No announcement yet.

Michael Spinks vs Cleveland Williams

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Spinks vs Cleveland Williams

The Spinks who battered Cooney to the deck vs prime Williams...who takes it? Does Williams catch Spinks or does Spinks out box and stop Williams

I have the feeling most people will select Spinks because he was more accomplished. But can a prime Williams do just a little more than an old Holmes was able to pull off.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
      I have the feeling most people will select Spinks because he was more accomplished. But can a prime Williams do just a little more than an old Holmes was able to pull off.
      I agree with you, I give the edge to Williams in the fight. I didn't think all that much of Spinks at heavyweight when matched against greats and I felt Holmes won both fights.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
        I agree with you, I give the edge to Williams in the fight. I didn't think all that much of Spinks at heavyweight when matched against greats and I felt Holmes won both fights.
        I felt Holmes won both fights too. I don't know how I feel now.

Comment

Well remember, Williams was KO'd by 176 pound Bob Satterfield. Satterfield was a hard puncher, but he was only a pound above the LHW limit. Spinks would be 208 pounds with more skill than Satterfield and likely an equal or greater hitter than Satterfield given the extra weight behind his punch and the fact that at 175 he was already an ATG puncher.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
            I felt Holmes won both fights too. I don't know how I feel now.
            I think Spinks won the first fight fair and square, he convincingly out boxed Holmes, IMO. The second fight I give to Holmes, but the thing is, the scoring is very subjective so it depends on the criteria you use to judge a fight.

Comment

Spinks clearly won the first fight and clearly lost the second one IMO.

Comment

Me too. I never thought Spinks took the fight to Holmes enough to take the title.

Comment

Humm.... Nah. You guys are trying to sell this... You are starting with the assumption that there is not a valid reason why "most people would take spinks" in this fight. You had me going with the holmes talk as well. But i am not buying it.

Williams didn't have anything on Spinks that Spinks could not handle. One mark of a great light heavy/cruiser is that they can go up and handle the good fighters in the heavyweight division, when there is low hanging fruit, and Williams was the definition of good to excellent. Strong, good reach, good chin, stamina, but not with the skill of a premier boxer puncher like Spinks. Heres an analogy: It would be like when Bob Foster mossied on up to fight Quarry.

Comment

i think the fight is a toss up really, if I had a gun to my head I'd probably take Cleveland Williams.
                    I think it was Mike Quarry who Bob Foster fought.
                    Jerry Quarry defeated the legendary Mac Foster

Comment

Working...
                    X