4. George Foreman
    5. John L. Sullivan
    6. Gene Tunney
    7. James J. Jeffries
    8. Jack Johnson
    9. Tommy Burns
    10. Joe Louis
    11. Larry Holmes
    Joe Louis in the top 10 chins? I don't think that's been 'done before'.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
      Joe Louis in the top 10 chins? I don't think that's been 'done before'.
      I know, it may be why I cheated the list out to 11.

The two black marks against his chin are Schmeling (I) nd Marciano. I believe we all can agree to put aside the Marciano fight due to age, which leaves the Schmeling fight.

'The kid' Louis took a terrific beating (eating multiple right hands) and finally succumb after 12 rounds. But I believe that night Schmeling's right hand would have put most other fighters to bed considerably earlier.

All the rest of the big shots Louis took, he stood up to (or got back up from.)

But yea maybe I am speaking from the heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey-Louis View Post
        But yea maybe I am speaking from the heart.
        You certainly are. I could be mean and start posting unflattering gifs in this thread, but I'll just say that it's pretty obvious that Louis had a below average chin(especially compared to the best chins) which he made up for with heart and willpower.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
          Oliver McCall, Bowe and Holyfield deserve a mention.
          Agreed. How Holyfield wasn't on the list confused me. His chin was solid.

Comment

See clemenza post

Comment

McCall was never hwt champion. Jeffries should rank very high. He took Fitz murderous blows which wrecked his face but he never went down. Fitz was one of few who could KO a man with one blow.

Comment

Schmelings greatness is downplayed today. He caused a sensation drawing record crowds when he came to NY in the late 20's. He was either champion or a leading contender for ten years. Max right hard was considered boxings hardest punch back in the 30's. A true calculating tough boxer Max is not given his due today.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
                  McCall was never hwt champion. Jeffries should rank very high. He took Fitz murderous blows which wrecked his face but he never went down. Fitz was one of few who could KO a man with one blow.

He won the WBC knocking out Lewis.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
                    You certainly are. I could be mean and start posting unflattering gifs in this thread, but I'll just say that it's pretty obvious that Louis had a below average chin(especially compared to the best chins) which he made up for with heart and willpower.
                    Post them - not a challenge -- I don't see this as a right and wrong thing; I like having my opinion called out, it's fun . . . but if you got some good clips of Louis getting pasted, post them. It will be fun to watch.

I always thought it a shame that we really don't have a good clip of Firpo knocking Dempsey out of the ring.

Which BTW I didn't put Dempsey on my list (the other 'heart' call) but I noticed others did. What do you think of him being on a top ten list for chins?

Comment

Paper titles don't count. McCall was never hwt champion.

Comment

Working...
                      X