Arabic guy owns it? I thought Steward owned the old Kronk(took it over in the 70's or 80's) and he also owned the new one? Its not like he doesnt have the money to run the gym by himself that he would need financial backers, but people who own Boxing gyms like Kronk dont do it for the money since most of the good gyms that produce real talent need to have yearly fund-raisers just to earn upkeep of the Gym.

Its sad that the only places that make money are those new Hollywood gyms that dont teach you anything but sell you a bunch of crap you dont need.
              The new gym is much much smaller. It's very small. The ring is in the back of the gym about 5 feet from a wall, and in front of that toward the door there is only about 15 feet or so. Very small gym, and with 10 or 15 people inside it's very crowded.

I think if Steward really wanted to run the gym he'd have fixed it up or bought a bigger location somewhere. Instead he let the other gym literally fall apart to where the pipes were coming through the walls and once it was left abandoned, thieves came in and stole all the copper piping from the place. Like you said, he has the money if he really wanted to open a decent gym in Detroit, there is plenty of buildings he could have done so in. If you've never been to Detroit, I really can't even describe how much empty abandoned buildings there are, plenty of which are in decent areas near Downtown where he could get a HUGE plot of space for VERY CHEAP and run the gym on donations.

The owner is an Arabic guy, yes. At least that is what I was told when I was introduced to him, that he was the owner.

Here is a picture of the new gym
              http://alumniroundup.com/wp-content/...1/dscn1513.jpg

Notice how there is arabic written on the banner, as it is further from Detroit and closer to Dearborn so there are many Arabs who train there. There is a little Arabic kid who was boxing out of kronk at the golden gloves and he was phenomenal. Only 9 years old with handspeed like Naseem Hamed with a looping left hook that could probably knock most of us out.

Kronk has some bad ass little dudes.

But as far as I know, Emanuel does not own the gym, an Arabic man bought the space and after Detroit closed down, he used the name. Emanuel may have some ownership in it for using the name, but he is not the sole owner anyway, I know that much.

Comment

Working...
              X